Is it possible to make your own VPN server?

Walt
Go to solution Solved by aithos,
On 6/13/2017 at 9:56 AM, Walt said:

My own vpn network at home 

It sounds like you don't understand what a VPN does.  So let's make it really simple:

A VPN is used to make your internet traffic anonymous.  It does that by taking the packets coming out of your ISP and making it seem as though they are coming from the VPN server instead.  So could you set up a VPN server at home?  Absolutely.  Would it actually benefit you in any way?  No.  Because your server would still be sending packets out on your ISP exactly the same as your computer. 

In other words: you would literally be doing nothing except slowing down performance and wasting time/money doing something that doesn't actually accomplish anything.  Not to mention that it could theoretically cost you more for internet or your ISP could consider that a "business service" and determine you are in breach of their ToS and drop you entirely.

So either pay for a trustworthy VPN or don't use one.

Hi everyone,

I don't know much about VPN networks but only that it makes you use your internet my secure and safe. Is it possible to make your own VPN network and if yes how? (I don't want to use any other sites/companies because I don't trust them xD)

I now I'm asking a big question but I was just interested :)

Thanks!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

You can on Windows. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You can on Windows. 

(If you have the time :P) can you tell me?

Or maybe another post where it is told (I couldn't find one)

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

1 minute ago, Walt said:

(If you have the time :P) can you tell me?

Or maybe another post where it is told (I couldn't find one)

Watch this... 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Step 0

fly to Prague 

step 1

rent car to ukraine

step 2

Find office space that is not been bombed

step 3 

setup server and internet

step 4 

get to out of country without kidnapping or running into Russian army who are not Russian army but really are Russian army

or just pay for a fucking vpn.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Watch this... 

Just to be sure this is not possible on mac right?

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Step 0

fly to Prague 

step 1

rent car to ukraine

step 2

Find office space that is not been bombed

step 3 

setup server and internet

step 4 

get to out of country without kidnapping or running into Russian army who are not Russian army but really are Russian army

or just pay for a fucking vpn.

I don't trust these companies

you'd still have to rent some sort of server out there, at which point the benefit over a VPN provider that knows what they're doing already becomes questionable, and then the setup starts...

My point is you need a computer in another location. For privacy you need the location not under your country's laws and outside the five eyes. You need a connection that is used by many other people to hide your traffic

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, qwertywarrior said:

ur own vpn network at home or on a vps ?

Just now, Walt said:

well.. do you trust any server hosting company? if not, you're SoL, if you do you're shallow ;)

Just now, Walt said:

Just to be sure this is not possible on mac right?

As I have very little knowledge of Mac OS I'm unavailable to give a correct answer.   

زندگی از چراغ

Just now, Walt said:

so.. you want to VPN into your home network when you're out on the go?

Just now, Walt said:

You are able to. But anyways. Windows is (pretty) crap for VPN. Not that many enterprise software things and it doesn't mesh well with *UX.

Get yourself some of that free linux, and go to the OpenVPN website and look up their tutorial there.

Pretty sure they have a thing for mac as well.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

If you just want to hide your web surfing from advertisers try using tails in a virtual machine

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 minutes ago, Walt said:

Hi everyone,

I don't know much about VPN networks but only that it makes you use your internet my secure and safe. Is it possible to make your own VPN network and if yes how? (I don't want to use any other sites/companies because I don't trust them xD)

Thanks!

TunnelBear! TunnelBear ! TunnelBear ! Bear ! Bear ! Bear ! jk

It is possible on Windows : http://www.wikihow.com/Configure-a-VPN

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

If you just want to hide your web surfing from advertisers try using tails in a virtual machine

tor (+tails) seems like extreme overkill if you just want to hide your surfing from advertisers...

If you really want to play with VPNs, setting up a pfSense router would probably be a good way to get started; that will give you several VPN options (IPsec, L2TP, OpenVPN, or PPTP) in a well-documented, well-supported open-source environment.

1 minute ago, WWicket said:

tor (+tails) seems like extreme overkill if you just want to hide your surfing from advertisers...

Sure you can go incognito on all modern browsers and do things like noscript and Adblock. it is free and IMO preferable to a free vpn for just web browsing because it puts you on different locations around the globe. I do think USA gov is able to spy on it considering the world wide Interpol shakedown they did not too long ago. In nz they caught so many people buying drugs they had to send letters asking people not to buy drugs off the internet instead of arresting them 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Sure you can go incognito on all modern browsers and do things like noscript and Adblock. it is free and IMO preferable to a free vpn for just web browsing because it puts you on different locations around the globe. I do think USA gov is able to spy on it considering the world wide Interpol shakedown they did not too long ago. In nz they caught so many people buying drugs they had to send letters asking people not to buy drugs off the internet instead of arresting them 

Tor (and every other free layered VPN I've ever seen) is unbearably slow for regular browsing. Things like noscript (which you have to use if you want Tor/Tails to be effective) make most websites awkward or entirely unusable. It is questionable whether using it will actually stop the US gov from spying on you, and it could potentially draw the attention of your ISP and/or gov. And hiding illicit drug transactions from the government isn't the same as hiding your surfing from advertisers.

8 hours ago, WWicket said:

Tor (and every other free layered VPN I've ever seen) is unbearably slow for regular browsing. Things like noscript (which you have to use if you want Tor/Tails to be effective) make most websites awkward or entirely unusable. It is questionable whether using it will actually stop the US gov from spying on you, and it could potentially draw the attention of your ISP and/or gov. And hiding illicit drug transactions from the government isn't the same as hiding your surfing from advertisers.

I use to think like that but the Math says more people use Tor the better it is at anon. I don't find it slow. I can play YouTube through it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

17 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I use to think like that but the Math says more people use Tor the better it is at anon. I don't find it slow. I can play YouTube through it

Either it has improved or you are getting much luckier with your relays than I ever did. A 5 minute youtube video would've taken 15+ minutes to buffer, last time I tried.

4 hours ago, WWicket said:

Either it has improved or you are getting much luckier with your relays than I ever did. A 5 minute youtube video would've taken 15+ minutes to buffer, last time I tried.

Try it again. Maybe there are less people using it now after the word went out about how the authorities have been catching people. You need at least 2gb ram on your vm

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 6/13/2017 at 7:48 AM, Walt said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

You're clearly not educated on this.

No matter where your VPN is, a third party will always have access to your data. Some just make it harder for people to farm your data.

Being on a VPN doesn't just automatically make you secure, and can decrease security in multiple instances. All a VPN is, is just a tunnel from one place to another. Your data will always have to be decrypted somewhere.