Looking for a new 1440p 120Hz+ monitor

XDroidie626

Hello All,

So to compliment my new rig I am looking at getting a new monitor, I have a 1080p monitor and it doesn't do my GTX1080 justice.

So I decided to spend a bit of money on a new monitor, something that is 1440p and around 120Hz, ideally with G-Sync enabled as my GPU is putting out like 120+ FPS in COD Infinite Warfare and other titles at ultra.

I am currently looking at the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR but the Acer Predator XB271HU is also rather tempting.

I do not really want to exceed the price of the Asus monitor, this is already a lot of money to be spending on a monitor but since its something I look at a lot and I plan for it to last me a long time I think its worth it.

What would you suggest, really its a case of I/O and what display technology do I want, personally I am not too bothered about the ports and the technology but would like a second opinion for people more in the know about displays and who may actually own one of the two.

Many Thanks

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

You might want to consider the Dell S2716DG instead. It's cheaper and yes it's TN, but I've heard a lot of the IPS 1440p g sync monitors have quality control issues (backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc.) but I haven't heard the same for the Dell. Asus CS also isn't that great, I know that for sure. There was a guy on the forum who had a dead pixel in the middle of his 1080p 240 hz Asus monitor, and they refused to rma it because there had to be "5 dead pixels to he rmaed," even though the dead pixel was literally in the center of the monitor which made it horrible to use.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Acer XG270HU

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

47 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You might want to consider the Dell S2716DG instead. It's cheaper and yes it's TN, but I've heard a lot of the IPS 1440p g sync monitors have quality control issues (backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc.) but I haven't heard the same for the Dell. Asus CS also isn't that great, I know that for sure. There was a guy on the forum who had a dead pixel in the middle of his 1080p 240 hz Asus monitor, and they refused to rma it because there had to be "5 dead pixels to he rmaed," even though the dead pixel was literally in the center of the monitor which made it horrible to use.

That dell is a nice bit of kit, but during looking I found a 24" monitor with the same specs, given my desk I think 24" maybe better, also its £499 instead of like £600 which is always nice.

Thats rather crappy customer support is that, I generally avoid Asus due to having a lot of motherboard issues with them.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

38 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

That dell is a nice bit of kit, but during looking I found a 24" monitor with the same specs, given my desk I think 24" maybe better, also its £499 instead of like £600 which is always nice.

Thats rather crappy customer support is that, I generally avoid Asus due to having a lot of motherboard issues with them.

Yeah they also have that 24" one you can consider, that I usually like to recommend because for a 1440p 165 hz g sync monitor it's usually quite inexpensive. I initially mentioned the 27" because you were mentioning 27" ones so I assumed you weren't interested in 24" :P 

I've heard out of the box the colors of the Dell monitors aren't the best but if you tinker with them a bit you can usually make them better. If 24" is fine for you and whatnot I think that would be a good option for you while also saving a bit of money.

Theres also this guy you could take a look at. It's a bit cheaper than the Dell, but I'm not really familiar with it at all so I don't know much about stuff like quality control and colors for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LLGLG7W/?tag=pcp0f-21

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

32 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah they also have that 24" one you can consider, that I usually like to recommend because for a 1440p 165 hz g sync monitor it's usually quite inexpensive. I initially mentioned the 27" because you were mentioning 27" ones so I assumed you weren't interested in 24" :P 

I've heard out of the box the colors of the Dell monitors aren't the best but if you tinker with them a bit you can usually make them better. If 24" is fine for you and whatnot I think that would be a good option for you while also saving a bit of money.

Theres also this guy you could take a look at. It's a bit cheaper than the Dell, but I'm not really familiar with it at all so I don't know much about stuff like quality control and colors for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LLGLG7W/?tag=pcp0f-21

Yeah I was looking mostly at 27" originally because thats what the ROG line was, but basically its that ROG monitor in a smaller form factor.

That AOC monitor does look interesting but the advantage I have with the Dell is I know their quality, AOC while good at times generally lack the quality overall I have seen with Dell monitors, but I shall definitely look into it.

The Acer xb271hu definitely. It has an IPS panel so better colors. It doesn't have as good build quality as the Asus but I would take the IPS over having a more sturdy stand any day.

The Dell s2716dg is a great monitor. It has the best tn panel I've seen but it is still quite obvious it's a tn and isn't as good as the LG IPS I have sitting next to it. Overall it's a solid monitor and you can't go wrong with it. However, because of the benefits of an IPS, I would still recommend the Acer xb271hu.

As mentioned above, quality control is an issue with this panel. The Asus pg279q which has the same panel as the Acer xb271hu. I have seen about 10-15 complaints about defective panels which is very worrying. About 70-80% of the ones I've seen were the Asus so Acer seems to have somewhat better quality control on this monitor but still be wary of that issue.

You also mentioned that 24" might be the best size for your desk. If you really can't fit a 27" no matter how you arrange your setup then you have no option but if you can, then I recommend that you get the 27". It provides much better immersion and let's 1440p shine with good PPI and plenty of screen area.

13 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

Yeah I was looking mostly at 27" originally because thats what the ROG line was, but basically its that ROG monitor in a smaller form factor.

That AOC monitor does look interesting but the advantage I have with the Dell is I know their quality, AOC while good at times generally lack the quality overall I have seen with Dell monitors, but I shall definitely look into it.

In my opinion i am not too satisfied with 24" because sometimes they actually make it 23.8" so i am straight to LG 27MP59G

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 hour ago, SCGazelle said:

The Acer xb271hu definitely. It has an IPS panel so better colors. It doesn't have as good build quality as the Asus but I would take the IPS over having a more sturdy stand any day.

The Dell s2716dg is a great monitor. It has the best tn panel I've seen but it is still quite obvious it's a tn and isn't as good as the LG IPS I have sitting next to it. Overall it's a solid monitor and you can't go wrong with it. However, because of the benefits of an IPS, I would still recommend the Acer xb271hu.

As mentioned above, quality control is an issue with this panel. The Asus pg279q which has the same panel as the Acer xb271hu. I have seen about 10-15 complaints about defective panels which is very worrying. About 70-80% of the ones I've seen were the Asus so Acer seems to have somewhat better quality control on this monitor but still be wary of that issue.

You also mentioned that 24" might be the best size for your desk. If you really can't fit a 27" no matter how you arrange your setup then you have no option but if you can, then I recommend that you get the 27". It provides much better immersion and let's 1440p shine with good PPI and plenty of screen area.

I can fit 27" on my desk, its just we have the family 21.5" iMac here also, but with a slight bit of movement I could easily fit it on the desk, I was thinking more of the distance I sit.

Another thing is price, is the acer worth more money for IPS and a different chassis

9 hours ago, XDroidie626 said:

Asus customer support is.... Terrible.