Old People are the WORST - Technology Then vs. Now Ep3

Thanks to Honor for sponsoring this video! Check out the Honor 6X at http://bit.ly/2tsqj52

Why is it SO HARD for old people to understand how incredible the technology of today is? We take a look at 8 of the WORST tech offenses of the older generation.

Neat

-CPU- 

AMD R7 1800x

-GPU- 

XFX Radeon R9 290x

-STORAGE- 

ADATA Premier SP550 480GB

Toshiba 3TB

-RAM- 

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x8)

-PSU- 

Evga 850w G2+

-MOBO- 

ASUS Prime X370-Pro

-CASE-

Corsair Obsidian 750D

-PERIPHERALS-

2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Logitech G302

-PART PICKER URL-

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vrqdQV

Old people...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I realize this video is very much tongue in cheek :D but here is my counter point (in order)

1. Prank calls, they still work. If only for the 1 sec pause you get from someone who is pretty much sure they dialed the correct person and start to doubt themselves.
  2. Know your surroundings, the amount of times i saw ppl get into trouble by blindly following their map app is alot. Use the map app as a guide. Not the end all of travel ;)
  3. Yeah, pretty much agree
  4. See point 2. But taking a picture is a handy thing yes.
  5. Also agree, took my mother in law 2 years to finally get data :D 
  6. Yep
  7. No, just no. Only the very high end phones have decent camera's. A small digital camera will be faster and better in anything else then perfect lightning that most phones need somehow. (not including cheap ass digital camera's)
  8. Never saw anyone call with the USB cable attached. Well... i mean older ppl. Younger ones yes. when they drained it playing pokemon and still need to gossip :D

ps. I am an old person :P 

2 hours ago, Dujith said:

I realize this video is very much tongue in cheek :D but here is my counter point (in order)

1. Prank calls, they still work. If only for the 1 sec pause you get from someone who is pretty much sure they dialed the correct person and start to doubt themselves.
  2. Know your surroundings, the amount of times i saw ppl get into trouble by blindly following their map app is alot. Use the map app as a guide. Not the end all of travel ;)
  3. Yeah, pretty much agree
  4. See point 2. But taking a picture is a handy thing yes.
  5. Also agree, took my mother in law 2 years to finally get data :D 
  6. Yep
  7. No, just no. Only the very high end phones have decent camera's. A small digital camera will be faster and better in anything else then perfect lightning that most phones need somehow. (not including cheap ass digital camera's)
  8. Never saw anyone call with the USB cable attached. Well... i mean older ppl. Younger ones yes. when they drained it playing pokemon and still need to gossip :D

ps. I am an old person :P 

to add to that, while the "megapixel" count may be higher on the cell phone cameras some of the point and shoots actually have OPTICAL ZOOM something missing from like ALL cell phones, plus they have a larger aperture size resulting in better low light performance which if managed properly can result in better image fidelity, ultimately you want a DSLR camera for real picture taking tho.

Also MAPS are rarely the best way to do things, you are usually better off to listen to the directions,for a LONG time Google Maps (and some others nav units) would actually route people THROUGH MY DRIVEWAY (at my old house) to get into a gated community where my house was part of the community but also could be accessed via a public road outside the extents of the community, we where getting bitched out by the community for people TRESPASSING on our property to use the driveway. You can still manually adjust Google Maps to route through the driveway and it just says that the "road" (really my old driveway) is a "restricted access or private road" (this is more then a year after I reported to google that is a private drive, it should be REMOVED from the map, not just labeled restricted access).

I also got a wrong number call just the other day, so that still happens.

Nick - Why not a quick blurb on what Honor actually does?

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

to add to that, while the "megapixel" count may be higher on the cell phone cameras some of the point and shoots actually have OPTICAL ZOOM something missing from like ALL cell phones, plus they have a larger aperture size resulting in better low light performance which if managed properly can result in better image fidelity, ultimately you want a DSLR camera for real picture taking tho.

For most people their phone, assuming it's mid to high end, will be more than adequate. For family outings and that sort of thing, sharing or uploading the photos is one of the biggest priorities and that's far easier and convenient with a phone. Less things to carry too and saves lugging a DSLR around your neck.

Agreed on the directions point though. If you live in a rural area with lots of roads, like here in the UK, then some of the satnav apps will send you round in circles.

It's handy to know some landmarks around the area too, if not to give you a sense of direction.

I remember my mother calling me at 11 pm just asking me how to turn off her non-touchscreen PC using Windows 8's system "charms'. It kinda went like this:

Me: Hold your mouse and hover it at the topmost right and slowly drag it down. You'll see a bunch of stuff but click on the one that says "Settings". Then click Power and click Shutdown.

Mom: Huh? 

It's a good thing with the 8.1 update, the power button is at the Start screen beside the user name. 

---------------------------

Also, is this Luke's phone number? (+1)555-669-6969? 

5955a0170f29f_Screenshot(183).png.d92bb7e1e21f6af77938cb5bcfe385c7.png

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Nice cross dressing lol :P

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I remember my mother calling me at 11 pm just asking me how to turn off her non-touchscreen PC using Windows 8's system "charms'. It kinda went like this:

Me: Hold your mouse and hover it at the topmost right and slowly drag it down. You'll see a bunch of stuff but click on the one that says "Settings". Then click Power and click Shutdown.

Mom: Huh? 

It's a good thing with the 8.1 update, the power button is at the Start screen beside the user name. 

to be fair that Windows 8 shutdown process through me for a loop the first time I saw it.It was just that fucking stupid.

4 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

If it was, that would be a pretty legit number :P 

Oops. I guess no wireless carrier would give someone a phone number full of 69s. xD

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

DATA PLANS!!! They are like 10$ a month, less on ting.......

Epic

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

On 6/29/2017 at 1:12 PM, Dujith said:

4. Also agree, took my mother in law 2 years to finally get data :D 

4. In Europe, and even the USA, this point holds mostly true. However, in Canada, Data rates are highway robbery, and while I certainly understand LTT's sponsorship with Ting, I can't help but become slightly triggered that they don't touch on this fact since LTT themselves are Canadian. That being said, older people would probably use so little data that they could actually get away with the 100MB - 200MB data plans for $10-$15 extra in Canada, so maybe it's a moot point.

7. 100% agree with you. I have yet to experience a phone that does not have some form of shutter lag for the same price as a decent ~$250 CAD point and shoot. Even mid range phones around $600-$700 have shutter lag, so unless an older person is going to rush out and buy a $1000 CAD iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S# they'll probably be better off with a decent point and shoot. (Not to mention, phones still don't have comparable optical zoom to even cheap $100 cameras, and most have no manual controls to speak of.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I find it funny Linus could be bothered to go to Canadian Tire and atleast buy a coiled phone line and for extra points a rotary dial tele off ebay.

He goes the extra mile with drag clothing and wig.

• 1 year later...

First, all in one never good, my analogy cell phone never drops a call always as 4 bars, no bells no whistles its a phone, and last roughly a week to ten days on a charge, my big three smartphone last 2 hours on the desk, always drops calls, never once seen 4 bars and talking 100 plus a month for" call me on my other phone and hope that they got message before call dropped, my single reflex camera takes a picture a thousand times better than the smartphone, plus I can modify the picture to my liking in the darkroom not just click on a filter in some photo editing software I know my *72 before I dial for crank calls that blocks caller id, and I've had my 30 year daughter call me to ask how to raise the volume turn off her new laptop and forgot her all in one device , broken down I forgot my phone number which I had for 30 plus years luckily my granddaughter had her non working last months model mom's old cell with contacts in it still working.  so in conclusion you young whipper snappers stop calling it a phone, evolve  rebrand it something like glued to my palm, or palmpad or palmtop, it's no longer a phone, phones like Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past

just some cranky old persons view