1080p 144hz CPU & RAM

Hey guys , First off thanks for stopping by , I built my PC around my old Asrock p67pro3 , upgraded from an I3 3220 dual core with hyperthreading to a second hand i5 3570k , Im still using 1333 DDR3 8 GB ram , and got a gtx 1070 STRIX but i feel like my cpu and ram are too weak for newer titles and holding my GPU back ALOT .I'm wondering IF I should upgrade to a newer platform altogether and dump the old MOBO . I'm really leaning towards Ryzen ( r5 1600 or 1500x with a b350 mobo and 16 gigs ram ) given the i7 7700k overheating problems and don't want to delid + it's way too expensive  or just buy an I7 3770K second hand and 16 gigs of ram and  call it a day ? I'm aiming to overclock the i7 3770k to atleast 4.2 GHZ IF i decide on it , my I5 3570k was at 4.4 ghz but i was experiencing strange frame dips and rolled back the OC to 4.2 and its more stable now , so what do you think will the i7 3770k be able to drive every game at atleast 100 fps or is it too old for that , sorry If my request sounds stupid .

1493694945556.jpg

Hi 

I recommend you to go with ryzen , that 3770k is too old which means if you want to upgrade it later , you need to buy another mobo

R5 1600 is a good choice 

Gaming at 1080p 144hz. Do you need max, ultra setting in every triple A game? If yes, then you need a 4C/8T, 4.5ghz above cpu with a 1080 or 1080 Ti.

Otherwise go for 1600, it is more affordable, and you just lower your settings if you want higher fps.

6 hours ago, TDCDigital said:

How much would the I7 3770K cost you

It would cost me around 160 usd

5 hours ago, NoMercy said:

Gaming at 1080p 144hz. Do you need max, ultra setting in every triple A game? If yes, then you need a 4C/8T, 4.5ghz above cpu with a 1080 or 1080 Ti.

Otherwise go for 1600, it is more affordable, and you just lower your settings if you want higher fps.

I would want preferably max settings , I have an Asus GTX 1070 Strix oc'd to 2075 MHZ with 250 on memory

9 hours ago, TheWiLDRAT said:

I would want preferably max settings , I have an Asus GTX 1070 Strix oc'd to 2075 MHZ with 250 on memory

Dont think you can have all ultra max settings with 1070, and still have 100++ fps though.

Since you are saying your CPU, RAM holding your GPU alot, can you show us your CPU, RAM, and GPU usage while playing games, with ultra, max settings?

What I suppect, your CPU and RAM, for now only bottleneck for a little. Once you upgraded them, your GPU will be the bottleneck.

The perfect combo for gaming is 7700k + 16GB + 1080 Ti. You can get max, ultra settings in 1080p with very high refresh rate, 100++ fps or even 200++ fps. But I highly doubt that you want this.

In GTA V i get around 95% usage on my CPU on all 4 cores sometimes it gets to 100% but only on 2 cores , not all 4 , and the game uses around 7.2 GB of my ram , the problem is when i start driving around in a car and the fps just dies , gets to low 40's even , but when I go inside a building or something I see my GPU fully maxed out and the cpu calms down a bit , the FPS jumps to over 100 . In Rise of the Tomb Raider I get dips when i change zones and from time to time brief drops which i think is the cpu because the gpu is around 60% usage when that occurs , other than that Im really going to get an r5 1600 when I can and some fast ddr4 ram . I was just overestimating the gains from the i5 3570k greatly , it s a nice chip because I got it dirt cheap but it's not cutting it when u want to push 100+fps :( and I only realised that too late . Oh yeah and in WoW Legion when I max out all the sliders I run out of ram ( caused by view distance) and that's never fun . What else to say , I even went as far as optimizing my PC with un-used processes from windows , disabled all of them , all the desktop animations and shit are disabled all I left is so I see thumbnails In pictures and the smooth text . I'm going to go take some screenshots of it happening .

9 hours ago, NoMercy said:

Dont think you can have all ultra max settings with 1070, and still have 100++ fps though.

Since you are saying your CPU, RAM holding your GPU alot, can you show us your CPU, RAM, and GPU usage while playing games, with ultra, max settings?

What I suppect, your CPU and RAM, for now only bottleneck for a little. Once you upgraded them, your GPU will be the bottleneck.

The perfect combo for gaming is 7700k + 16GB + 1080 Ti. You can get max, ultra settings in 1080p with very high refresh rate, 100++ fps or even 200++ fps. But I highly doubt that you want this.

Here's some screenshots of GTA V GTA5_2017_07_06_12_43_27_240.bmpGTA5_2017_07_06_12_48_57_559.bmpGTA5_2017_07_06_13_17_40_182.bmp

The last screenshot the GPU is power hungry because we hit the POWER limiter , so only in cases of chill gameplay is it fully used 

15 minutes ago, TheWiLDRAT said:

I think if you want the cheapest way, it would be getting the i7-3770k and adding one more 8GB RAM module. This should be removing the CPU and RAM bottleneck.

But if you want ultra super duper max settings, it would be depends on your graphic card, which I think 1070 might struggle.

You can refer to this, it was tested with a 4.2ghz i7, apparently it was bottlenecked by the GPU. FYI, they put the settings ultra max.

GWSbHr64JF3fE2xciEZ8x5-650-80.png 

A r5 1600 is for multitasking, it cant reach 144fps for sure, maybe 100~110 in some games, but not all.

well...at least you've learned a lesson...next time instead of buying a core i3, then a core i5 and then a core i7...just buy a core i7 straight from the get go and be set for years :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well...at least you've learned a lesson...next time instead of buying a core i3, then a core i5 and then a core i7...just buy a core i7 straight from the get go and be set for years :P

The core i3 was paired with a 650TI BOOST , I got the I5 3570k with the 1070 , but yeah I should have gotten an i7 

6 hours ago, NoMercy said:

I think if you want the cheapest way, it would be getting the i7-3770k and adding one more 8GB RAM module. This should be removing the CPU and RAM bottleneck.

But if you want ultra super duper max settings, it would be depends on your graphic card, which I think 1070 might struggle.

You can refer to this, it was tested with a 4.2ghz i7, apparently it was bottlenecked by the GPU. FYI, they put the settings ultra max.

GWSbHr64JF3fE2xciEZ8x5-650-80.png 

A r5 1600 is for multitasking, it cant reach 144fps for sure, maybe 100~110 in some games, but not all.

Yeah I'm looking only for the highest FPS I can get I'm not doing any editing and such tasks , but the r5 1600's value is just too good so I'm either getting that or an i7 3770k , the newer i7's are just too expensive for a quad core , and the motherboards are too .