AMD RX Vega Leaked Benchmark Shows It Ahead Of GTX 1080 – Specs Confirmed, 1630MHz Clock Speed, 8GB HBM2 & 484GB/s Of Bandwidth

Mr_Troll
1 minute ago, dexT said:

Alright you guys are right. It will be over $500 and no one will buy.

I think AMD knows how to price according to the market weighed against profits. More than anyone on this forum does.

It will also be priced according to performance. As has been pretty clear for a while now: you can extrapolate price based on the average performance level. However, we don't know the final performance numbers until early August. Those drivers are a work-in-progress. A work that has been too slow for my taste.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

I think AMD knows how to price according to the market weighed against profits. More than anyone on this forum does.

It will also be priced according to performance. As has been pretty clear for a while now: you can extrapolate price based on the average performance level. However, we don't know the final performance numbers until early August. Those drivers are a work-in-progress. A work that has been too slow for my taste.

10% faster than 1080 while being 10% cheaper seems to be an attractive price point. 

3 minutes ago, mach said:

10% faster than 1080 while being 10% cheaper seems to be an attractive price point. 

~$449 USD.  I could see that. It was the launch price of the 1070.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I just don't believe these numbers.

Unless someone can explain how halfing the RAM and boosting the core clock by 30Mhz can push performance so far ahead of Vega FE I'm sorry but I just don't see these numbers as being real.

Linus said on last weeks wan show, Vega FE & Vega RX are the exact same die, sure there might be a few small changes but essentially Vega is Vega and basic physics tells us you can't magically make something out of nothing which leaves 3 scenarios

1) AMD is infact Hogwarts

2) They gimped Vega FE

3) These numbers are not real

Which one do you think is more likely?

Base speed of 1630Mhz compared to Frontier Edition base of 1380Mhz with Boost to 1600Mhz. The FE during all tests with PcPer never exceeded 1440Mhz.

So it makes sense than if it was at a stable 1630Mhz it would do that well.

Especially if like the Fury X, the top RX Vega comes with an AIO water cooler on it.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, dorin said:

Why Raja Koduri is still working at AMD? Just why?

The man is responsable for Fiji failure, Polaris seni-mediocracy and another failure with Vega most probably.

#FireRaja

He's not, He was put in charge of RTG September 2015. That's months after Fiji launched.

Raja worked at ATI during it's golden time, and was at AMD when the amazing 4870 and 5870 were released. After that he moved to Apple as head of graphics.

So by the time Raja came back to AMD and was placed in charge of Radeon Technologies Group, Polaris was done, and Vega was mostly done. He's here to fix their messes, and hopefully get Navi up to snuff.

1 hour ago, DLex said:

MSRP or actual retailer price?

Most likely MSRP, and the card isn't meant to be good for mining (same hashrate as 580) it will hopefully remain around MSRP.

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

No way amd will be selling vega (the full chip) that cheap

Why not? They did that with Ryzen after all.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

3 minutes ago, RedSpade said:

Ryzen is under 200 mm^2, Vega is 484 mm^2 PLUS expensive HBM2.

$400 would be a low price even for the cutdown one

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

3 minutes ago, RedSpade said:

Most likely MSRP, and the card isn't meant to be good for mining (same hashrate as 580) it will hopefully remain around MSRP.

Very different products. And Ryzen is a much smaller chip also. Can't compare them at all.

2 hours ago, dorin said:

Why Raja Koduri is still working at AMD? Just why?

The man is responsable for Fiji failure, Polaris seni-mediocracy and another failure with Vega most probably.

#FireRaja

U fookin' wot, mate?

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

49 minutes ago, dexT said:

That's what they have to do or only AMD enthusiasts will buy. A little more might be OK.

So the only way for them to go is to bankrupt themselves. Got it.

Mate, that's not happening. They aren't in a position where they can throw these out of helicopters with little parachutes over populated areas. They still need money.

1 minute ago, Urishima said:

So the only way for them to go is to bankrupt themselves. Got it.

Mate, that's not happening. They aren't in a position where they can throw these out of helicopters with little parachutes over populated areas. They still need money.

They'd make more money because everybody would buy. Would you buy at least one?

Just now, dexT said:

They'd make more money because everybody would buy. Would you buy at least one?

To make money on a product, one has to sell it for more than what was invested to create or procure it.

1 minute ago, Urishima said:

To make money on a product, one has to sell it for more than what was invested to create or procure it.

How much did they spend per unit?

Volta will be out soon so these cards might be obsolete in a couple of months.

Just now, dexT said:

How much did they spend per unit?

Volta will be out soon so these cards might be obsolete in a couple of months.

You do realize that you have to factor in R&D costs into the prize of the product? Those engineers and developers don't live off of good feels, neither to the tools they use.

4 hours ago, RKRiley said:

Uh, but the 1080 is running at 1607 mhz, and the 1080ti at 1481 mhz? who actually games with them at those speeds.

And i imagine Vega won't be able to overclock as much as those two can.

My 1080ti hits 2.0GHz without going over 40c. Although I have a massively overkill water cooling system (a thick 120mm rad and a thick 480mm rad for just the GPU and CPU)

I should point out I'm only using it to run three 1080p 60hz monitors. It doesn't really struggle with that. Only thing I've had it not like is Metro LL in 5760x1080p

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, Urishima said:

You do realize that you have to factor in R&D costs into the prize of the product? Those engineers and developers don't live off of good feels, neither to the tools they use.

How much did it cost? And per unit?

Just now, dexT said:

How much did it cost? And per unit?

Why the hell are you asking me that?

Just now, Urishima said:

Why the hell are you asking me that?

You asked me

8 minutes ago, Urishima said:

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Does he look like AMD?  Ask Raja. xD

Let me get those digits :}

Welp, looks like Vega definitely won't be curing cancer. If they can at least price it right, imagine if they priced it as much as a 1070? That would be a huge upset. If they price it like a 1080, then they're fucked and no one will buy it.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Welp, looks like Vega definitely won't be curing cancer. If they can at least price it right, imagine if they priced it as much as a 1070? That would be a huge upset. If they price it like a 1080, then they're fucked and no one will buy it.

If it fills the gap between 1070 and 1080, top Vega go down well; without getting too close to the RX 580 with the cut down Vega version that'll be ~1070 speeds.

All about pricing. I also noticed on Gamer's Nexus that their tested showed the Frontier Edition cooler is better than the Titan Xp reference one. So for once AMD didn't make a crappy blower cooler. Their issue is how hot that damn package gets.

If they could have reduced TDP by even 30% this gen the the reference card would have been a good buy for once. 

Although given that FE's max boost is 1600Mhz, and we're seeing Vega chips at 1630Mhz; I suspect top RX Vega will be water cooled like the Fury X; so hopefully that cooler doesn't up the MSRP too much and push it too close to the 1080's.

[IMG]

15 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

I suspect top RX Vega will be water cooled like the Fury X

Oh pls no

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

That still doesn't explain how FE can barely match a 1070 yet RX lands somewhere between a 1080 & 1080ti? That's way to much of a discrepancy to be software.

It's close to a 1070 in much scenarios as it is close to a 1080 though...

13 minutes ago, Agost said:

Oh pls no

Well that's not an issue as long as AMD allows AIBs to create custom boards as well; keeping the AIO for reference only.

With the Fury X they tried to be Titan like, by also not allowed AIB boards for it.

7 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Well that's not an issue as long as AMD allows AIBs to create custom boards as well; keeping the AIO for reference only.

With the Fury X they tried to be Titan like, by also not allowed AIB boards for it.

Plus the pcb is super overkill and the shroud is beautiful