Confused 1080p or 1440p

rookie.wanna.play

Im so confused of what monitor should i buy, I mean im 13 im from Canada I watch a lot of youtube videos about building a gaming pc, but there's nothing that says how does it feel like to play at 1080p nor 1440p. And what is hz? how much do i need exactly? im just starting i need help, i will be having a ryzen 5 1600, gtx 1070 and i want my gaming experience to be simple but future proof and my budget is a bit tight any suggestions? i may want a 20-24 inch. and im not mainly canadian so im not good at english, other than that Have a good day . 

1 minute ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

And what is hz? how much do i need exactly?

Hz or Hertz is a unit that means "times per second" and can be used for lots of things. Applied to monitors, it represents the number of times the monitor redraws the image on the screen per second. And in turn, that's effectively the maximum number of frames per second the monitor can display before extras are dropped.

11 hours ago, Tarzan said:

If budget tight, go FHD 1080p, 24 inches.

thanks brotha, Have a good day!

6 minutes ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

Im so confused of what monitor should i buy, I mean im 13 im from Canada I watch a lot of youtube videos about building a gaming pc, but there's nothing that says how does it feel like to play at 1080p nor 1440p. And what is hz? how much do i need exactly? im just starting i need help, i will be having a ryzen 5 1600, gtx 1070 and i want my gaming experience to be simple but future proof and my budget is a bit tight any suggestions? i may want a 20-24 inch. and im not mainly canadian so im not good at english, other than that Have a good day . 

Your english is fine man, I get what you need. Your rig will absolutely slay anything in either 1080p or 1440p. If you have the budget, 1440p is good because it simply looks better. However, if you don't have the cash, then go with 1080p. Your games will still look fine. Additionally, if you'll be doing any kind of competitive gaming (Overwatch, CS:GO) then you may benefit from buying a 1080p high refresh rate (100 Hz or higher) G-sync monitor instead of a 1440p non-G-sync for the same price. 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

11 hours ago, typographie said:

Hz or Hertz is a unit that means "times per second" and can be used for lots of things. Applied to monitors, it represents the number of times the monitor redraws the image on the screen per second. And in turn, that's effectively the maximum number of frames per second the monitor can display before extras are dropped.

thanks for your answer. but how much hz do i really need ? for 1080p and for 1440p?

11 hours ago, TraskJ said:

Your english is fine man, I get what you need. Your rig will absolutely slay anything in either 1080p or 1440p. If you have the budget, 1440p is good because it simply looks better. However, if you don't have the cash, then go with 1080p. Your games will still look fine. Additionally, if you'll be doing any kind of competitive gaming (Overwatch, CS:GO) then you may benefit from buying a 1080p high refresh rate (100 Hz or higher) G-sync monitor instead of a 1440p non-G-sync for the same price. 

ohh so higher hz is better, well then thanks for that. I think im just gonna ask my grandma to buy me a 1440p monitor coz all of this these things that i'll be buying? ima have to work for it . cheers brotha! have a good day!

Higher the resolution and higher the Hz, the more expensive the monitor gets.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Higher the resolution and higher the Hz, the more expensive the monitor gets.

the better it gets right? alright then, thank you for your answer. have a good day! 

5 minutes ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

In my opinion, gaming at 1080p 120fps+ is a better overall experience than 1440p at ~60fps.  Its purely subjective.  Your system can handle both pretty well, so its just a matter of you finding what you like best at a good price.  

11 hours ago, Ctown0812 said:

In my opinion, gaming at 1080p 120fps+ is a better overall experience than 1440p at ~60fps.  Its purely subjective.  Your system can handle both pretty well, so its just a matter of you finding what you like best at a good price.  

oh geez thanks man! i think im just gonna stick here at the forum, than watch youtube videos that keep saying " you should have this and that this and that " other than that have a good day! 

10 minutes ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

thanks for your answer. but how much hz do i really need ? for 1080p and for 1440p?

A 60 Hz monitor effectively limits you to 60 FPS gaming, and your hardware is capable of more than that. So I think you should consider a 1080p monitor at 120 Hz or 144 Hz at the very least.

Honestly I think your PC is powerful enough that even if you want to spend a lot of money on a 1440p 144 Hz monitor with Gsync, you're still going to get something out of it. So basically figure out how much you want to spend, and buy the best you can with that.

the better it gets right? alright then, thank you for your answer. have a good day! 

That depends on your seating position. Larger screen when up close requires more head movement compare to a smaller screen which requires less head movement cause you can see the entire screen instead of just the center of it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

11 hours ago, typographie said:

A 60 Hz monitor effectively limits you to 60 FPS gaming, and your hardware is capable of more than that. So I think you should consider a 1080p monitor at 120 Hz or 144 Hz at the very least.

Honestly I think your PC is powerful enough that even if you want to spend the money on a 1440p 144 Hz monitor with Gsync, you're still going to get something out of it. So basically figure out how much you want to spend, and buy the best you can with that.

well then think i'll go with 1080p with 144hz . thanks for the  help. i wish i know a lot about desktops so i can help others that struggle other than that, cheers ! mate 

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

That depends on your seating position. Larger screen when up close requires more head movement compare to a smaller screen which requires less head movement cause you can see the entire screen instead of just the center of it.

makes sense, cheers man! 

I have a 27" 1440p monitor. for purely gaming it's very taxing (not a problem with your 1070) but for productivity/ desktop usage it's AMAZING. If you do go 1080p then either get 144hz or step down to a 1060/580 to save money. at 1080p60FPS a 1070 is a waste

That's an F in the profile pic

11 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I have a 27" 1440p monitor. for purely gaming it's very taxing (not a problem with your 1070) but for productivity/ desktop usage it's AMAZING. If you do go 1080p then either get 144hz or step down to a 1060/580 to save money. at 1080p60FPS a 1070 is a waste

yea i have heard that a lot, but having a 1070 is a future proof for like 3 years right? or i had the wrong information?

yea i have heard that a lot, but having a 1070 is a future proof for like 3 years right? or i had the wrong information?

Well... yeah. However getting an el cheapo monitor so you can get a better GPU is a waste. The monitor will last much longer than the GPU before it needs upgrading. 1060 is already very powerful for 1080p60, with 1070 only being really worth it at 1080p144. A GPU will last as long as you're happy with the performance. I would suggest not taking everyone on the internet's word for it. Try the products for yourself, see if 144hz is actually something you'd want to spend money on, since it is pretty expensive

Well... yeah. However getting an el cheapo monitor so you can get a better GPU is a waste. The monitor will last much longer than the GPU before it needs upgrading. 1060 is already very powerful for 1080p60, with 1070 only being really worth it at 1080p144. A GPU will last as long as you're happy with the performance. I would suggest not taking everyone on the internet's word for it. Try the products for yourself, see if 144hz is actually something you'd want to spend money on, since it is pretty expensive

well you're right besides im 13 right? haha who am i kidding. hey bro? so yea you said 1060? then 1060 it is. so how much hz do i need to buy for 1080p? at 1060 gpu

Just now, rookie.wanna.play said:

well you're right besides im 13 right? haha who am i kidding. hey bro? so yea you said 1060? then 1060 it is. so how much hz do i need to buy for 1080p? at 1060 gpu

Giving a budget would of course be helpful so we can help you better. Remember that I'm just giving my opinion, I'm not forcing you to do anything :P. I'm using a 1060 for 1440p 144hz and I'm pretty happy. For 1080p60 a 1060 is perfect, ultra setting at locked 60FPS in most games for a few years. A 1070 is good for 1080p144, 1440p60 and 1440p144

Giving a budget would of course be helpful so we can help you better. Remember that I'm just giving my opinion, I'm not forcing you to do anything :P. I'm using a 1060 for 1440p 144hz and I'm pretty happy. For 1080p60 a 1060 is perfect, ultra setting at locked 60FPS in most games for a few years. A 1070 is good for 1080p144, 1440p60 and 1440p144

yes, i know you're not forcing me but u got a point why would i buy a 1070 for 1080p. im happy with your suggestion and its great cause im just gonna play first person shooter games and a few triple a titles . but hey thanks brotha have a good day.

yes, i know you're not forcing me but u got a point why would i buy a 1070 for 1080p. im happy with your suggestion and its great cause im just gonna play first person shooter games and a few triple a titles . but hey thanks brotha have a good day.

Cool, I'm happy to help with other questions

Cool, I'm happy to help with other questions

well thanks for giving us your time coz we, the rookies could really use your experties . have a good day! sir 

2 minutes ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

well thanks for giving us your time coz we, the rookies could really use your experties . have a good day! sir 

Oh also remember that 1080p at 27" is too low resolution for most people