Samsung is making a smart speaker with Bixby, says WSJ

Sources: The Verge & Wall Street Journal

I can't wait for smart pillows and smart shoes that will let me run faster. 

595c6d0e1e656_gs8theverge.PNG.f302b20f1b48577c8ae39c49375878d0.PNG

Samsung is working on a smart speaker powered by its new Bixby voice assistant, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. The project is said to be codenamed Vega, but little more is known about the device; its features and specifications are apparently yet to be decided, much less a release date.

The Vega project’s development is reportedly being slowed by the progress of Bixby itself. Samsung had to launch the Galaxy S8 without support for English voice commands, despite marketing Bixby as a prominent feature of the phone and giving it a dedicated button. Voice support started to roll out in preview form last month, but there’s clearly still a long way to go.

The WSJ now says Samsung sees the full release of Bixby voice support as “unlikely before the second half of July.”

I don't know how will Samsung be able to pull this off. Reviews of Bixby can be described as "just fine" at the moment and can't compete with Google Assistant and Siri on voice commands just yet. They better not put up their photocopiers and redo a trashcan with fishnet stockings design just like what Apple did. Would they be able to compete with audio quality? I don't know since audio reviews of the past Galaxy S7 and now the Galaxy S8 are kinda lackluster probably because of a crappy DAC.

Spoiler

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

It's a joke if you ask me. As much as I love the Samsung hardware, I can never get behind their weird software design choices...

Samuel Edwards

- IT Engineer and Media Producer -

Religious theology diploma and over half a dozen certificates in Advanced Computing and IT.

Current Project:   Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Just trying to be friendly and help where I can. Have yourself a great day!

Use @SamuelJE for friendly tech help :)

Main PC - "The Genesis"

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3

CPU     -   intel i5-6600K 4Ghz on water

GPU     -   MSI GTX970 "Red Dragon"

Case    -   Zalman Z11 Plus (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

SSD     -   Crucial 250GB SATA SSD

HDD    -    4TB WD Green x 2

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Secondary PC - "Jonah"   (Mineral oil PC)

Mobo   -   Gigabyte GA-B250-DH1

CPU     -   intel i5-7500 Under Oil

GPU     -   Nvidia GTX 660 (Favorite and first ever GPU)

Case    -   A Fish Tank W/ Custom Engineered Mounting System (Custom RGB Obviously, It's 2017 bro...)

OSD     -   Crucial 275GB M.2 SSD

HDD    -    2TB WD Green

Disp     -   LG ultra wide Gaming Monitor

Darn it, you stole what i wanted to post

Also, at this point, there are too many smart appliances

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

It was a challenge for Apple to make one, thats why they made it a speaker 1st and a smart home assistant second......I don't see how Samsung has the ability to do either well. 

Bixby is worse than Siri and from what I know Samsung Mobile would be making a dedicated speaker for the 1st time. 

Google and Amazon made their speakers assistants 1st, speakers second. Apple made theirs a speaker 1st and a home assistant second. 

I think the average user would much rather appreciate Apples approach. 

Lets see which way Samsung decides to go. (Imo, I'm not optimistic)

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Darn it, you stole what i wanted to post

I call dibs on this one :P

27 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Also, at this point, there are too many smart appliances

There were too many when there was one.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

34 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Sources: The Verge & Wall Street Journal

I can't wait for smart pillows and smart shoes that will let me run faster. 

I don't know how will Samsung be able to pull this off. Reviews of Bixby can be described as "just fine" at the moment and can't compete with Google Assistant and Siri on voice commands just yet. They better not put up their photocopiers and redo a trashcan with fishnet stockings design just like what Apple did. Would they be able to compete with audio quality? I don't know since audio reviews of the past Galaxy S7 and now the Galaxy S8 are kinda lackluster probably because of a crappy DAC.

Reveal hidden contents

Lol...... codename Vega

14 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

Lol...... codename Vega

if they delay the launch by nearly 6 months and everyone goes for their competitors, I will consider the entire thing satire.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that Samsung owns Harman (and by extent, AKG, Kardon, JBL and many other audio brands).

Samsung owns some of the biggest audio brands in the world and I have absolutely no doubt that they could make a great speaker if they wanted to.

My biggest question is, who the hell would want a speaker that runs Bixby?

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Me, so that I can further continue to not use Bixby. I've got to get my non-using Bixby numbers up.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

I could say the same thing about Alexa/Siri/et al.

The difference is that Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant are all mature AI voice helpers with an established level of competence (it's telling that the HomePod is music-focused, since that's Siri's strong point).  Samsung is still having trouble getting Bixby's voice features to work in any language other than Korean.  It's like announcing a trip to Mars when you've barely learned how to launch a rocket.

That and it's hard to shake the feeling that any eventual smart speaker would be classic Samsung: gigantic feature checklist, shoddy execution.  Yeah, it'll check the supplies in your Samsung smart fridge, but only after you yell a stiff-sounding command at the speaker for the fifth time.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If you haven't noticed, Samsung is very slowly distancing themselves from Google. They even built their own mobile OS Tizen as a backup in the event (although unlikely) that Android flopped. While Google Assistant is still available on the new GS8/GS8+, the Bixby button is locked down to Bixby alone and all software tweaks to reprogram the button is disabled unless the person roots his/her phone. Which is why it doesn't came as a surprise that Samsung ditched Google for their alleged smart speaker. 

18 minutes ago, Commodus said:

The difference is that Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant are all mature AI voice helpers with an established level of competence

I was thinking more about not wanting to own any "voice helper", not just how good it is.  Maybe it's just me, though.  I've never even used the voice function on my phone.  Ever.

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I was thinking more about not wanting to own any "voice helper", not just how good it is.  Maybe it's just me, though.  I've never even used the voice function on my phone.  Ever.

I have, not really all that helpful. I had to test a headset's mic.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I love the S8's bixby button; I use it all the time. As in, I've remapped the button to an app I actually use

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

WSJ isn't a very credible source tho -_-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

On 2017-07-05 at 7:20 PM, Jito463 said:

Voice assistants can be very helpful if you have smart home devices, want to check the weather or tend to sent reminders.  Nothing like turning all the lights on at home while you're taking off your coat.

12 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Voice assistants can be very helpful if you have smart home devices, want to check the weather or tend to sent reminders.  Nothing like turning all the lights on at home while you're taking off your coat.

The only thing I can make Siri useful is to set a timer when I'm cooking (Hey Siri, set timer for 45 minutes my roasted ribs). Unfortunately, Siri can't make multiple timers when I'm cooking more than one dish.