Help me choose a new gpu

Leonius

I want to replace my gpu... my GTX 680 is starting tho show its age...

I dont know weather to get the 1080 or 1080ti yet. Are the extra 200$ worth it? 

My current cpu is a 4690k at 4.1 Ghz so there should be no bottlenecks.

Also what addin board partner do you guys suggest? my current card is a msi lightning, never had a problem with it...

I would definitely recommend waiting until mining goes down as gpus are super inflated right now. Vega is also right around the corner so you may want to wait for it too.

2 minutes ago, Leonius said:

My current cpu is a 4690k at 4.1 Ghz so there should be no bottlenecks.

at 1080p? it will.

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Just now, McHox said:

at 1080p? it will.

depends on the game and I am using 1440p, shoulda mentioned that.

1 minute ago, samocamo123 said:

I would definitely recommend waiting until mining goes down as gpus are super inflated right now. Vega is also right around the corner so you may want to wait for it too.

vega is a good point actually i forgot about that... However here in germany most nvidia cards availability is quite good and the price should not be affected on the green side of the team, by mining.

Just now, Leonius said:

vega is a good point actually i forgot about that... However here in germany most nvidia cards availability is quite good and the price should not be affected on the green side of the team, by mining.

i would wait for vega to release and maybe push the prices down and then get a 1080ti
can really recommend the strix,cooling is excellent 

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Just now, Leonius said:

get 1080ti, if you can get the inno3d ichill x3 that should be a highly factory oc card that in my case only cost ca 30eur more than the reference
you can save some money getting the 1080, but #pcmasterrace amirite? :P

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Vega could be worth wait for, but for just 60hz 1440p, a 1080 would be great (The pirce isnt affect by mining either). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, Changis said:

get 1080ti, if you can get the inno3d ichill x3 that should be a highly factory oc card that in my case only cost ca 30eur more than the reference
you can save some money getting the 1080, but #pcmasterrace amirite? :P

i know the temptation is so high to get the best one haha.

1 minute ago, McHox said:

i would wait for vega to release and maybe push the prices down and then get a 1080ti
can really recommend the strix,cooling is excellent 

i was considering the asus as well especially since it is quite colour neutral, so i can make it work with my yellow msi parts... oh and the card looks really well made.

4 minutes ago, Leonius said:

i know the temptation is so high to get the best one haha.

i was considering the asus as well especially since it is quite colour neutral, so i can make it work with my yellow msi parts... oh and the card looks really well made.

yeah the build quality is great

3 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Vega could be worth wait for, but for just 60hz 1440p, a 1080 would be great (The pirce isnt affect by mining either). 

Yah my monitor is ips and wont do more than 60hz, but i want to crank up the quality in AAA titles. I am not up to date on the vega release date, when is it due?

think of it like a car.. you have the choice between a top of the line Mercedes, and the second best.. just think, every time you see or hear about the top of the line one, you will be envious and kinda regret it.. or maybe that's just me xD

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

Just now, Leonius said:

Yah my monitor is ips and wont do more than 60hz, but i want to crank up the quality in AAA titles. I am not up to date on the vega release date, when is it due?

AMD has said they will launch it in August (or rather at SIGGRAPH, july 30), up to you if you can wait that long. Otherwise a 1080 will be fine, will easily max out/ultra games at 1440p. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

3 minutes ago, Changis said:

think of it like a car.. you have the choice between a top of the line Mercedes, and the second best.. just think, every time you see or hear about the top of the line one, you will be envious and kinda regret it.. or maybe that's just me xD

and it will keep up with the ever increasing performance demand in games longer

Just now, McHox said:

and it will keep up with the ever increasing performance demand in games longer

agreed, it is up to 30-40% faster in real life usage depending on games over the 1080.. 
a little premium to pay now, but you most likely have atleast some months worth before it gets replaced by GTX1180:P 

i usually buy top tier computer parts and then don't have to upgrade for the next 5 years or more :P

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Changis said:

only that the top is not the mercedes haha :D i think of it more like a BMW

3 minutes ago, Leonius said:

only that the top is not the mercedes haha :D i think of it more like a BMW

it was a 50/50 gamble on german cars :P i KNEW i should have gone with the beamer :P, so would you buy a 550i or a M5 for performance? ;)

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Changis said:

agreed, it is up to 30-40% faster in real life usage depending on games over the 1080.. 
a little premium to pay now, but you most likely have atleast some months worth before it gets replaced by GTX1180:P 

i usually buy top tier computer parts and then don't have to upgrade for the next 5 years or more :P

i lived with my 680 for quite some time now and it works really well... buy the top gpu and it lasts for a couple of years, sure you have to crank down the details at some point but i can comfortably still play AAA games at good settings. 

Also i am not sure weather to wait for vega or not... the performance difference is not going to be drastic. Only reason would be a price drop in the competition so yah im torn here... also i want the gpu horsepower and i want it NOW!!! :D

3 minutes ago, Leonius said:

i lived with my 680 for quite some time now and it works really well... buy the top gpu and it lasts for a couple of years, sure you have to crank down the details at some point but i can comfortably still play AAA games at good settings. 

Also i am not sure weather to wait for vega or not... the performance difference is not going to be drastic. Only reason would be a price drop in the competition so yah im torn here... also i want the gpu horsepower and i want it NOW!!! :D

Gaming on a 1080

giphy.gif

Gaming on a 1080 Ti

giphy.gif

Short answer:
 fc3646a02beca4bbf6c05e711f81c0eb354d2531

Simple ;)

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler