Any HDDs I find have a ton of complaints about them - is it really that bad?

So I've been looking around for an HDD or two of 2-3 TB capacity. Just regular 3.5 ones, for local storage of media.

Amazon should most of them as having 4+ stars - but there are a lot of complaints on every single one I've looked at.

Can anyone show me a success story of a model or line of HDDs I can get and not have crippling doubts about? 

Important to note that I would gladly return if it was broken or defective - but I'll be receiving it via a reshipping service so i'll get it ~1-2 weeks after it effectively arrives - and returning it from here will cost me 30-40% of the original cost of the product :( 

That's why I'd like not to risk.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

WD red?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, FIXXX said:

So I've been looking around for an HDD or two of 2-3 TB capacity. Just regular 3.5 ones, for local storage of media.

Amazon should most of them as having 4+ stars - but there are a lot of complaints on every single one I've looked at.

Can anyone show me a success story of a model or line of HDDs I can get and not have crippling doubts about? 

Important to note that I would gladly return if it was broken or defective - but I'll be receiving it via a reshipping service so i'll get it ~1-2 weeks after it effectively arrives - and returning it from here will cost me 30-40% of the original cost of the product :( 

Stats on various models of HDD's: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/
Collected by a vary MAJOR player in the server world

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

People are more likely to give negative reviews than positive which is why it's important for everyone to submit honest reviews. 

What's your use case?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The loudest voices are the negative ones. 

I prefer Seagate and Western Digital when it comes to hard drives but thats just my opinion.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Just now, MrKickkiller said:

Stats on various models of HDD's: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/

They don't use standard server disks, not valid as an authoritative source. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

WD Blues have served me well. I have two old ones in my NAS that are still running great, even at about 10 years old. My newest drive is a 3TB Seagate Barracuda that is in my other server. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They don't use standard server disks, not valid as an authoritative source. 

How does 'not using server disks' not count as a non-authoritive source?

These guys are running LOTS of hard drives in a hot, shaky production environment and are collecting stats on their failure rates?
You'd rather hear/ read all the negative feedback users leave on a store page? This way you get the good and the bad. You know that X drives failed in a period of Y days.

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

These guys are running LOTS of hard drives in a hot, shaky production environment and are collecting stats on their failure rates?
You'd rather hear/ read all the negative feedback users leave on a store page? This way you get the good and the bad. You know that X drives failed in a period of Y days.

I've heard bad things about them as a source for information about drives. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I've heard bad things about them as a source for information about drives. 

Well I rather see numbers with a slight bias, than having to read upset feedback from average Joe's that just lost all their important backups / data.

Choosing drives that aren't meant for servers environments is not proper practice for a server enterprise. They used WD Blues and Blacks along with some Greens (all disks that were not designed for server use (vibration, heat) and taking the failure rate as appropriate. These are not indicative of true usage as they aren't buying themselves (they ran a campaign quite a few times with bonuses for people (like you and I) to send them drives). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

because you're using them outside of spec. shooting 2000 cars into space and then saying  "this car brand is better since more cars survived!" is a similar logic. (but a hyperbole to describe the point im making)

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Choosing drives that aren't meant for servers environments is not proper practice for a server enterprise. They used WD Blues and Blacks along with some Greens (all disks that were not designed for server use (vibration, heat) and taking the failure rate as appropriate. These are not indicative of true usage as they aren't buying themselves (they ran a campaign quite a few times with bonuses for people (like you and I) to send them drives). 

So..

OP is looking for (probably) a consumer hard drive.

And you're distrusting a company that basically tortures consumer hard drives?

I get that those numbers might be slightly biased, but they still highlight a faulty drive model better than just reading all the angry comments on the Amazon pages? Especially since those come from people that backed up their data to that drive and probably just lost it all due to poor handling or just general failure. As said before in this thread. A very loud negative minority.

11 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

Backblaze is a useless potato that nobody should listen to.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I remember reading the backblaze testing sheet a few years back and didn't realize they ran them afterward. 

Looks like HGST appear to be quite solid, with a good pool and low failure rates overall.

Btw, not basing on only backblaze, but this HGST point is in the air for several years, back when 3 TB was max.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

2 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

Looks like HGST appear to be quite solid, with a good pool and low failure rates overall.

And run SUPER loud, as well. 

2 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

I remember reading the backblaze testing sheet a few years back and didn't realize they ran them afterward. 

Btw, not basing on only backblaze, but this HGST point is in the air for several years, back when 3 TB was max.

If you're looking for a 3TB HDD for file storage and videos, I'd recommend the WD Blue, Hitachi Deskstar, or WD Black for single drives. If you want to do RAID, the Seagate NAS or WD Red would be the go-to drives. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

If you're looking for a 3TB HDD for file storage and videos, I'd recommend the WD Blue, Hitachi Deskstar, or WD Black for single drives. If you want to do RAID, the Seagate NAS or WD Red would be the go-to drives. 

Yup, just regular storage.

I'd like to stop deleting stuff I watched just because space is at a premium :( especially since high capacity HDDs aren't REALLY that expensive.

4 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

Yeah, about that. There is no such thing as no risk. There are way too many stats but the truth is only one.

Any hard disk can break at any point in time. And being model for hundreds of dollars or super cheap one is of no importance.

The way to choose nowadays is by liking it. Has it got the necessary volume, speed and interface - then buy it.

About the pricey return - this is why I don`t buy pc parts online.

But I guess this is not the best way for everyone. In this case go with WD, after many years of reading hundreds of forums and blogs most of the people have luck with them.

In my case I use SG (even though I knew it was bad choice, but it was cheaper at the time), my first one failed in just 7 days, so I got my replacement and it`s still alive after 3 years, although I`m using it for torrents nonstop (over 100TB traffic for now).

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

Seagate has one of the best warranties in the business if that means anything, 5 years AFAIK, but I've ran both WD drives and Seagate drives for almost a decade and they havent failed yet

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

9 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

So..

OP is looking for (probably) a consumer hard drive.

And you're distrusting a company that basically tortures consumer hard drives?

Yes, because they're buying random drives and setting them wherever they please. They purchase random drives from whichever vendor they can find that has inexpensive disks. They've lost credibility right there. 

9 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

I get that those numbers might be slightly biased, but they still highlight a faulty drive model better than just reading all the angry comments on the Amazon pages? Especially since those come from people that backed up their data to that drive and probably just lost it all due to poor handling or just general failure. As said before in this thread. A very loud negative minority.

That's why you don't go for drives that don't have a statistically high number of reviews. Don't go for the drives that have 100 reviews. Don't rely on the reviews on one website. Get your data from multiple sources before making a purchasing decision. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

Seagate

Yep, they were the best choice back in the time. Up until the 500GBs model and above. I still have two 80GB working, after 12, or is it 13 years, hmm. I have to check.

Nowadays is WD or HGST  for less risk.

And backup everything of importance. At least twice.

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

3 minutes ago, Belgarionbg said:

About the pricey return - this is why I don`t buy pc parts online.

For example a Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB drive here is worth 2393 of our local currency, and that's very very cheap as compared to other 3TB models.

On amazon, converted to our currency - the price is 1451. That strikes me as very high price difference. Especially since trying to return something here is as if you're personally stealing their jewelry and selling it for drugs. It's tough.

Just now, Belgarionbg said:

Yep, they were the best choice back in the time. Up until the 500GBs model and above. I still have two 80GB working, after 12, or is it 13 years, hmm. I have to check.

Nowadays is WD or HGST  for less risk.

And backup everything of importance. At least twice.

Ive had great luck with the two FireCuda 2TB drives I've run in Raid 0 (dont ask why) 

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

Rarely see any drives fail in a 'consumer-use' type setting, except with refurb. drives... Seagate, WD, Hitachi... doesn't matter.