[solved ... kinda] Motherboard (Z77) doesn't see 3rd graphics card

I added a 1060 to my PC which already has a pair of 1070s.  Windows detects both 1070s just fine, but not the 1060. 

The card has power, the fans turn, I tested the card and it works fine when it's alone in the PC, but Windows just doesn't see it when the 1070s are installed.  Linux Mint doesn't see it either, apparently the hardware just isn't detected by any OS.

I've checked my BIOS for PCI-e settings, thinking I might have to manually switch to 8-4-4 even though it is known to automatically go to 8-4-4 whenever any device is plugged in to the bottom slot, but the only option I have is to choose PCI-e 3.0 to be auto or disabled.  (which doesn't make a difference seeing as my Sandy CPU only supports PCI-e 2.0 anyway)

I know that these motherboards are used for mining and can take up to 7 GPUs with any Sandy Bridge CPU, so 3 GPUs should be easy.  This one isn't having any of it though. 

Any suggestions?  I'm going to insert it between the 1070s, but I am fairly confident that the bottom 1070 won't show up then.

Full specs :

CPU : Intel i5-2500 @ stock 3.3GHz

MoBo : MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming

PSU : BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P10 850W, each GPU has its own 12V rail

GPUs : 2x Asus Strix GTX1070, 1x Asus GTX1060

Storage : Samsung 840EVO 250GB

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I added a 1060 to my PC which already has a pair of 1070s.  Windows detects both 1070s just fine, but not the 1060. 

The card has power, the fans turn, I tested the card and it works fine when it's alone in the PC, but Windows just doesn't see it when the 1070s are installed.  Linux Mint doesn't see it either, apparently the hardware just isn't detected by any OS.

I've checked my BIOS for PCI-e settings, thinking I might have to manually switch to 8-4-4 even though it is known to automatically go to 8-4-4 whenever any device is plugged in to the bottom slot, but the only option I have is to choose PCI-e 3.0 to be auto or disabled.  (which doesn't make a difference seeing as my Sandy CPU only supports PCI-e 2.0 anyway)

I know that these motherboards are used for mining and can take up to 7 GPUs with any Sandy Bridge CPU, so 3 GPUs should be easy.  This one isn't having any of it though. 

Any suggestions?  I'm going to insert it between the 1070s, but I am fairly confident that the bottom 1070 won't show up then.

Full specs :

Reveal hidden contents

CPU : Intel i5-2500 @ stock 3.3GHz

MoBo : MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming

PSU : BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P10 850W, each GPU has its own 12V rail

GPUs : 2x Asus Strix GTX1070, 1x Asus GTX1060

Storage : Samsung 840EVO 250GB

Reveal hidden contents

3 way no longer works on pascal graphics cards.

1 minute ago, g12601 said:

3 way no longer works on pascal graphics cards.

OP said nothing about SLI. This is 3 independent cards.

First thought,  is BIOS up to date?

Just now, g12601 said:

3 way no longer works on pascal graphics cards

As far as I know that only applies to 3-way SLI.  I'm not trying to put them in SLI, just 3 independent graphics cards. 

Just now, Evanair said:

OP said nothing about SLI. This is 3 independent cards.

First thought,  is BIOS up to date?

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

As far as I know that only applies to 3-way SLI.  I'm not trying to put them in SLI, just 3 independent graphics cards. 

Oops, my bad :P 

So first things first.  Check your manual and find out how the PCIe slots are wired. Personally, I'd take out the 2nd 1070 and try to boot just the two single 60 and 70, on the top and whatever original port you had it plugged into. See if you can even get that card to be recognised on that slot (even if you have to boot it as the only add-on card)

From there, if everything is setup as it should be with 3 cards, might try running the 1060 as the primary card and the two 1070s on the lower slots.

Without looking into your manual or searching it, those are my recommendations before really digging into things.

6 minutes ago, g12601 said:

Oops, my bad :P 

No worries, you tried to help. 

@evanair : it's fairly up-to-date.  Downloading the latest one now though.  Also going to take out the 1070s and see if I can get it to work with only the 1060 in the bottom slot it currently is in. 

All righty ...

BIOS is updated (I was on the 2nd to last version), been messing around with the cards a bit.  The PC just doesn't see whichever graphics card is in the bottom PCI-e slot. 

I have a PCI-e x1 -> 4x USB3.0 card in my spares closet.  Gonna install that, see if Windows picks up on it.  If it doesn't, the bottom PCI-e slot is dead. 

EDIT : nope, that slot is dead apparently.  Oh well, gonna borrow a socket 1155 motherboard off a buddy of mine then and see if I can get it to work that way.

Thanks for the help peeps !