Pascal GPU Boost 3.0 topic, something every pascal owner should look at.

I ended up with this...with 90% power limit i run 1987mhz and 11 340mhz Gddr5x i get crazy good numbers and the temps and power consumption are very good!

GTX_1080_OC.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Today I learned that the LTT forums just discovered voltage curve! :P

No but seriously, glad to see you guys experimenting with this. We have been doing this with mobile pascal GPU's to achieve higher performance. Most people didn't know that GPU Boost 3.0 throttles in 12mhz steppings when your thermals hit a certain threshold. By undervolting, you can actually achieve a higher clock speed by reducing your thermal load. It requires a fine balance though, as voltage will also dictate stability. Luckily for Pascal, it doesn't scale all that well with voltage, so it's easier to tighten it up with that curve.

For those of you using reference PCB's, you will not have voltage scaling beyond 1093 I think, so you are better off seeing how high your clock speed can go at 1093. Once you figure that out, slowly lower the amount of volts being applied, whilst leaving the clock speed the same. Do this until you reach instability, then move on to the next clock stepping before that. You don't need to do this for the entire curve, just for the range that your thermals normally allow you to hit. While it doesn't do much for people on Desktop (unless you are using an ITX case or something), for mobile Pascal users, this is extremely important.

If you guys need more data on this, I can dig up a thread from a few months back where I discussed this with some other overclockers.

EDIT: I should give credit where it is due, as @Lays was the one to bring this to my attention months ago. He helped enlighten my telegram hardware group with this info, so feel free to abuse him.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Don't really need to do that.  If you set an offset, of say +100 on the core, and go look at the frequency / curve editor, it sets it for you.  Minor adjustments from there will allow for higher clocks, without breaking away from the stock voltage curve enough to hurt performance.  

Either way works...just sayin, there's another way.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

i've noticed that whenever i hit the power limit on my 1070, clock speeds dial back a little too much. could using a voltage curve minimize this? 

Just now, Technicolors said:

i've noticed that whenever i hit the power limit on my 1070, clock speeds dial back a little too much. could using a voltage curve minimize this? 

If you lower the voltage for that clock speed, it could be enough to not hit the power limit.  Sure.  Depends on how cool you can keep the GPU.  10c can make the difference between 2100 @ 1.03v and 2100 @ 1.0v.  It's that sensitive to heat.

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

1 minute ago, Vellinious said:

If you lower the voltage for that clock speed, it could be enough to not hit the power limit.  Sure.  Depends on how cool you can keep the GPU.  10c can make the difference between 2100 @ 1.03v and 2100 @ 1.0v.  It's that sensitive to heat.

i have an AIO 1070, the highest temps i can see is 51c. though recently i added a 3rd party mod cable to control the pump, so that might increase temps a little bit. either way, i believe temperature isn't a big issue. just trying to eliminate this strange dialing back clock speeds whenever i hit power limit. 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

i have an AIO 1070, the highest temps i can see is 51c. though recently i added a 3rd party mod cable to control the pump, so that might increase temps a little bit. either way, i believe temperature isn't a big issue. just trying to eliminate this strange dialing back clock speeds whenever i hit power limit. 

Everyone says that...everyone is wrong.  I've seen boost 3.0 make clock and voltage adjustments at 12c.  That's not a typo.

Currently having issues all of a sudden when loading in profile. I can set a curve and it works. Save the curve, but when I reload the curve it crashes. Even very conservative ones. I think it might not be storing the curves properly. hmm..

EDIT: ok, this is weird. I can't seem to get even 0,962V to work anymore now. It just instacrashes. Surely you can't damage anything by undervolting?

9 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

to add to this thread:

- Hold SHIFT and click on a dot to move the entire curve up and down.

- Hold CTRL and click on a dot that is either more to the left or to the right of the curve to tilt the curve up and down.

For some reason when using those commands my system crashes the moment I try to load in a profile created with using those commands. Really weird.

I've added both the commands but also a warning.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

For some reason when using those commands my system crashes the moment I try to load in a profile created with using those commands. Really weird.

I've added both the commands but also a warning.

you credited the wrong person in the post though (not that i really care but you know :P hehe) that's wierd man, i tried both and it's working fine on my side...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 hours ago, Majestic said:

Currently having issues all of a sudden when loading in profile. I can set a curve and it works. Save the curve, but when I reload the curve it crashes. Even very conservative ones. I think it might not be storing the curves properly. hmm..

EDIT: ok, this is weird. I can't seem to get even 0,962V to work anymore now. It just instacrashes. Surely you can't damage anything by undervolting?

hardware damage? i would highly doubt it...have you tried re-installing your MSI afterburner completely?

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

hardware damage? i would highly doubt it...have you tried re-installing your MSI afterburner completely?

As I've said, it was the CTRL or SHIFT command that screws up the stability. Manually setting the powerstates is fine.

Might just be my unit or EVGA's BIOS, who knows. 

Just now, Majestic said:

As I've said, it was the CTRL or SHIFT command that screws up the stability. Manually setting the powerstates is fine.

Might just be my unit or EVGA's BIOS, who knows. 

well...i messed around for about an hour last night trying different stuff and i used the CTRL and SHIFT quite a bit and the only time i crashed was when trying either too agressive overclock, or too low volts for a certain clock :(

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well...i messed around for about an hour last night trying different stuff and i used the CTRL and SHIFT quite a bit and the only time i crashed was when trying either too agressive overclock, or too low volts for a certain clock :(

Have you tried saving the profile and loading it again? That's when it crashes for me.

Now, time to wait for buildzoid to find a software way to allow his 'fix' of the pascal problem. (Literally a full flat line on the clockspeed graph)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

10 hours ago, Vellinious said:

Everyone says that...everyone is wrong.  I've seen boost 3.0 make clock and voltage adjustments at 12c.  That's not a typo.

Nail on the head bud.  There are temp throttle points throughout the safe operating range.  Even down low.  

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Have you tried saving the profile and loading it again? That's when it crashes for me.

yeah i saved, loaded and edited them a few times...

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Now, time to wait for buildzoid to find a software way to allow his 'fix' of the pascal problem. (Literally a full flat line on the clockspeed graph)

This would only really benefit people aiming for overclocks, right?

Just now, Majestic said:

This would only really benefit people aiming for overclocks, right?

Yeah pretty much. But still, having a constant clock would help for regular consumers too :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Yeah pretty much. But still, having a constant clock would help for regular consumers too :P

What still eludes me is how much of my power saving is down to silicon lottery or Nvidia simply being way too conservative on their voltages.

Just now, Majestic said:

What still eludes me is how much of my power saving is down to silicon lottery or Nvidia simply being way too conservative on their voltages.

It's mostly likely Nvidia trying to maintain the name they started with Maxwell when it came to power consumption.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

It's mostly likely Nvidia trying to maintain the name they started with Maxwell when it came to power consumption.

I don't understand, it's using 40% more power than it should be doing. This helps them, how? :)

2 hours ago, Majestic said:

I don't understand, it's using 40% more power than it should be doing. This helps them, how? :)

assured stability across a wide range of silicon quality...it's a safety net....you don't want 40% of the cards crashing all the time on stock do ya :P

On 13.6.2017 at 5:24 PM, Majestic said:

Can confirm it has a very slight impact on performance apparently. Heaven benchmark score went from 95 to 91.3 during the same clockspeeds.

That said, you can easily compensate by settling for a higher clockspeed and still get a lower power enveloppe.

Using the CTRL and SHIFT commands makes my card entirely unstable.

Sorry my bad, i CTRL was the wrong one, tilting is not a good idea, as the different points will get changed differently.

Shift was the one.

At this point, just a speculation: If you shift it up too much, it COULD be, that the points below 800 mV get changed too, and lower power states become unstable, while the OC one might be stable.

Another method, which i am using:

1. pulling that one desired dot to the point you want

2. everything right from it below

3. every dot RIGHT from it raised by the same amount. So the differences and the "steps" will be similar as with a stock / Offset. And dots below 800 mV might remain untouched.

But i haven't noticed a difference so far. However, i didn't test it that much either.

But glad, you actually noticed the difference. So there is something off with the Curve and Boost 3.0~