I'm a little confused.

Ok, I am a little confused and I need something explained to me. I've studied CompTIA A= Certification but I don't remember everything in it. I know Linus mentioned in his latest video about i9 having different amounts of "Lanes" from 40 to 44, but does that mean that you're limited on how many PCIe devices you can have on an X299 board? Does it mean that a 16x GPU will run at 8X or less? I don't quite understand what he meant in the video. Could someone clearly explain to me what it means and why it's good or bad and does it mean I'd be limited on how many PCIe Devices I can have? 

EDIT: and why did he say we're limited on how much memory we are able to have?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

You are limited yes, but your gpu will just do whatever automatically

Just now, yathis said:

You are limited yes, but your gpu will just do whatever automatically

But why is it limited? And what's with the limitation on Memory on the main board? 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

It means the CPU itself can provide 44 lanes for whatever.

So you can split them up however you want.

For example, you could do sli and have two GPUs running at x16, plus another 3 m.2 SSDs running in x4.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Limited as in the about of PCIe Lane availability. This gets consumer by M.2 PCIe, GPU, sound cards, WiFi adapter, etc. You'd have to run a lot of things to come close to making it out. But it's simple math depending on what you have hooked up.

Just now, Josh_Grid21 said:

But why is it limited? And what's with the limitation on Memory on the main board? 

Because the CPU only has a certain amount of bandwidth built it in order to give towards other things.

Are you referring to Kaby Lake x? If so he might be talking about the fact that Kaby Lake x CPUs can only use 4 dimm slots.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Because the CPU only has a certain amount of bandwidth built it in order to give towards other things.

Are you referring to Kaby Lake x? If so he might be talking about the fact that Kaby Lake x CPUs can only use 4 dimm slots.

But that's so wasteful if you can only run 4 DIMMs on Kaby Lake x. And also, there was mention of you have to get an Intel RAID Key just to use more raid option, why exactly, but is that SATA Raid Unlock or PCIe CPU RAIN unlock?

Just now, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Proof certifications don't mean anything! 

Yeah but it helps to have them if you want to get into high paying jobs. xD

1 minute ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

But that's so wasteful if you can only run 4 DIMMs on Kaby Lake x. And also, there was mention of you have to get an Intel RAID Key just to use more raid option, why exactly, but is that SATA Raid Unlock or PCIe CPU RAIN unlock?

Because Intel is chock full of nimrods, that's why. "You want this technology? PAY."

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Since they're using CPUs with only dual channel though I mean there isn't much that can be done xD 

I'm not sure exactly whether it unlocks sata or pcie or whatever.

I think the reason they did that is because they're gonna be offering higher core count non Xeon cpus now that'll probably end up cheaper than their Xeon counterparts, so they had to do something to make it worth going for Xeons. Requiring you to pay extra for raid is one way to make that happen.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, knightslugger said:

Because Intel is chock full of nimrods, that's why.

So basically, when it comes right down to it, it sounds like x299 platform isn't worth it with all the limitations? Why would they suddenly limit everything if they weren't ready, from it sounds like, to offer a CPU with high bandwidth?

4 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

So basically, when it comes right down to it, it sounds like x299 platform isn't worth it with all the limitations? Why would they suddenly limit everything if they weren't ready, from it sounds like, to offer a CPU with high bandwidth?

Like Linus said in the video, x299 on i7 HEDPs is targeted to users who MIGHT save up for i9 HEDPs but don't have $1000 to drop on a single component at build time. That's the only reason to jump to the x299 wagon. otherwise you might as well stick with KabyLake 77XX processors on Z270.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Like Linus said in the video, x299 on i7 HEDPs is targeted to users who MIGHT save up for i9 HEDPs but don't have $1000 to drop on a single component at build time.

Now I am still running a 4790 Haswell, but is it worth the upgrade? OR is it worth waiting to see what Intel does to maybe improve the platform or see what AMD offers?

Now I am still running a 4790 Haswell, but is it worth the upgrade? OR is it worth waiting to see what Intel does to maybe improve the platform or see what AMD offers?

that's a question not up to me to decide. 4790 is little worse than a 7700, certainly not worth the $500+ for a complete overhaul unless you need more processing power (in the form of more cores running just as fast), or AVX512, or the gaggle of PCIe lanes the i9 HEDPs offer, or that RAID solution Linus was talking about (obviously i don't need it because i don't even know what the hell he's talking about, bootable RAID on NVMe?).

if you don't need those things, or if you're on a limited budget then fuck no it's not worth it.

System specs:

17 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Proof certifications don't mean anything! 

helps you get hired though :) 

the memory is Kabylake-x not haveing a memory controller that can do quad chanel memory seeing as its just a 7700K in a new packadge

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

if thats the locked SKU then still not really, its just not that far behind. the only thing to upgrade to from it would be something with more then four cores because your workload can handle it, which is basically just if you are doing video edeting or photo stuff or things like that. even streaming is a kinda meh reason to upgrade from that chip tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

that's a question not up to me to decide. 4790 is little worse than a 7700, certainly not worth the $500+ for a complete overhaul unless you need more processing power (in the form of more cores running just as fast), or AVX512, or the gaggle of PCIe lanes the i9 HEDPs offer, or that RAID solution Linus was talking about (obviously i don't need it because i don't even know what the hell he's talking about, bootable RAID on NVMe?).

if you don't need those things, or if you're on a limited budget then fuck no it's not worth it.

What is HEDP? and Bootable on RAID NVMe means, I think, you can boot from an NVMe SSD through the PCIe lane. RAID is redundant array of independent disks. It's a way to create live images of your system while it's running. 

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

if thats the locked SKU then still not really, its just not that far behind. the only thing to upgrade to from it would be something with more then four cores because your workload can handle it, which is basically just if you are doing video edeting or photo stuff or things like that. even streaming is a kinda meh reason to upgrade from that chip tbh

It's a non-K version. But I have noticed my workload has kinda increased with streaming to twitch, having Chrome open, and running a game that uses multiple cores, not to mention video editing, although GPU-Acceleration does help take some of the workload off the CPU. 

56 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

No worth to jump on hotter CPU, Threadripper is gonna rip intel for their moar PCIe lanes. AMD learned that shooting first is bad, even though sales on rX 480 and 470 inflates over GTX 1060

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

11 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

No worth to jump on hotter CPU, Threadripper is gonna rip intel for their moar PCIe lanes. AMD learned that shooting first is bad, even though sales on rX 480 and 470 inflates over GTX 1060

So wait till benchmarks come out and see what's what then?

6 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

So wait till benchmarks come out and see what's what then?

Yeah, and we want vega.

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol