I can't open .jar files (installing Optifine for Minecraft)

I want to install Optifine for Minecraft, so I downloaded it and got a .jar file. I have been told that you need java to open this file, and that you then just double click it to open the installer. So I downloaded java and chose to open the .jar file using: "Java(TM) Platform SE binary" (as was specified in the guide on how to install Optifine). When i double click the file, a tiny, what looks like a console command window, pops up and then disappears a fraction of a second later. Waiting does nothing. The program cannot be found in task manager.

I tried to reinstall java, but same thing. I've tried to change what java executable to open the file with, same thing. What can I do?

Try opening the .jar file trough java in command prompt, and check what kind of messages you get. (if any)

I solved the problem using jarfix. The game still runs like shit though :(

Next time you run into a jar problem don't install software. All you need to do is open cmd and do java -jar -program name-

Or create a new text file, and open it do java -jar -program name-

save the file as a .bat

then run the .bat

22 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

The game still runs like shit though :(

on what hardware?

i found that optifine does NOT give you the huge performance boost it promises. 

a few frames here and there maybe but if your system straight up chokes on vanilla minecraft then there is not much optifine can do

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

on what hardware?

a few frames here and there maybe but if your system straight up chokes on vanilla minecraft then there is not much optifine can do

He probably uses an old thinkpad from IBM.

Just now, VinZie said:

He probably uses an old thinkpad from IBM.

a thinkpad does not even need to be IBM-old to suck at minecraft - if it has a 1st gen core CPU and no dedicated GPU you are pretty much screwed.

i am writing this on a lenovo T410 that can barely get over 5fps in minecraft (or ANY other 3D game newer than half life 1) the iGPU is just too weak. it plays 2D games like a champ tho

a thinkpad does not even need to be IBM-old to suck at minecraft - if it has a 1st gen core CPU and no dedicated GPU you are pretty much screwed.

i am writing this on a lenovo T410 that can barely get over 5fps in minecraft (or ANY other 3D game newer than half life 1) the iGPU is just too weak. it plays 2D games like a champ tho

Try running roblox.

1 minute ago, VinZie said:

while this sounds promising:

We’re probably 95% of the way to a Linux port, now that we’ve all the work necessary to to OSX – which, as you probably know, is based on the UNIX kernel. I think the problem that we would likely run into on Linux is poor video driver support. I’ve heard horror stories from other developers. However, as Linux becomes more popular, I expect this hurdle to disappear. 

this totally doesn't:

ROBLOX is not currently supported on operating systems using the Linux kernel, and there are no plans from ROBLOX to support it.

i know that wine is a thing but i'd prefer a native port

besides that - i have a gaming capable windows desktop.

i just thought if gaming isn't this laptops strong point anyways then why would i need windows on it?

so i turned my laptop into a mint machine and learned a lot since i did. 

1 hour ago, KenjiUmino said:

on what hardware?

I run 1070 with 7600k

1 hour ago, -TesseracT- said:

I run 1070 with 7600k

lulz ... that hardware should really have no problem with the game ... REALLY 

52 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

lulz ... that hardware should really have no problem with the game ... REALLY 

I know. I can play every other game maxed out no problem. But i get lag spikes in minecraft, and game only runs at like 100-150 fps

Just now, -TesseracT- said:

I know. I can play everything else maxed out no problem. But i get lag spikes in minecraft, and game only runs at like 100-150 fps

lag spikes ? in singleplayer or online multiplayer ?

lag spikes ? in singleplayer or online multiplayer ?

single player