People's experiences with Spektrum glasses and other Blue Light reducing technologies?

Skeeter

Hi

Like a lot of people I use a PC and my phone a lot, and often go to bed straight after using a device. The Spektrum glasses got me thinking about using some blue light reducing technologies in the evenings to stop me laying in bed wide awake at 1am.

I'm interested to hear any feedback and experiences people have with blue light reducing tech. Glasses or software solutions alike. Basically to understand if it's worth getting something and if it really does help. I mainly will be using my phone and using my pc of an evening, and watching TV in at least 2 different places, which is why the glasses grabbed me over any software solutions. Glad to hear all feedback on everything though, thanks.

Just enable the setting in windows. It costs $0.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

phone solutions without root are horrible. they just apply a crappy poop-color filter on your entire screen.

windows 10's night mode is great, and I use it 24/7

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Enderman said:

Just enable the setting in windows. It costs $0.

There's a Windows setting? Where?

And how does it affect games? As that's usually why I end up on my PC of an evening.

17 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

And how does it affect games? As that's usually why I end up on my PC of an evening.

Click on the message icon and then hit night light (windows 10).

For Android I use darker pro.

I haven't tried using night light over games but it's pretty nice to have it automatically change depending on the time of the day 

21 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

In the windows settings...

Image result for windows night light

What do you mean how does it affect games?

It literally just changes the colour temperature to reduce blue light like literally any other software or glasses...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

What do you mean how does it affect games?

It literally just changes the colour temperature to reduce blue light like literally any other software or glasses...

Does it apply the filter to games as well, or just the Windows environment?

I've just played around with it on my work laptop and found it doesn't apply to external displays, only the laptop display, which is an issue as I always use at least 1, often 2 external displays as my primary, with the laptop display being rarely used and sometimes the device lid shut entirely. So the software covers some, but not all situations. (Edit: this may be due to using a USB3 dock for external displays and network, rather than a directly attached display using HDMI).

Edit2: Of all the places on this forum I looked at to put this thread, Peripherals never even crossed my mind! Are Glasses considered a peripheral?

11 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

phone solutions without root are horrible. they just apply a crappy poop-color filter on your entire screen.

windows 10's night mode is great, and I use it 24/7

As someone who uses an app on my phone (Twilight) to filter out the blue light I'm wondering what the real world difference is when comparing it to windows 10 in built feature? One you say is 'crappy' and the other 'great' yet as far as I'm concerned they both do the same thing equally as effectively

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

2 hours ago, Rupe said:

As someone who uses an app on my phone (Twilight) to filter out the blue light I'm wondering what the real world difference is when comparing it to windows 10 in built feature? One you say is 'crappy' and the other 'great' yet as far as I'm concerned they both do the same thing equally as effectively

Android has a Night Mode built in which as far as I can tell does exactly the same as Windows Night Light, i.e. applies a poop filter over your screen.

I'm with you, surely everything is just doing exactly the same thing, changing the colour temperature of the screen to reduce blue. How one can be crappy and one great is a little confusing.

Unless hes talking about the implimenttion and management? Windows Night Light can be sceduled and the temperature adjusted, whereas the Adroid one appears to be a manual switch on or off.

9 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Does it apply the filter to games as well, or just the Windows environment?

I've just played around with it on my work laptop and found it doesn't apply to external displays, only the laptop display, which is an issue as I always use at least 1, often 2 external displays as my primary, with the laptop display being rarely used and sometimes the device lid shut entirely. So the software covers some, but not all situations. (Edit: this may be due to using a USB3 dock for external displays and network, rather than a directly attached display using HDMI).

Edit2: Of all the places on this forum I looked at to put this thread, Peripherals never even crossed my mind! Are Glasses considered a peripheral?

It applies to everything working in windows including games.

IDK why it's not working for external displays though, maybe your windows isn't up to date or you haven't clean installed 1703?

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Enderman said:

It applies to everything working in windows including games.

IDK why it's not working for external displays though, maybe your windows isn't up to date or you haven't clean installed 1703?

Pretty sure its because the monitors are connected through a USB3 hub meaning its an emulated display adapter, rather than connected to a proper display output like HDMI, etc.

9 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Pretty sure its because the monitors are connected through a USB3 hub meaning its an emulated display adapter, rather than connected to a proper display output like HDMI, etc.

Oh I see.

Spoiler

So to summarise, nobody has any experience of blue light reducing glasses :P:)