Corsair Vengeance Vs Dominator Platinums

so, my friend and i have the same MoBo and CPU, but i have corsair Vengeance RAM and he has corsair Dominator Platinum RAM.

both are factory rated for 3000MHz. 

what is the chance i can overclock my sticks to be faster than his?

for some weird reason my sticks boot @2133MHz in bios, but are stable at 3000MHz in OS, what's up with that? I had to manually set that speed in the Bios. 

MoBo is the Asus z270i mini-ITX

CPU is i7 7700k

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Ram is only guaranteed for the speed that is on the box and on the sticks. 

Overclocking RAM, just like CPU's, is a crab-shoot; you may have gotten golden sticks for overclocking and he may have poop that wont go more than a few hundred MHz over stock rating. 

It varies - only way is to test it and find out!

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

12 minutes ago, dadasmithywinkle said:

Ram is only guaranteed for the speed that is on the box and on the sticks. 

Overclocking RAM, just like CPU's, is a crab-shoot; you may have gotten golden sticks for overclocking and he may have poop that wont go more than a few hundred MHz over stock rating. 

It varies - only way is to test it and find out!

i normally don't over clock RAM, but now i will given the challenge, how far should I expect to push it, and in what increments?

for example, most CPU can see a 10-20% increase in clock when over clocking. is RAM the same way? or is it more like 5-10%?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

12 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

i normally don't over clock RAM, but now i will given the challenge, how far should I expect to push it, and in what increments?

for example, most CPU can see a 10-20% increase in clock when over clocking. is RAM the same way? or is it more like 5-10%?

Not sure, TBH

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.