Moisture has been detected in your charger/USB port galaxy s8

Clown

So today I went to the beach with my friends. We were moving to a different part of the beach and when one of them stood up, she knocked a bunch of sand on my brand new galaxy s8. Knowing my phone is water proof I wasn't too worried because I knew I could just wash it off in the ocean. I went and dunked my phone in the water and poof, it was clean. Everything was working fine so I put it back in my bag and than we moved to a different spot. Maybe two hours later when I looked at my phone, it gave me the error I wrote in the title. I'm pretty sure it's not water damage but salt that has damaged the phone because I've dunked the phone in fresh water before. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

EDIT:

I'm also not able to charge my phone

Maybe try and dry out or clean the port?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Maybe try and dry out or clean the port?

How do you think I should do that?

Just now, Clown said:

How do you think I should do that?

IDK much about what's safe and what's not, but maybe rubbing alcohol and something like a Q-tip?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I would suggest flushing it out with freshwater, salt water is much more conductive than freshwater. After that, and a thorough drying see if the message still occurs, if it does it may have water damage because of the salt.

2 minutes ago, Tea1337 said:

I would suggest flushing it out with freshwater, salt water is much more conductive than freshwater. After that, and a thorough drying see if the message still occurs, if it does it may have water damage because of the salt.

i would suggest OP use distilled water, the phone most likely is permanently damaged. 

I just rinsed my phone off and put it in rice. Hopefully tomorrow morning the error will go away. If not, I'll go the T-Mobile Store and see what I can do. Thanks for the help everyone. 

Thank you everyone for your help. I took Tea1337's idea to flush the phone out and than thoroughly dry it. I put my phone in the sink for a few minutes and than put it in some rice overnight. I woke up today not having any hope but the phone is working perfectly! This may not work for everybody since I just dunked my phone in for less than a second but I'd give it a try anyways. Once again, thank you!

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to add that my s8 fell in the sand and it did not occur to me at all that it could get in the charging port. phone died last night and went to plug it in and heard the cruch when I tried. blew it out, used a tiny paint brush - still kept getting a "moisture detected" alert (it never got wet though...) rinsed it in the sink for a second with fresh water and then let it dry overnight. tried to charge again in the morning and it was back to normal (phewf!)