Theory Crafting: Cooling a CPU without IHS?

Even though it could be quite dangerous and a bit messy, is there anyway to cool a CPU with a standard cooler without needing to leave the IHS on the CPU? I would guess that would improve thermals a little bit more than a delid.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

Uhh its possible that the cooler itself wont come down far enough to touch the die. Plus it might cause under room temperatures which may cause water droplets too form which is always bad. 

Yeah i just released that the cpu latch on the motherboard would touch the cpu cooler first and actually not come in contact with the die itself. The latch is designed to hold the cpu in place and the IHS usually comes up a little bit for it to make contract with the cpu cooler. Without it, the cpu cooler will touch the latch and there would be space in between them.

The IHS while not massively thick does add some hieght too the cpu for when u mount the cooler. From what videos I have seen sometimes you actually have to start shaving away part of the plastic shroud which goes around the socket as to fit the cpu cooler and as soon as you start doing that. Kiss your warranty goodbye but saying that if your going to these lenghts you know the risks involved and the potential costs that come with it.

6 minutes ago, Lazaro said:

Plus it might cause under room temperatures which may cause water droplets too form which is always bad. 

dude what,do you have any idea how cooling works?

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

1 minute ago, McHox said:

dude what,do you have any idea how cooling works?

uhh yes... If my cpu cooler can cool my cpu to 30-35c and then i take off my IHS, don't you think i'll get 20-30c temps? 20-30c is easily in room temps, and anytime something cold comes in contact with air warmer than it , it causes water droplets to form on the surface of the cold item.

5 minutes ago, Lazaro said:

uhh yes... If my cpu cooler can cool my cpu to 30-35c and then i take off my IHS, don't you think i'll get 20-30c temps? 20-30c is easily in room temps, and anytime something cold comes in contact with air warmer than it , it causes water droplets to form on the surface of the cold item.

you cant cool it below ambient temperature unless you're running a phase change cooler or dry ice/Ln2...
thats just not possible with air and watercoolers

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Just now, McHox said:

you cant cool it below ambient temperature unless you're running a phase change cooler or dry ice/Ln2...
thats just not possible with air and watercoolers

uhh just grab an AIO and spin the fans to like 50%, I bet you water will form.

6 minutes ago, Lazaro said:

dude...

9vzYQwj-300x219.jpg

16 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

The IHS while not massively thick does add some hieght too the cpu for when u mount the cooler. From what videos I have seen sometimes you actually have to start shaving away part of the plastic shroud which goes around the socket as to fit the cpu cooler and as soon as you start doing that. Kiss your warranty goodbye but saying that if your going to these lenghts you know the risks involved and the potential costs that come with it.

You just remove the socket hold down mech.

6 minutes ago, dexT said:

You just remove the socket hold down mech.

Yes on some this is true but on some sockets the 4 corners are raised even with the mech removed and they have to shave a micro amount to make it work.

37 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Yes on some this is true but on some sockets the 4 corners are raised even with the mech removed and they have to shave a micro amount to make it work.

Ah yeah makes sense.

1 hour ago, Lazaro said:

You can't pump heat into a warmer ambient, and you water doesn't run up hill either. Physics and thermal dynamics man, you cant get cooler than ambient with air cooling.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430