Photobucket now charging $400 for 3rd party hosting

weegaz22

In the last few days if any of you have used Photobucket for image hosting you may have noticed that all your images are no longer being hosted to 3rd party sites

This is because without any warning to their users Photobucket have changed the way they are charging customers, now you have to pay $400 a year for images from your account to be hosted to 3rd party sites, this is Dick Turpin highwayman tactics at best holding users to ransom and creating a massive hole in the internet, hoping that users will pay so they will not have to edit years of links to websites/blogs/forums etc to keep images active, no warning about account changes given till the change a couple of days ago, some users are reporting that their accounts are now saying their images will be deleted but i cannot confirm this myself as my account did not say anything like that, this will be the end of photobucket i believe as there are many other free hosting solutions out there

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

So that would be why CGP Greys patreon looks like this:

Capture.PNG

Yes that would be why, I think I've been on photobucket since 2003-2004, so there is a few years worth of images that were simply there to be hosted on things like forums, i have just downloaded all my pics from photobucket, i will delete my account in the next coming weeks as i feel that they may possibly do a u-turn on this policy with enough of a backlash, similar in the way that netflix lost millions of users overnight a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, weegaz22 said:

Yes that would be why, I think I've been on photobucket since 2003-2004, so there is a few years worth of images that were simply there to be hosted on things like forums, i have just downloaded all my pics from photobucket, i will delete my account in the next coming weeks as i feel that they may possibly do a u-turn on this policy with enough of a backlash, similar in the way that netflix lost millions of users overnight a few years ago.

Let's hope that enough users follow your example, unfortunately I don't use Photobucket myself so I can't really do anything.

53 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Fuck Photobucket.

Couldn't have said it better myself, they have 15 BILLION images on there and 100+ million accounts, that is a fair chunk of the internet that will no longer be accessible on other sites, thing is they could have probably gotten away with a charging a reasonable amount like $20 a year, that would have still brought them in a fair amount of revenue, but $400 a year??!?! for hosting pictures?!?!?....you can go F*ck off.

Photobucket was one of the best image hosts until imageshack came along. Photobucket tried to go all myspace like, while imageshack just let you host your images. They've been garbage since.

Looks like I'll have to save all my images from my old account before they close up. The big losers here is old forum posts with pictures, especially automotive forums which have guides that are 10+ years old with images from photobucket. The guides are now broken, just as the ones that had images from imageshack. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Stopped usimg them and that one with the frog when imgur got decent about 5 years ago i think. 

Thank god i did

The one with the frog = imageshack.

Too bad imgur is going down the drain too. For example you can no longer hotlink images to smartphones. Dropbox became shit too when they changed the public folder.

It's a shame so many things are getting worse.

Even if other alternatives didn't exist, it'd still be trivially easy to self host images for way less than 400 bucks. Guess this is the last we'll be seeing of Photobucket.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The one with the frog = imageshack.

Too bad imgur is going down the drain too. For example you can no longer hotlink images to smartphones. Dropbox became shit too when they changed the public folder.

It's a shame so many things are getting worse.

Yep, imgur is starting to turn that corner a lot like photobucket did back in ~2007. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

People still use photobucket?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Clicks link

It's photobucket

Loading ..

Loading ...

Loading ....

Ok there's some page elements ..

Still no image

Done loading

NO IMAGE

Why does anyone still use photobucket? 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I never had an issue as I use an adblocker, I did have it turned off the other day and thought wtf as I couldn't even see the photobucket page as there were so many ads plastered over the top of each other

13 hours ago, TheKDub said:

People still use photobucket?

Yep, been using it since about 2004, I never really had an issue with it but I've always ran an adblocker and it worked flawlessly all these years, it was only last night that when i had turned off my adblocker that i noticed how bad the site had become, it was like opening one of those adware bombs you get where one ad stacks one on top of the other and it just keep going, i was like WTF! lol

I'll probably look into setting up my own picture hosting server as i have a media server in the house that runs 24/7 anyway, will dedicate part of it to pic hosting, its just a bit of an inconvenient to be forced into doing so.

28 minutes ago, weegaz22 said:

Yep, been using it since about 2004, I never really had an issue with it but I've always ran an adblocker and it worked flawlessly all these years, it was only last night that when i had turned off my adblocker that i noticed how bad the site had become, it was like opening one of those adware bombs you get where one ad stacks one on top of the other and it just keep going, i was like WTF! lol

I'll probably look into setting up my own picture hosting server as i have a media server in the house that runs 24/7 anyway, will dedicate part of it to pic hosting, its just a bit of an inconvenient to be forced into doing so.

Solid way to go, but the insane thing about the Photobucket move is that you can rent a server + bandwidth to cover even high-volume image posting for ~15-25 USD per month. 

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Solid way to go, but the insane thing about the Photobucket move is that you can rent a server + bandwidth to cover even high-volume image posting for ~15-25 USD per month. 

the thing is non of my pics are going to be eating high amounts of bandwidth as its not as if i have a business or run a blog that pulls lots of readers/views, i literally use it to host some stuff for car, Vw camper and motorcycle forums, and the pictures of rebuild stuff i do aren't exactly that impressive so its not as if my stuff is gonna go viral and have millions of views on it.

Never used them, but this most definitely does not help me want to use them now ... :| 

Bad move.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

[removed]

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I think I'll build my own image hosting site + CDN for $45/year...

-KuJoe

On 7/1/2017 at 7:39 PM, huilun02 said:

I guess they finally gonna..

kick the bucket

get. out.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I just got my email about it. If you bother to check the subs link. you find that the $400 is the most expensive option, the cheapest is $60 per year.