Bulk scanner with indexing (searchable PDF)

Good day all.

Hope I place the post where it belongs. 

We are a small business hoping to get rid of paper. We have tons of invoices, receipts, BOLs and other documents. I tried searching online but I just got "standard" looking scanners. 

I wanted help into choosing an scanner that will help us in our goal of going digital; and not losing more invoices (warranties) 

Scanner requirements:

• Scan bulk quantities of documents
  • Produce searchable PDF (indexing)
  • Be able to place on tray different paper sizes (may be)
  • Network capable (maybe wireless)

Efficiency or speed should not be an issue, but something reliable regarding stuck papers. 

Thanks

11 minutes ago, pierfe said:

Good day all.

Hope I place the post where it belongs. 

We are a small business hoping to get rid of paper. We have tons of invoices, receipts, BOLs and other documents. I tried searching online but I just got "standard" looking scanners. 

I wanted help into choosing an scanner that will help us in our goal of going digital; and not losing more invoices (warranties) 

Scanner requirements:

• Scan bulk quantities of documents
  • Produce searchable PDF (indexing)
  • Be able to place on tray different paper sizes (may be)
  • Network capable (maybe wireless)

Efficiency or speed should not be an issue, but something reliable regarding stuck papers. 

Thanks

First of all why are you posting this in the photography section?  This belongs in the peripherals section.

Second what you might want to look at are document scanners like these (link below) or the big all-in-one type of printer-scanner-copier etc. that has a tray feed scanner.  Go ask an office hardware supplier.

Maybe something like this?

http://uk.pcmag.com/panasonic-kv-s2087/72453/review/panasonic-kv-s2087

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just get a good scanner and use software OCR

I do that ALOT its just one button

Buy foxit phantom pdf

It is the best PDF viewer

It has an editor,comments and lots of other stuff like ocr

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

Just get a good scanner and use software OCR

I do that ALOT its just one button

Buy foxit phantom pdf

It is the best PDF viewer

It has an editor,comments and lots of other stuff like ocr

The problem with this, you can't automatically feed the scanner using a tray or feeder slot.  You have to manually place the paper on the scanning surface one at a time.  The OP might have tons of paperwork to scan and it may take a LOOOOONG time with a standard scanner.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

19 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The problem with this, you can't automatically feed the scanner using a tray or feeder slot.  You have to manually place the paper on the scanning surface one at a time.  The OP might have tons of paperwork to scan and it may take a LOOOOONG time with a standard scanner.

No I just use a big printer scan it and then I open the document from the pc and press Ocr

You can do this with every printer on the market

Printer/scanner with ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) are very common

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFCL2740DW-Wireless-Monochrome-Replenishment/dp/B00MRAU8OE/ref=sr_1_6?s=office-electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498925117&sr=1-6&keywords=brother+mfc

It also scans both sides of the paper and (probably the bundled software) does ocr

The software to brother printers is not very good at all.

Don't have experience with other printers.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you all!

I will take a closer look at the Panasonic on the second post.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:01 PM, Ethocreeper said:

No I just use a big printer scan it and then I open the document from the pc and press Ocr

You can do this with every printer on the market

I'm talking about scanning multiple documents without having to lift up the cover, replace the paper, press the scan button on the device or from the computer.  There are scanners with document feeders where you can just load a stack of pages and it will feed pages one by one... automatically.  It saves time when you have hundreds of pages to scan.  Manually loading a page one at a time on a flat bed scanner or an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier might be OK for you if you only have to scan a few pages but wastes a lot of time if you need to scan hundreds.

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

I'm talking about scanning multiple documents without having to lift up the cover, replace the paper, press the scan button on the device or from the computer.  There are scanners with document feeders where you can just load a stack of pages and it will feed pages one by one... automatically.  It saves time when you have hundreds of pages to scan.  Manually loading a page one at a time on a flat bed scanner or an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier might be OK for you if you only have to scan a few pages but wastes a lot of time if you need to scan hundreds.

nonono

you can use a whatever printer you want to do this. and mine also has a document feeder

and when you open the document from your pc you just press a button and boom ocrd

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

nonono

you can use a whatever printer you want to do this. and mine also has a document feeder

and when you open the document from your pc you just press a button and boom ocrd

Not every All-In-One printer/scanners have a scan function in the document feeder.

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Not every All-In-One printer/scanners have a scan function in the document feeder.

1. get a scanner or printer whatever that has a document feeder (for example with mine you have to flip the pages to do with both sides but the printer my mom has in he office can do it automatically)
  2. when you open the document with foxit phantom pdf just press the quick ocr button (default is English but you can change it. also you can ocr with more than one language)
  3. DONE

6 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:
  1. get a scanner or printer whatever that has a document feeder (for example with mine you have to flip the pages to do with both sides but the printer my mom has in he office can do it automatically)
  2. when you open the document with foxit phantom pdf just press the quick ocr button (default is English but you can change it. also you can ocr with more than one language)
  3. DONE

Did you even read my first post, I told the OP to find a scanner with a document feeder.  Your first post on the other hand, just told the OP to get a good scanner.  A good scanner can be anything from a flatbed to a big office multifunction device.

And it has to be a scanner, either a dedicated one or part of a multifunction device, with a document feeder for the scanner.  You can't scan with a printer.

On 7/2/2017 at 11:23 AM, Mihle said:

The software to brother printers is not very good at all.

Don't have experience with other printers.

I don't have any problems with it.