Unboxing Canada's BIGGEST Supercomputer

27 minutes ago, SuicideRabbit said:

If anyone has questions, I'm on the team that runs this system.

I'd be happy to answer.

ill take a shot. im vaguely familiar with island networking topography, is there a resource that explaines that better, at least as far as used with the supercomputer?  

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

Where is SFU?

Its not an unboxing because there is no box.

Thirdly, its not that hard to get your facts straight, 5000 vs 9000 sf

Big Diff

1 hour ago, thehardwarehacker said:

ill take a shot. im vaguely familiar with island networking topography, is there a resource that explaines that better, at least as far as used with the supercomputer?  

Not a resource I can point you to directly, that I'm aware of. If you are familiar with island topology, we chose this design b/c it was the only way we could get our blocking factor as low as possible. Within an island, every node is 1:1. Across the cluster, b/t islands, the blocking factor is 2:1.

1 hour ago, yathis said:

Where is SFU?

Burnaby, British Columbia. About 30 minutes away from downtown Vancouver.

UBC gotta up their supercomputer game...

:(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, SuicideRabbit said:

Burnaby, British Columbia. About 30 minutes away from downtown Vancouver.

Whats it stand for cuz I thought it was San Fransisco University.

9 hours ago, SuicideRabbit said:

If anyone has questions, I'm on the team that runs this system.

I'd be happy to answer.

How do those giant pipes on the ceiling cool? Like do they shoot out cool air cause saw some hose like structures.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

35 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

How do those giant pipes on the ceiling cool? Like do they shoot out cool air cause saw some hose like structures.

They carry the water to/from the rather large evaporative chillers outside of the building, which were not shown in the video.

19 hours ago, spwath said:

hmm, only about 7gb ram per cpu

7GB per core ;) 

Cinebench Score? xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Cinebench Score? xD

what if it runs on 32 bit os and has to run old Cinebench instead

39 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Cinebench Score? xD

I'm also from the SFU crowd...

I really tried to get one of the GPU nodes for Linus to run cinebench. Sadly, the tech staff said they were "using them". And also there's the small wrinkle that they don't run Windows.

21 hours ago, Vespertine said:

Scientific research or not, who actually needs 22,000 Xeon CPUs? I'm confused.

me

i need to crack a zip with a password length of 27+, but theres only 9 digits and 4 letters in the whole password. :(

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

21 hours ago, Vespertine said:

Scientific research or not, who actually needs 22,000 Xeon CPUs? I'm confused.

The facility is available to any Canadian researcher who needs high-performance computing. In general, it wouldn't be used as single monolithic supercomputer: many jobs would be running scattered across the cluster. The job that needs 3TB of RAM on one box can be running there, while the highly-parallel job is running on 1000 cores on the next rack.

Apparently, they expect the facility to be utilized at 100%. If there are any unallocated cycles, the particle physicists will snap them up: some part of the LHC project uses the Compute Canada facilities and they always need more compute power.

@LinusTech @nickmlg nice video,  but there was an inaccuracy. The ideal PUE isn't 1. You can, at least in recent theories, go beyond that and have sub 1 PUE. Ideally you'd want to get back the energy you consume, or even more if you implement nice methods. This is a very important paradigm shift new minds have to be educated about, at least in my opinion, so since you guys have a huge audience, that'd be a nice touch.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎02 at 11:38 AM, nicklmg said:

Thanks to SFU and Compute Canada for allowing us to visit this INCREDIBLE facility. Learn more about Cedar at http://geni.us/5N3l

No thank you for letting me know what they were building after all this time. :) Now I'm really proud of being a Computing Science student at SFU knowing what's behind all the recent Big Data talk.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎03 at 2:26 AM, SuicideRabbit said:

They carry the water to/from the rather large evaporative chillers outside of the building, which were not shown in the video.

You're a student there as well?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

No thank you for letting me know what they were building after all this time. :) Now I'm really proud of being a Computing Science student at SFU knowing what's behind all the recent Big Data talk.

You're a student there as well?

Nope. I'm Lead Sys Admin for the system.

On 7/5/2017 at 0:40 AM, SuicideRabbit said:

Nope. I'm Lead Sys Admin for the system.

What fluid is circulating through the cooling system?

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

What fluid is circulating through the cooling system?

It's a small bit of a cocktail, but the majority is no different than in your car's radiator: glycol and water. :)

1 hour ago, SuicideRabbit said:

It's a small bit of a cocktail, but the majority is no different than in your car's radiator: glycol and water. :)

Is it UV sterilized and particulate filtered or is there some sort of biocide in it?  Is it straight glycol+RO water or did you add a scale inhibitor as well?

I ask for details because I have a 25 gallon loop in my house with a lot of similarities to how datacenters do cooling, and I want to know the "proper" implementation.  

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)