Questions about 60GHz frequency band for WiFi.

Carlos1010
Go to solution Solved by Spork829,
1 minute ago, Carlos1010 said:

Hi all,

Here are some questions I have about Linus' newly posted video about the 60GHZ band. (sorry if they sound a little nooby);

1.When you want to extend the signal to a wireless access point, will the access point itself run on 60GHz and the same internet speed or will something change?

2.Will the speed of your internet signal be bottle necked if your wireless internet card that you have on your PC can only handle a certain speed that is lower than the speed your router is giving?

3.When you receive your internet through a Ethernet cable, you don't have to worry about what generation your router is right? (ex. 802.11ac/ad/g/d)

Thanks in advanced

1. If you're extending it through a cable and the AP is capable of a 60GHz frequency, I would think it would (some configuration might be necessary)

2. Yes, the router/AP and the PC need to support wireless AD

3. Yeah, though a really old router may be limited to 100Mbps or worse

Hi all,

Here are some questions I have about Linus' newly posted video about the 60GHZ band. (sorry if they sound a little nooby);

1.When you want to extend the signal to a wireless access point, will the access point itself run on 60GHz and the same internet speed or will something change?

2.Will the speed of your internet signal be bottle necked if your wireless internet card that you have on your PC can only handle a certain speed that is lower than the speed your router is giving?

3.When you receive your internet through a Ethernet cable, you don't have to worry about what generation your router is right? (ex. 802.11ac/ad/g/d)

Thanks in advanced

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

1 minute ago, Carlos1010 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advanced

1. If you're extending it through a cable and the AP is capable of a 60GHz frequency, I would think it would (some configuration might be necessary)

2. Yes, the router/AP and the PC need to support wireless AD

3. Yeah, though a really old router may be limited to 100Mbps or worse

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

So after dealing with some of these issues first hand here's what I can tell you:

1. If you extend the signal using a range extender, it does use the same frequency, the only issue is the speed gets cut in half, I'm not sure why this occurs however.

2. The speed of your internet will be bottlenecked based on the speed of your adapater. a 10/100/1000 Ethernet card can handle speeds of up to 1000Mbps. a 10/100 Ethernet card can only handle speeds of up to 100Mbps. You'd have to identify which bottleneck is occurring and where it's coming from. The same applies for WAP's. AC can only support AC, B/G/N can only be seen by devices that support B/G/N. Same deal with AD. You would need an AD device to see an AD connection.

3. Because it's a wired connection, wireless spectrum doesn't matter here, what matters is the speed your Ethernet adapter supports as I explained in the previous question.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Well first of all, 60GHz is stupid and nobody should use it.

Second, no your router/modem wireless type does not matter if you're using a cable, but the port speed (10 or 100 or 1000) does.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

21 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well first of all, 60GHz is stupid and nobody should use it.

Care to elaborate? The object interference, even with the "bouncing" technology is a huge downside, but I can still see plenty of applications for it

14 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Care to elaborate? The object interference, even with the "bouncing" technology is a huge downside, but I can still see plenty of applications for it

It's useful only in such small spaces that it would literally be just as easy to plug in an ethernet cable.

Not only that, but an ethernet cable will be far more reliable without chances of packet loss or interference.

AND it will still be faster and have lower latency.

60GHz is a gimmick and just pumping up numbers for marketing when it is literally worse in every way except speed from any other wireless technology.

Complete waste of money for like 25% more speed than current wireless with a bunch more down sides.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

It's useful only in such small spaces that it would literally be just as easy to plug in an ethernet cable.

Not only that, but an ethernet cable will be far more reliable without chances of packet loss or interference.

AND it will still be faster and have lower latency.

60GHz is a gimmick and just pumping up numbers for marketing when it is literally worse in every way except speed from any other wireless technology.

Complete waste of money.

I didn't realize that it actually had limited range, I thought the object interference was the only downside. In that case yeah, it does seem pretty useless.

Just now, Spork829 said:

I didn't realize that it actually had limited range, I thought the object interference was the only downside. In that case yeah, it does seem pretty useless.

Yeah, basically it's useful for one room, and that's all. As if a 10 ft ethernet cable was too much to handle, considering you need to run a cable to the router in the first place.

Even if you get the special wall bouncing router you need a clear line of sight from your device to a wall or the router, which would be pretty much impossible with a desktop PCIe card at the back unless it had external antennas.

With something like a phone, you would have your wifi drop out if you held it with your hand covering the antenna.

It's stupid, I don't know who though that making a higher frequency band was a good idea just for 25% faster speed and all these problems.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah, basically it's useful for one room, and that's all. As if a 10 ft ethernet cable was too much to handle, considering you need to run a cable to the router in the first place.

Even if you get the special wall bouncing router you need a clear line of sight from your device to a wall or the router, which would be pretty much impossible with a desktop PCIe card at the back unless it had external antennas.

With something like a phone, you would have your wifi drop out if you held it with your hand covering the antenna.

It's stupid, I don't know who though that making a higher frequency band was a good idea just for 25% faster speed and all these problems.

Yeah I guess the only way I could see it ever being useful is a scenario where you can't use ethernet in a single room, maybe some sort of area with lots of people using their phones, and you could put the AP on the ceiling? 

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Yeah I guess the only way I could see it ever being useful is a scenario where you can't use ethernet in a single room, maybe some sort of area with lots of people using their phones, and you could put the AP on the ceiling? 

All the people would absorb the signal, reducing the wall bouncing capabilities.

And again, if you hold the phone the wrong way you lose signal.

Hopefully manufacturers don't waste time putting this in their phones.

Spoiler

The only application for 60Ghz that I can think of would be in some type of server room where it would be much easier to stick a router on the ceiling or in the center and then connect all of the servers or workstations wirelessly. 

8 hours ago, Carlos1010 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advanced

Honestly dont worry about 60 Ghz. Its not going to catch on. The only application I can see is site to site wireless where you need to get a connection to a building where you can run wireless. From what I read, 60 Ghz range outdoors is not too bad. But inside this band makes no sense. Your better to wait for 802.11AX which will be an upgrade of AC wireless. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.