Adding GPU to Loop, add'l radiator needed?

I just have a question. I've recently installed the EK Performance 260 kit in my computer. I've added some fittings but mostly it's just that kit. I want to add my GPU to the loop, next. (Order parts today, I hope).

Originally, I was planning on adding an SE 240 (slim rad) or a PE 240 along with the GPU water block. 

What I'm wondering is if this is needed or suggested. Space in the case (a Corsair 750d) has become premium. I'll try to add some good pictures but know when I say "originally planned", I expected the 240 rad to go on the floor of the case. That is no longer possible and I'd have to put the rad on the front (intake of the case). 

So, layout aside, given I already have a 360 rad, would it be suggested to include a 240 in the loop when adding the GPU? Or is this more a thing to get the computer as quiet as possible? 

Thanks,

Frank

Update: Pictures follow

Update 2: my findings and conclusions here.

You could probably get away with a single 360 rad. But don't expect stellar temps on it.

If you do add another radiator to the loop, you could also take the opportunity to re-plan/re-do your tubing runs to minimize the tubing used and better use the space.

---

Just now, PrimeSonic said:

You could probably get away with a single 360 rad. But don't expect stellar temps on it.

If you do add another radiator to the loop, you could also take the opportunity to re-plan/re-do your tubing runs to minimize the tubing used and better use the space.

I agree on your last point. Included in my order are some 45 and 90-degree angles which I'll use on the CPU block and pump. I know the runs are not the best. First attempt and all and the first piece of hose I cut way too short. Couldn't afford another mistake. 

3 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

- snip -

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

- snip -

Would the slim be good or not enough? I do have NF-F12s to put on it as the fans (I don't think I could use the existing 140mm fans.). 

Although, now I'm wondering if this case can support a 280mm radiator in the front of the case...  (I don't think so but worth checking)

Even a slim 240 added to the loop will make for plenty of cooling performance.

If you can fit it, go for it. You won't regret it.

---

1 hour ago, PrimeSonic said:

Even a slim 240 added to the loop will make for plenty of cooling performance.

If you can fit it, go for it. You won't regret it.

I just placed my order. I took your advice and went with the slim 240 (which I'm more confident I can fit properly without problem). 

Thank you, @PrimeSonic . I appreciate your helpful input (as well as the others')

My loop is all slim radiators (30mm).

I have a 360+240+120 in there.

My GPU and CPU are both kept are frosty temps year round now.

That last 120 wasn't really necessary.

You'll be doing fine. Happy overclocking. ;)

---

Side note: You still have the protective film on the EK logo on your pump/res combo :D

16 hours ago, rasmuskrj said:

Side note: You still have the protective film on the EK logo on your pump/res combo :D

I know. I put the case back together and looked at it and was like "shoot!"

I figure for now it doesn't hurt anything fro the time being. That'll remove it after in install the GPU to the loop. I only installed that loop two weeks ago or so. I've been more interested in the temps and ensuring it doesn't leak than to get all the protectant off. 

But yes, you are right. Good catch. 

20 hours ago, FrankV said:

I know. I put the case back together and looked at it and was like "shoot!"

I figure for now it doesn't hurt anything fro the time being. That'll remove it after in install the GPU to the loop. I only installed that loop two weeks ago or so. I've been more interested in the temps and ensuring it doesn't leak than to get all the protectant off. 

But yes, you are right. Good catch. 

Well I would agree with you that temps are the most important :)

For anyone who finds this thread with a similar question. 

It turns out for my configuration of the 750D, the radiator in the front doesn't fit in the front of the case. The problem pertains to where I have the hard drive cage. Without that, of course, everything fits fine-ish but with the hard drive cage, there is not enough room for the radiator and pump. It would also become difficult to fill. 

The optimal placement for a 240mm rad is on the floor of the case with the pump mounted on top of it. I now understand why so many use that configuration with this particular case. It's far more suited to that.

Anyway, for my part, I've pretty much settled on not using the 240mm radiator I bought. I'll just have to have the GPU and CPU on one radiator. 

Very disappointing.... especially given the size of the case but either I get rid of the 2 3.5 inch hard drives I use for games and archiving and use the radiator or not. 

Anyway, again, I'm just sharing for others' who might have similar questions. 

1 hour ago, FrankV said:

For anyone who finds this thread with a similar question. 

It turns out for my configuration of the 750D, the radiator in the front doesn't fit in the front of the case. The problem pertains to where I have the hard drive cage. Without that, of course, everything fits fine-ish but with the hard drive cage, there is not enough room for the radiator and pump. It would also become difficult to fill. 

The optimal placement for a 240mm rad is on the floor of the case with the pump mounted on top of it. I now understand why so many use that configuration with this particular case. It's far more suited to that.

Anyway, for my part, I've pretty much settled on not using the 240mm radiator I bought. I'll just have to have the GPU and CPU on one radiator. 

Very disappointing.... especially given the size of the case but either I get rid of the 2 3.5 inch hard drives I use for games and archiving and use the radiator or not. 

Anyway, again, I'm just sharing for others' who might have similar questions. 

I know Im late to the party, but I dont understand why you didn't simply relocate your reservoir/pump to somewhere else, giving you room for a front mounted 240mm radiator?

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

40 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

I know Im late to the party, but I dont understand why you didn't simply relocate your reservoir/pump to somewhere else, giving you room for a front mounted 240mm radiator?

The answer is almost always: Space

The reservoir is quite tall; I suppose this was a mistake in my planning. That aside, I want it vertical too. So, with the length of the GPU, that area and the structure of the case (space for the other bays), that space which is shared with the hard drive cage is the only place I can fit the pump/reservoir.  

Well, there's a space between the motherboard and the DVD drive... the reservoir itself clearly fits, and you can get a different pump top and keep it in the basement

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

48 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

Well, there's a space between the motherboard and the DVD drive... the reservoir itself clearly fits, and you can get a different pump top and keep it in the basement

I believe you are correct -- that there'd be space between the motherboard and DVD drive, however, I'm avoiding drilling holes in the case.That said, I'm not against it so when I get home tonight, I'll take a look at that.

What basement? The case doesn't have a basement (unless I mistaking your meaning). I could get a smaller reservoir top but I'm not sure how worth it this is....  I check on the cost though. It's a fair point. 

Edit: In reviewing my pictures I think I've considered mounting it between the DVD drive and MB (very early on) but eliminated that because of the grommet holes (notice that they are pretty large). I thought that once everything else was factored, the mount point would be half over the grommet. And hence I eliminated that pretty quickly. Again though, I will double check on this. But for sake of discuession, I thought I should note this. 

44 minutes ago, FrankV said:

What basement? The case doesn't have a basement (unless I mistaking your meaning). I could get a smaller reservoir top but I'm not sure how worth it this is....  I check on the cost though. It's a fair point. 

My bad, by basement, I meant where your pump currently is... I call everything that is below the motherboard's bottom "the basement"

Also, I see some holes already drilled in your case where beside the motherboard, above the GPU... Depending on your mounting solution, you could probably reuse it

6 hours ago, Kevo05s said:

My bad, by basement, I meant where your pump currently is... I call everything that is below the motherboard's bottom "the basement"

Also, I see some holes already drilled in your case where beside the motherboard, above the GPU... Depending on your mounting solution, you could probably reuse it

Hey -- ok, I finally got to take a look at everything. 

So, more details are here but the bottom line is the radiator won't fit without drilling holes for both the radiator and the pump/res. That is too much. But, in the same thread, a poster reminded me that the radiator can go on the floor. I'd still need to drill holes for the pump/res but this is doable. 12 Holes = bad; 4 holes = acceptable. (let the jokes flow).

Anyway, thank you for posting and helping me think about it. I appreciate your thoughts and time on this matter.  

Now, to actually start this process. (My computer is going to be apart for most of the week... Maybe I can finish it by tomorrow.). 

Cheers!