Custom loop - stained tubing, fluff-like residue and greasy coating inside res

Some months ago, I was on this forum trying to figure out what was making my res cloudy and everything a bit crap. I thought I solved it but nope. Nope nope nope. 

Whilst previously there was just some greeny-brown residue, now, we have fluff. No joke - I pulled out green/grey fluff out of the microchannels on the CPU block. GPU block yet to be opened but having a look through the plexi, I can't see the green fibres - although this was only added into the loop at the end of April.  The same fluff is present around the CPU block seal and the brown colour that I managed to wipe away from the base of the res is remarkably similar to the 'oil' EKWB use on the rubber seals (according to their rep on Reddit). 

However, looking at the tubing now, its slightly cloudy. No way near opaque, but its noticeably not as clear as the bits that fit around the barb and have no fluid contact. Trying to remove the residue inside of the tube with some cloth and a screwdriver results in nothing - it seems like the tube itself has lost its crystal clarity. Previously, I used Mayhems Blitz (Parts 1 and 2 - according to instructions) to clean the loop out throughly. Rads were acid treated, all fittings cleaned with good old isopropyl alcohol. EK DuraClear tubing used and I thought that was that.

I've stuck some pictures on this post -

-the white cloth has the stuff I wiped from the bottom of the res

-the tiny bit of 'fluff' 

-tubing comparison 

Loop has 1x CPU block, 1x GPU block, 1x360mm PE, 1x240mm PE, Pump/Res Combo (D5) - using Mayhems X1 fluid. 

Thankfully, I won't need my PC for a bit I don't think so I can spend some time figuring this out. Any one of you guys have any idea on this one? 

IMG_8721.JPG

IMG_8723.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

IMG_8735 copy.jpg

Looks like algae. What concentration did you use the Mayhem's at (premixed or concentrate)? Did you add water- any non-distilled? Was that your only biocide? 

PS: Surely I'm not the only one that read the title as "Fluffy green residue ... inside poop" on first glance.

9 minutes ago, WWicket said:

Looks like algae. What concentration did you use the Mayhem's at? Was that your only biocide? You used distilled water (+ the Mayhem's)?

PS: Surely I'm not the only one that read the title as "Fluffy green residue ... inside poop" on first glance.

It's the premix coolant stuff - X1 clear, includes biocide. 

I also noticed the typo in the title just now too; its been a long day! 

How often do you flush the system/ how long was the coolant in there? Mayhem recommends flushing the system and replacing fluid every 9 months, I think.

Edit: Just read that you added the GPU block in April. Assume you did a full flush then. So nvm.

Edited by WWicket

Just now, WWicket said:

how long was the coolant in there?

Added it in early April - after the whole loop was flushed using their Blitz kit. Noticed something wasn't quite right so pulled it apart to see whats going on. 

why didnt you mix your own coolant 50/50 Ethylenglycol/distilled water? thats what the AIOs use

53 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

why didnt you mix your own coolant 50/50 Ethylenglycol/distilled water? thats what the AIOs use

Had to order something else to bump the order price up. Mayhems was the thing they sold so meh

• 2 years later...

Did you find a solution to this OP? I've recently encountered the exact same white clouding of my EK Duraclear. I ran a Mayhems Blitz pt 2 and the tubes looked good while that was running but as soon as I added Mayhems Biocide and Inhibitor+ droppers the tubes clouded almost immediately. 🤨 Did you rinse the Blitz 2 thoroughly and did you rinse the new EK Duraclear tubing before adding the X1? EK say the tubing should be first rinsed with distilled water... 

My tubes always get cloudy. Cleaned each loop and even got new parts. 
Used to add stuff to distilled water and it happened more often. Went back to using premixed stuff. Must be some residual left In a rad or something. Always notice it when my Gpu temps go up. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz