fluid losing color

Go to solution Solved by GirlFromYonder,
Just now, Vanguardas said:

It's light piss colored fluid now. Works fine, but thanks for the insight :D

It used to be blood red, now it looks like very light yellowish, looks like piss. Can see it through the reservoir. It's only 1 month old. Just wanted to know if it  can last til december when I can buy a copper rad and block without risk of leaks due to corrosion.

It will work just we careful of any sudden temperature spikes.

So I assume that the fluid coloring is building up in my aluminum radiator. It should be safe to use right? Won't corrode enough of the rad to cause a leak? I'll probably  buy a copper rad and cpu block on christmas. It should last til then? Built the loop last month. It's a busted AIO, i just added a pump and reused the block and radiator. Anyone tried/experienced this before?

1 hour ago, Vanguardas said:

So I assume that the fluid coloring is building up in my aluminum radiator. It should be safe to use right? Won't corrode enough of the rad to cause a leak? I'll probably  buy a copper rad and cpu block on christmas. It should last til then? Built the loop last month. It's a busted AIO, i just added a pump and reused the block and radiator. Anyone tried/experienced this before?

Well it will choke the rad and stop ur water flow or HEAVILY restrict it.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Are you assuming it is losing colour due to the clear tubing in your loop fading going cloudy and faded? or have you poured out the fluid and noticed it's substantially different to the original?

If it's just observation through the clear tubing it will be the tubing fading, that just happens when you have dyes in your loop - especially Pastel fluid. I drained my system last night and the tubing has gone pretty cloudy but the fluid is still bight red - bare in mind the system was build fresh only 6 months ago.

Let us know how you have observed the change in colour and the answer will then be clear - excuse the pun.

2 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Well it will choke the rad and stop ur water flow or HEAVILY restrict it.

37 minutes ago, Aloe Vera said:

Are you assuming it is losing colour due to the clear tubing in your loop fading going cloudy and faded? or have you poured out the fluid and noticed it's substantially different to the original?

If it's just observation through the clear tubing it will be the tubing fading, that just happens when you have dyes in your loop - especially Pastel fluid. I drained my system last night and the tubing has gone pretty cloudy but the fluid is still bight red - bare in mind the system was build fresh only 6 months ago.

Let us know how you have observed the change in colour and the answer will then be clear - excuse the pun.

It used to be blood red, now it looks like very light yellowish, looks like piss. Can see it through the reservoir. It's only 1 month old. Just wanted to know if it  can last til december when I can buy a copper rad and block without risk of leaks due to corrosion.

Just now, Vanguardas said:

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

Thanks man. Just needed reassurace. I have rivatuner opened everytime i play a game, so i can monitor tempts. :D

Just out of curiosity, what product did you use for the fluid?

That sort of reaction in such a short time frame is unusual.

9 minutes ago, Aloe Vera said:

Just out of curiosity, what product did you use for the fluid?

That sort of reaction in such a short time frame is unusual.

FTW Industries (you cna check them on facebook) it says propylene glycol based and people here have good feedback about it. i suspect it's just cause i'm using an aluminum rad from an AIO, but i'm not quite sure

2 minutes ago, Vanguardas said:

FTW Industries (you cna check them on facebook) it says propylene glycol based and people here have good feedback about it. i suspect it's just cause i'm using an aluminum rad from an AIO, but i'm not quite sure

I wouldn't have though it would be a reaction to the Aluminium Radiator. It could be a reaction to remnants of the AIOs previous coolant. Mixing coolants can have that sort of impact.

I doubt it will do anything to your system, just because the colour has faded doesn't mean it's stuck somewhere, it's just the coloured additives have broken down.

But of course you would be wise to follow DeezNoNos advise. Constant monitoring as always good practice.

1 minute ago, Aloe Vera said:

I wouldn't have though it would be a reaction to the Aluminium Radiator. It could be a reaction to remnants of the AIOs previous coolant. Mixing coolants can have that sort of impact.

I doubt it will do anything to your system, just because the colour has faded doesn't mean it's stuck somewhere, it's just the coloured additives have broken down.

But of course you would be wise to follow DeezNoNos advise. Constant monitoring as always good practice.

Thanks man! I washed it with water, but I do think that's a likely possibility. It's hard to completely clean an AIO radiator, esp since I can't remove the fittings which are 1/4'' in diameter. I attached a 1/4'' tube and pumped water across it for a few mins.

2 minutes ago, Vanguardas said:

Thanks man! I washed it with water, but I do think that's a likely possibility. It's hard to completely clean an AIO radiator, esp since I can't remove the fittings which are 1/4'' in diameter. I attached a 1/4'' tube and pumped water across it for a few mins.

That's probably the problem, AIO coolants are typically designed to outlast the rest of the components (e.g. the pump) so they can contain less typical chemicals (compared to our typical coolants) to preserve their life spans.

We use coolants that are designed to be changed every 6 - 12 months, so you can imagine AIO coolants have more preservatives to prevent failure.

At least we've learnt from this, admittedly at your expense unfortunately, but we know now.

Hope it all turns out well, best of luck!

1 minute ago, Aloe Vera said:

That's probably the problem, AIO coolants are typically designed to outlast the rest of the components (e.g. the pump) so they can contain less typical chemicals (compared to our typical coolants) to preserve their life spans.

We use coolants that are designed to be changed every 6 - 12 months, so you can imagine AIO coolants have more preservatives to prevent failure.

At least we've learnt from this, admittedly at your expense unfortunately, but we know now.

Hope it all turns out well, best of luck!

It was a fun project. I enjoy PC hardware as much as I enjoy PC gaming, so yeah. Cheers.