Best Price/ Peformance Ratio

damiwahn

Hi guys I'm in the process of re building a work colleagues pc which died due to a motherboard failiure.

The only parts I need are a new case, some ram and a new mobo/cpu.

Ive already decided pretty much on the case and ram although any input would be appreciated.

Zalman z5 due to having more than 2 hdd bays in a fairly short case. About 45 cm is the tallest it can be.

PNY XLR8 8gb (2x4gb) ram. Simply the cheapest 8gb 1600mhz I can get.

However I'm mainly looking for some advice on CPU/MOBO combos.

My colleague would like to stay with intel if possible. The current cpu is a i5-750 so I'm looking for something with abit more power but not too pricey, certainly don't need a k chip , an i7 or anything like that. The mobo can be atx or Matx although atx would probably be a waste of space as he has only a 7970 and no plans to crossfire or install a NIC or sound card.

Im in the uk and the budget is about £110 - £180 ish but its quite flexible as the most important factor really is price to performance.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

Case: Corsair 600t      CPU: 2500k @ 4.7Ghz     Cooler: Corsair h60      Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO   Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 

GPU: Asus GTX560ti     PSU: Corsair HX750       SSD: 128GB Sandisk Extreme   HDD: 2 x 2TB WD Green in RAID 1  

LED's: ICEMODZ LED Strips

Price to performance king is the FX 6300.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Cheers for that. He didnt really want to go amd (bad experience in the past) but thats a beast for the money!

Are there any particular boards that you recommend? Im thinking something like the Asus m5A78L?

Case: Corsair 600t      CPU: 2500k @ 4.7Ghz     Cooler: Corsair h60      Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO   Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 

GPU: Asus GTX560ti     PSU: Corsair HX750       SSD: 128GB Sandisk Extreme   HDD: 2 x 2TB WD Green in RAID 1  

FX 6300 and a Gigabyte GA-9900FXA-UD3

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Cheers for that. He didnt really want to go amd (bad experience in the past) but thats a beast for the money!

Are there any particular boards that you recommend? Im thinking something like the Asus m5A78L?

There is such a wide selection, it comes mostly to personal preference. Just make sure to get a 900 series chipset (970,990x, 990fx) from a trusted brand (hint, not biostar) I'd recommend to take a 970 chipset motherboard to keep that price to performance ratio.

Cheers for the help! So I'm guessing its best to stay away from amd micro atx boards ?

Cheers for the help! So I'm guessing its best to stay away from amd micro atx boards ?

For the 8 cores, yes. 

There are some suitable matx mobos for cpus with less cores though.

What are the rest of the system specs? Why is he upgrading? Is he not getting enough frames for gaming?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.