Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Used WD40 do clean my case, how fucked am i?

So im building a PC inside a suitcase. I peeled all the foam off inside the suitcase but there was still some pieces stuck and there was alot of sticky residue from holding the foam. i googled how to get sticky residue off things and alot of people said WD40, so i used it (not knowing how flamable it is). I know im an idiot but ive never used a garage full of tools before i started this project. Do i clean it off or let it dry out? Or is the suitcase ruined? Also if its still usable how can i get the sticky residue the foam left behind? I was going to plasti dip the whole inside the case, would that just create a layer over the residue and feel smooth after im finished?

WD40 evaporates fairly quickly. 

FYI WD stands for water displacement, its not a cleaner but it does work as one when in a pinch.

Wipe it down with a soapy water and rag and you should be fine.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS     |     TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES     |     FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |     F@H & BOINC Badge Request     |    F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

WD40 evaporates fairly quickly. 

FYI WD stands for water displacement, its not a cleaner but it does work as one when in a pinch.

Wipe it down with a soapy water and rag and you should be fine.

OK nice, Thank you so much

I would dab with a paper towel and let it air out for a few days with a fan next to it and perhaps attempt to replace the cloth if you can with new material and add a waterproof coating to it to prevent flames however before you put a coating on it make sure the stickiness is gone you can use a substance called "Goo Gone" then put the waterproof sealant over that to prevent flames in your Pc (although that would look amazing) Providing a picture of it would also help me diagnose your problem further to see if the suitcase is beyond repair or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Surface-Adhesive-Remover/dp/B00006IBNJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498192189&sr=1-1&keywords=goo+off 

You now have a well lubricated PC. Those electrons should be moving much smoother now.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers