Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Room Cooling Solution

Go to solution Solved by LyyK,
24 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Congratulations!  You're going to get to learn how to cut plexiglass!  Or learn to deal with heat...

 

file.php?id=25371

This. You technically don't even have to ask your landlord. When you move out, remove the mount and smash the living F$#& out of the window and say it was an accident. The landlord shall never know huehue and besides, accidents do happen.

 

EDIT: Or, simply mount a sheet of plexiglass in the window frame as @AshleyAshes suggested. Working with plexiglass is miles easier than with glass.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Congratulations!  You're going to get to learn how to cut plexiglass!  Or learn to deal with heat...

 

file.php?id=25371

I live in am apartment and if i do this i would get kicked out with my roommate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captinjigglesworth said:

I live in am apartment and if i do this i would get kicked out with my roommate. 

No, I don't think you understand.  That is a temporary piece of plexiglass/lexan/something the same size as the window that is temporary placed in the window frame.  It's has not modified the actual window at all.  As you can see, the casement window is still isntalled there and it's even swung open.  You can even see the grid of the screen because no actual modifications have been installed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Congratulations!  You're going to get to learn how to cut plexiglass!  Or learn to deal with heat...

 

file.php?id=25371

This. You technically don't even have to ask your landlord. When you move out, remove the mount and smash the living F$#& out of the window and say it was an accident. The landlord shall never know huehue and besides, accidents do happen.

 

EDIT: Or, simply mount a sheet of plexiglass in the window frame as @AshleyAshes suggested. Working with plexiglass is miles easier than with glass.

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be a bad idea to put my pc outside and then cover it with somthing but leaving the fans room? it gets to 85+ in chicago in summer maybe that could work and buy longer cables that can run through the slightly opened window?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LyyK said:

This. You technically don't even have to ask your landlord. When you move out, remove the mount and smash the living F$#& out of the window and say it was an accident. The landlord shall never know huehue and besides, accidents do happen.

...Or you could just put up the temporary Plexiglas plate with weatherproofed duck tape and take it down in the fall. o.O

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LyyK said:

This. You technically don't even have to ask your landlord. When you move out, remove the mount and smash the living F$#& out of the window and say it was an accident. The landlord shall never know huehue and besides, accidents do happen.

 

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

No, I don't think you understand.  That is a temporary piece of plexiglass/lexan/something the same size as the window that is temporary placed in the window frame.  It's has not modified the actual window at all.  As you can see, the casement window is still isntalled there and it's even swung open.  You can even see the grid of the screen because no actual modifications have been installed.

Thank you you guys and girls are very smart and i will try it but does home depot sell this stuff? and if  so any links u can share?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, you could also do it with WOOD or foam insulation board too.  You'd just stop being able to SEE out your window.  Foam insulation board would probably be the cheapest and easiest if you're willing to sacrifice your view of the outside world.  You can cut that up with a knife, cut a hole for the exhaust hose for the portable air conditioner and just tape it into the window frame when the window is open.

 

Plexiglass or something would be, ya know, the fancy COOL way to do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...Or you could just put up the temporary Plexiglas plate with weatherproofed duck tape and take it down in the fall. o.O

... oh yeah, that's probably a safer solution.

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

Link to post
Share on other sites

I i were to do that would i have to worry about the rain/snow and bugs/birds or any other animal getting in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Oh, you could also do it with WOOD or foam insulation board too.  You'd just stop being able to SEE out your window.  Foam insulation board would probably be the cheapest and easiest if you're willing to sacrifice your view of the outside world.  You can cut that up with a knife, cut a hole for the exhaust hose for the portable air conditioner and just tape it into the window frame when the window is open.

 

Plexiglass or something would be, ya know, the fancy COOL way to do it.

I have two windows sude by side so i would do it from the farther one so i have some link to the rest of the world and nature

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captinjigglesworth said:

I i were to do that would i have to worry about the rain/snow and bugs/birds or any other animal getting in?

Assuming you taped ti up well, not really.  If you used foam insulation board, that's already an insulating material and people uset hat alll the time to fill gaps when a window doesn't fully close due to air conditioning.  Obviously, it'll not be AS good as the window being closed and the tape you used would weather if you left it up for YEARS.  But seasonally, people do hackjobs like that all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captinjigglesworth said:

I i were to do that would i have to worry about the rain/snow and bugs/birds or any other animal getting in?

If you seal it off properly, no. You could put a vent on the exhaust if you're afraid they would make their way in that route.

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could place it outside the room and run wires to your peripherals from where ever it's placed.

 

I don't know if this was suggested before, didn't read the rest of the thread because of so many shitposts.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Captinjigglesworth said:

I have two windows sude by side so i would do it from the farther one so i have some link to the rest of the world and nature

What, is this window not good enough? B|

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LyyK said:

If you seal it off properly, no. You could put a vent on the exhaust if you're afraid they would make their way in that route.

In my experience, most portable conditioners exhaust units already have a grill at the window plate attachment point to prevent wayward squirrels from climbing through the hose like it's the PlayLand at McDonalds. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AshleyAshes said:

In my experience, most portable conditioners exhaust units already have a grill at the window plate attachment point to prevent wayward squirrels from climbing through the hose like it's the PlayLand at McDonalds. :)

Thank you do u have a link for the portable air conditioning i can find the other parts

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captinjigglesworth said:

Thank you do u have a link for the portable air conditioning i can find the other parts

Portable air conditioners are sold as complete kits.  It'll include the unit, the hose, the port, an the plate.  Well, NEW ONES, used could be missing parts obviously.  Downside is, due to their increased complexity, they are more expensive than bog standard window units but they're also more versatile.

 

The only additional material you'd need is a piece of insulation board at least as big as your window, a suitable knife, and duct tape or something similar.  Home Depot or other places.  Honestly, what you should do is take a photo on your phone of your real window and THEN go to Home Depot and say 'I need to install an air conditioner into this' you can rest assured they've had questions like that all the time and they may have more suitable answers for you than us.  The more info the better.

 

Oh and MEASURE your window and bring those measurements with you in case that'll help them.  If they have ideas, the last thing you wanna do is look all dumb and say 'I dunno, the window is 'Window Sized' I guess?'

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

In my experience, most portable conditioners exhaust units already have a grill at the window plate attachment point to prevent wayward squirrels from climbing through the hose like it's the PlayLand at McDonalds. :)

In case it wouldn't include one or if it would ever need replacing do you know if and where (Amazon maybe?) to buy mesh screens/filters, like what some computer cases have to keep dust out? 

 

Similar to this from my case with really small or smaller holes, to keep bugs or animals out like you mention.

image.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

In case it wouldn't include one or if it would ever need replacing do you know if and where (Amazon maybe?) to buy mesh screens/filters, like what some computer cases have to keep dust out? 

 

Similar to this from my case with really small or smaller holes, to keep bugs or animals out like you mention.

Hardware store for generic material.  Exact replacement parts for air conditioners can be a trickier hunt through appliance parts suppliers and such. =X

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Hardware store for generic material.  Exact replacement parts for air conditioners can be a trickier hunt through appliance parts suppliers and such. =X

I was thinking in case OP would need generic mesh stuff that could be cut to the needed size rather than manufacturer replacement parts.  

 

Sorry but but what does "=X" mean?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Sorry but but what does "=X" mean?  

It's an emoticon, like =P or =)  There's also =X

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It's an emoticon, like =P or =)  There's also =X

Is there a dictionary or something that explains what they all mean though? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×