Project Oracle - Dual CPU, 1080 SLI mid-tower

Parts list:

Loop components:

Spoiler

EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)

EK-CoolStream PE 240 (Dual)

EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl. sleeved pump)

EK-FC GeForce GTX FE - Acetal+Nickel *2

EK-Supremacy EVO X99 - Full Nickel*2

CPU Mark with all 44 cores. I guess it's safe to say that this is one of the most powerful mid-towers out there? 

Spoiler

u9Sk2OL.jpg

Some photos of the mostly finished loop:

Spoiler

ZA8XkAN.jpg

Vj7ARidh.jpg

Modded the top rad bracket to take fans above the bracket. A quick shot before I plugged the holes for better airflow. I found out that a 360*180mm magnetic dust filter fits perfectly over the fans. 

bla4Oos.jpg

Update: Loop completed and tested! Here's a shot of the entire build...

NwPd0TC.jpg

More Photos:

Spoiler

The FC terminal and dual GTX 1080's. I vinyl wrapped the PSU. Mounting the pump bracket through the PSU shroud was a bit challenging. Since the opening was too small, I had to tape down the pump, slide the rad in and then screw them together inside the chassis.

ziLeWmx.jpg

A close-up of the two CPU blocks. I planned for Acetal+Nickel all the way through but decided to use full nickel Supremacy Evo's at the last moment. When you have this much CPU power under the hood, you might as well show it off a little :D 

l98Inpj.jpg

What 88 threads look like in Task Manager...

2bqCwp2.jpg

Easily pulling close to even with two 6950X's in CPU-Z. 

nwzPGC9.jpg

Finally, a shot with the full chassis:

2MIhTRT.jpg

Can we get more pics? I'm really digging that all black...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

more pics pls

it looks amazing

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Just now, shadowbyte said:

more pics pls

it looks amazing

I'm running thermal cycle tests now so the system is TP'd up...more pics to come tonight!

Ya know, hard-line builds look so good, I didn't particularly like soft tubing, but this one looks really really clean. Great work! 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Ya know, hard-line builds look so good, I didn't particularly like soft tubing, but this one looks really really clean. Great work! 

Thanks! This is a workstation so I did want to keep the ability to pull the CPUs or a GPU without completely redoing the loop. Hardline is awesome - if you don't have to be the person maintaining it!

Build completed! Running a few more hours supervised, but I think it all turned out fine :) 

Temps aren't the best in the world - low 40s on the CPUs and high 40s on the GPUs on synthetic loads, and this is with the Furious Vardar fans at ~2900 rpm. I don't anticipate real workloads being anywhere near that demanding, though.

Normally I always say hardline looks better but in this case that rubber tubing matches the colors really well...

Honestly I would've though the pic was black and white except the background isn't xD 

This is one of the best builds I've seen on this forum in a while. Kudos to you.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Normally I always say hardline looks better but in this case that rubber tubing matches the colors really well...

Honestly I would've though the pic was black and white except the background isn't xD 

This is one of the best builds I've seen on this forum in a while. Kudos to you.

Yep. This is my first time using ZMT but I've always thought that it could look understated and clean with the right parts and fittings :D Plus the stuff is literally part of a garden hose which means no concerns with plasticizers or whatever.

Maybe hardline on the next build...

2 hours ago, FrankV said:

This is awesome. Not only because it's obnoxiously overpowered but because it's water cooled and obnoxiously overpowered. 

Beautiful job. I love the contrast between the nickel and the tubes. 

Well, seeing that it's meant to replace AWS instances, I would say it's slightly underpowered for what it's going to be doing :) 

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Darkmatter35 said:

What thickness out ZMT is that ?

10/16 - I would have actually preferred thicker, but 10/16 fittings are the easiest to get and I wasn't sure how many I'd need.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say how your build got 'featured' by EK on facebook! :D 

d.PNG.aac1ab318389b9ebab512892adf31975.PNG

Nonetheless, looks very clean!

...Actually maybe too clean...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Just wanted to say how your build got 'featured' by EK on facebook! :D 

d.PNG.aac1ab318389b9ebab512892adf31975.PNG

Nonetheless, looks very clean!

...Actually maybe too clean...

Wow! Thanks for posting this here! 

On 6/22/2017 at 11:36 AM, DocSwag said:

What is the use case?

1 hour ago, NovaMan01 said:

What is the use case?

Assorted compute workloads. Both GPUs are for CUDA as well.

@Zhanming12 Hey mate, if its possible under the spoiler for the loop components, would you be able to list the tubing details (brand/type/colour/size) as well as the fittings (type/colour/size), just that I am a watercooling newb and would like to try make this kind of aesthetic for my own personal rig (just the overcooling setup, as its very unique and not a very common look so it is hard to find out what the parts are). Thanks a lot in advance ^_^

On 2017-06-22 at 8:34 PM, Zhanming12 said:

Parts list:

Loop components:

Reveal hidden contents

EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)

EK-CoolStream PE 240 (Dual)

EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl. sleeved pump)

EK-FC GeForce GTX FE - Acetal+Nickel *2

EK-Supremacy EVO X99 - Full Nickel*2

CPU Mark with all 44 cores. I guess it's safe to say that this is one of the most powerful mid-towers out there? 

Reveal hidden contents

u9Sk2OL.jpg

Some photos of the mostly finished loop:

Reveal hidden contents

ZA8XkAN.jpg

Vj7ARidh.jpg

Modded the top rad bracket to take fans above the bracket. A quick shot before I plugged the holes for better airflow. I found out that a 360*180mm magnetic dust filter fits perfectly over the fans. 

bla4Oos.jpg

Update: Loop completed and tested! Here's a shot of the entire build...

NwPd0TC.jpg

More Photos:

Reveal hidden contents

The FC terminal and dual GTX 1080's. I vinyl wrapped the PSU. Mounting the pump bracket through the PSU shroud was a bit challenging. Since the opening was too small, I had to tape down the pump, slide the rad in and then screw them together inside the chassis.

ziLeWmx.jpg

A close-up of the two CPU blocks. I planned for Acetal+Nickel all the way through but decided to use full nickel Supremacy Evo's at the last moment. When you have this much CPU power under the hood, you might as well show it off a little :D 

l98Inpj.jpg

What 88 threads look like in Task Manager...

2bqCwp2.jpg

Easily pulling close to even with two 6950X's in CPU-Z. 

nwzPGC9.jpg

Finally, a shot with the full chassis:

2MIhTRT.jpg

looks really neat, u also got featured on ekwb's instagram i believe! congrats on that. But are the GPU's sagging a bit? might be the bottom tube bending them downwards. 

8 hours ago, J0my said:

@Zhanming12 Hey mate, if its possible under the spoiler for the loop components, would you be able to list the tubing details (brand/type/colour/size) as well as the fittings (type/colour/size), just that I am a watercooling newb and would like to try make this kind of aesthetic for my own personal rig (just the overcooling setup, as its very unique and not a very common look so it is hard to find out what the parts are). Thanks a lot in advance ^_^

The tubing is 10/16 ZMT. Fittings are compression fittings in Nickel. Pretty much everything in the loop is from EK - full nickel CPU blocks, nickel+acetal GPU blocks. The pump/res combo is the EK 140 in acetal, and the ram covers are also acetal.

Always love seeing builds in this case. :)

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

• 3 weeks later...

That is really beautiful, I love the clean black tubing

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

• 1 month later...

Nice build, I'm think of building something like that with my pair of good old 2696's. I don't see much the point of using not top-of-the-line processors for dual xeon builds when even a single cpu from newer generation can be much better and get you there for a fraction of the price. Fortunately 2696 are very competitive even today thanks to all-core-turbo hack and very good value used today, two of them would be a real monster (72-88x 3.4-3.8Ghz or so), good bye public cloud

One thing I'm worried about is will it blend run tensorflow & co if I stuff it full of GPUs? From some quick searches about dual xeon motherboards I gather these things pretty much universally don't support SLI (PCI lanes routing is hard or some sh*t like that). Is SLI just a silly gaming thing? CUDA workloads work just fine without it? What's your experience?

I'd seriously choose a smaller case than Phanteks. Currently looking forward to Lian Li V720 which should be coming "any moment now", it's ATX with what seems like nice airflows and looks and most importantly cabin baggage sized at about 30l. 140mm cooler height restriction for it is just somewhat disappointing, and it has to be aircooled for airline's safety, any recommendations for best under 140mm 2011v3 cooler?

4 hours ago, TantrumEU said:

I'd seriously choose a smaller case than Phanteks

I used Phanteks Enthoo Pro and I like it, but my build is just a fraction of this!

11.thumb.jpg.d461fcb7351c6c17880f6c025bef0f98.jpg

Great computer and I like the case! Water is overkill because Xeons could not go over 64 degrees with cheap air coolers 100% load!!! 

11 hours ago, TantrumEU said:

Nice build, I'm think of building something like that with my pair of good old 2696's. I don't see much the point of using not top-of-the-line processors for dual xeon builds when even a single cpu from newer generation can be much better and get you there for a fraction of the price. Fortunately 2696 are very competitive even today thanks to all-core-turbo hack and very good value used today, two of them would be a real monster (72-88x 3.4-3.8Ghz or so), good bye public cloud

One thing I'm worried about is will it blend run tensorflow & co if I stuff it full of GPUs? From some quick searches about dual xeon motherboards I gather these things pretty much universally don't support SLI (PCI lanes routing is hard or some sh*t like that). Is SLI just a silly gaming thing? CUDA workloads work just fine without it? What's your experience?

I'd seriously choose a smaller case than Phanteks. Currently looking forward to Lian Li V720 which should be coming "any moment now", it's ATX with what seems like nice airflows and looks and most importantly cabin baggage sized at about 30l. 140mm cooler height restriction for it is just somewhat disappointing, and it has to be aircooled for airline's safety, any recommendations for best under 140mm 2011v3 cooler?

Not sure about the specific 2U board you have in mind, but the Z10-PA/PE series rush SLI just fine. SLI is useless for CUDA, since you just manually assign loads to the GPU's, but I figured that it's better to have the option I game on the machine. 

If you want to turbo-hack the 2696 I'm not sure if any 140mm air cooler would work without a lot of thermal throttling. Without all-core turbo with an ATX 2U board you're still looking at a tiny amount of real estate per CPU, so the only option is probably dual blower coolers. Going to EEB means you can fit a pair of Noctua U12's which should handle 140-150W just fine, though.