Corsair H110i GT Fan configuration

I have my radiator fans set up underneath the radiators so they're pulling air from the outside and into the case (I've seen the Linus video on push/pull configurations). But in this picture on the product website the fans are on top of the radiator.

My concern is fan noise, the fans are loud as hell. Would changing the position of the fans like this make them quieter?

Or should I replace them for quieter fans? (Any suggestions on quiet fans would be great)

Also the Corsair link software doesn't seem to detect the cooler anymore so I can't adjust the fan speeds, I tried replugging in the USB header and it detected and worked for a while but it's not detected again D:

FC9C4F4235E54948A93FA8A7B76E6742.ashx?w=780

I don't see switching it making a difference.

Can't you control the fans in the bios? Or are the fans not plugged into mobo fan headers?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 minutes ago, trace6x said:

-snip-

Just to be clear, in the picture you posted, the fans are still in a pull configuration if it is set up as exhaust (it would indeed be push if it was an intake, but the top mounted configuration is normally an exhaust). Changing between push and pull won't make a difference for sound unfortunately - go for quieter fans.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I don't see switching it making a difference.

Can't you control the fans in the bios? Or are the fans not plugged into mobo fan headers?

It's better to plug in the fans into the waterpump instead of the motherboard since the fans should link to watertemperatures instead of CPU temperatures. Not sure about detection by corsair link - loose cable?

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into changing the fans in terms of noise. Any recommendations?

As for the detection, I can't remember how it was all set up, I remember it being complicated. I don't think the bios settings apply to the fans, I think they're controller by the corsair link software, I'm just not sure why the water cooler isn't showing up. I'll try reconnecting it later.

I've used Noctuas, but they are also quite expensive so your choice. I think there are quite a few options like BeQuiet Silent Wings. There should be a microUSB cable to go into the pump directry and a USB2 header to go into the motherboard (at least this is the case for H100i)

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

I've used Noctuas, but they are also quite expensive so your choice. I think there are quite a few options like BeQuiet Silent Wings. There should be a microUSB cable to go into the pump directry and a USB2 header to go into the motherboard (at least this is the case for H100i)

Just bought 2 Noctuas fans, the higher spec ones were the same price as the be quiet fans so I got the noctuas fans. 

Yeah it's weird I had it all setup just fine, the usb cable is plugged into the header it's only since I've looked at corsair link for the first time in months that I noticed the system hasn't been detected.

There's an unintuitive thing you can do to get fans to be quieter in a scenario like this: "Add more fans".

Sounds completely off kilter but there is a small but tangible increase in performance when going to a push-pull configuration from a push or a pull configuration.

With a second set of fans helping to draw air through the radiator, you can then afford to lower the fan RPMs further with minimal to no loss in cooling performance.

I did just that on my (previously) AiO cooler GPU and managed to keep load temps in the 60s while having very quiet operation.

---

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, PrimeSonic said:

There's an unintuitive thing you can do to get fans to be quieter in a scenario like this: "Add more fans".

Sounds completely off kilter but there is a small but tangible increase in performance when going to a push-pull configuration from a push or a pull configuration.

With a second set of fans helping to draw air through the radiator, you can then afford to lower the fan RPMs further with minimal to no loss in cooling performance.

I did just that on my (previously) AiO cooler GPU and managed to keep load temps in the 60s while having very quiet operation.

Unfortunately there's not enough room below my radiator for another set of fans, I did consider it though!

The Noctua fans are far better than stock Corsair ones, significantly quieter, now I want to replace all the fans in my case for them!