Linus was in the "news" this morning

Mr Ben

BGR took notice of Linus's rant about the i9 and X299 chipset.  "For such a big player to break from the script and annoy the biggest processor company on earth isn’t a common occurrence, so more than ever it’s worth taking note."  The author makes an interesting point that Linus wasn't afraid to tell it like it is (though really, when has he ever?).

http://bgr.com/2017/06/05/intel-core-i9-preview-linus-tech-tips-not-happy/

4 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

BGR took notice of Linus's rant about the i9 and X299 chipset.  "For such a big player to break from the script and annoy the biggest processor company on earth isn’t a common occurrence, so more than ever it’s worth taking note."  The author makes an interesting point that Linus wasn't afraid to tell it like it is (though really, when has he ever?).

http://bgr.com/2017/06/05/intel-core-i9-preview-linus-tech-tips-not-happy/

Now that is how to be mentioned on the wan show.

Okay but what did Linus really say? Nothing new, same old same old about how Intel isn't doing anything for enthusiasts, Intel isn't doing enough, Intel has a branding problem; etc etc

And the knee jerking that followed out of this forum. Intel is doomed. Intel doesn't know what they are doing. Intel can't compete. Intel will die off. Intel should be afraid. Jesus, it was like stepping into the AMD subreddit. 

I don't stock market and company health well, but I think Intel is fine. I think AMD has a lot to do to catch up in being a valid and stable company. I think Intels issues are valid, but not worth an overdramatic walk and talk. I think the Internet places importance to things that really, really don't mean anything but in their ignorance and arrogance...sigh. 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

Intel just slacked off they will fix this platform somehow.

Intel fangirls will still buy intel, they wont jump on threadripper, unless they are serious people who need to work and need best value/$, which threadripper might deliver before i9.

Intel never gave a shit about gamers or enthusiasts or anything, they just ripped us off for many years making billions and now they got caught off guard i would assume, mainly by threadripper, i dont think intel expected that AMD will slap dual-quad 8-core ryzen chips on the same package to make new killer deal processor, hats off to amd, i hope the performance is ok, i would expect 2-4 ryzen dies cpus to have better perf than dual socket mobo's, due to tighter integration on a single package.

I don't stock market and company health well, but I think Intel is fine. I think AMD has a lot to do to catch up in being a valid and stable company. I think Intels issues are valid, but not worth an overdramatic walk and talk. I think the Internet places importance to things that really, really don't mean anything but in their ignorance and arrogance...sigh. 

Oh I agree, I don't think Intel really has anything to worry about.  I think Linus was just disappointed at how lazy of a response this was from Intel.  Though you make a good point there right at the end about the internet (shall we say, the general populace?) placing importance in meaninglessness, and I think Intel knows this, which is probably exactly what the whole i9 etc launch was about.  Because there would be a lot of people saying things like "Threadripper?! Damn Intel, and you just going to take that??" so they hastily launch a lazy retort.  I will fully admit I'm sadly misinformed about...  well nearly everything, but this is just what the whole thing seems like to me at this point.

I saw this, didn't think it was all that news worthy.

Still, good on you @LinusTech for sticking to your "If your product is sh*t, I'm going to call it sh*t" policy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

38 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Still, good on you @LinusTech for sticking to your "If your product is sh*t, I'm going to call it sh*t" policy.

Yes, yes I definitely appreciate this about him.

41 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Sure, just don't expect said company to generously supply you with free shit in the future.

If I were Intel I'd make sure that all these Youtubers who bitch have their review samples "stuck in the mail" for an extra day or two while their competition gets their reviews out first.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Sure, just don't expect said company to generously supply you with free shit in the future.

If I were Intel I'd make sure that all these Youtubers who bitch have their review samples "stuck in the mail" for an extra day or two while their competition gets their reviews out first.

That's not how review samples work for big launches. Usually reviewers get the product weeks in advance so that the discrepancies in shipping time don't lead to some review sites getting an unfair advantage.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

They know that his coverage of them, whether it's positive or not, is better than no coverage at all. If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't give review samples to anyone.

He still gets stuff from every company in this video, to my knowledge.

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

That's not how review samples work for big launches. Usually reviewers get the product weeks in advance so that the discrepancies in shipping time don't lead to some review sites getting an unfair advantage.

Agreed.

49 minutes ago, ResidentRad said:

Okay but what did Linus really say? Nothing new, same old same old about how Intel isn't doing anything for enthusiasts, Intel isn't doing enough, Intel has a branding problem; etc etc

And the knee jerking that followed out of this forum. Intel is doomed. Intel doesn't know what they are doing. Intel can't compete. Intel will die off. Intel should be afraid. Jesus, it was like stepping into the AMD subreddit. 

Actually the opposite I would say. Okay, sideways opposite?

What I got from it, and from many other tech bloggers is this:

Intel just reacted since they didn't have something ready, AMD comes out with a platform that has caught Intel unprepared.
Not having a go at you, but “knee jerking” I find is your response. I see it as Intel’s “knee jerking” reaction.

Reasons, as properly explained in video:

·         PCIe lanes, Stuck in a few generations old now for Intel platforms, not to mention that the very higher up will have more than 40 lanes…

·         Want to use extra features, that were previously in the chipset, i.e.  Raid, must buy extra equipment, like going retro back to the 1980’s / 1990’s where you needed a dongle to use programs!

·         Use ONLY their OWN SSD!

Need I go on?

Am I an AMD Fan boy? No, I have both at home, an Intel and an AMD. One for work and the other for gaming. Neither are new either.

BUT, it is widely perceived, anywhere you read, that it was a knee jerk reaction to AMD. Normally, when Intel announced a product, it was available shortly after, so why the delay now?

Have multi-core processors been available previously? Sure, Xeon line exists for a reason, but on what platform is the question.

Okay, end of Rant 9_9

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

They know that his coverage of them, whether it's positive or not, is better than no coverage at all. If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't give review samples to anyone.

Agreed.

Not to mention the NDA's too, so all websites reveal on a said date of product launch ;)

Anyone who thinks Intel is in danger is foolishly mistaken.

What do you think they have likely been doing for the last, how many years?, that AMD have been sitting in the corner eating glue (and in my opinion are still doing so)? I'm willing to bet they've been doing R&D and developing stuff, and then just sitting on it because "why release it now when we're already on top?"

Yes what they're doing right now is a bit odd, to say the least, but Considering how quickly this came, I would actually be surprised if they didn't have more stuff coming that has been in development for a good while, and they just aren't ready to put out yet.

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Anyone who thinks Intel is in danger is foolishly mistaken.

Intel has several business units that by themselves make more money than AMD makes with their CPU and GPU businesses combined (hell I think their IOTG business makes more than AMD, how amusing is that?!)

They'll be fine, for certain.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

My take on this is, is that other reviewers have done the exact same thing, gone on about Intel, similar to Linus, and the way that they rushed out their new platform with the upper/ higher core counts being added at the last minute and also for MoBo's having features that won't be able to be accessed without the appropriate CPU's.

Personally, I remember the 775 platform when it came out, yeah that old thing, I got a low cost cpu, and in its end days I got a Q8400 and the mobo is an ASUS P5Q Deluxe. The motherboard features were not locked.

Even on newer mobo’s of Intel, you get most of the things available to you that are NOT CPU bound.

For my work pc, I got an AMD A88x with Raid 5. So, that would mean I would most likely have to pay way more, just to get that functionality enabled! I might as well buy a Raid card instead of pay Intel for the “Privilege”.

They are trying now to become more like “Apple”, i.e. a “Closed Wall”. AMD seems to be like “Android” and Intel going the path of “Apple” for a closed system.

No thanks Intel.

13 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Intel has several business units that by themselves make more money than AMD makes with their CPU and GPU businesses combined (hell I think their IOTG business makes more than AMD, how amusing is that?!)

They'll be fine, for certain.

Lol, hehe. I didn't see anyone saying elsewise 9_9
It is their reaction that "everyone" is annoyed with.

I can see a huge similarity between the mobile phone wars and also how it was more than a decade ago... when there was competition. Now lets see if Intel will go back to their old selfs and undermine AMD and threaten their partners etc. That is one of the major reasons AMD lost traction due to Intels market penetration and using their weight to bully manufacturers around.

37 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

He still gets stuff from every company in this video, to my knowledge.

Agreed.

Oh, and the follow-up to that video ;)

3 hours ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

This makes me happy, not sure why it just makes me happy.

Who knows? Maybe Linus will have more TV appearances the coming months.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, ResidentRad said:

Nah I agree, but it's obvious Intel is afraid of what Threadripper might do to their bottom line so this was clearly a reactionary move on their part. But Intel doing this reactionary crap isn't going to hurt them but I hope it makes them realize they need to stop being incremental af.

That was the hope for Ryzen, which Intel knew incrementally they would beat out Ryzen eventually but threadripper prevents them from being incremental like normal.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 hours ago, yian88 said:

Intel just slacked off they will fix this platform somehow.

Intel fangirls will still buy intel, they wont jump on threadripper, unless they are serious people who need to work and need best value/$, which threadripper might deliver before i9.

Intel never gave a shit about gamers or enthusiasts or anything, they just ripped us off for many years making billions and now they got caught off guard i would assume, mainly by threadripper, i dont think intel expected that AMD will slap dual-quad 8-core ryzen chips on the same package to make new killer deal processor, hats off to amd, i hope the performance is ok, i would expect 2-4 ryzen dies cpus to have better perf than dual socket mobo's, due to tighter integration on a single package.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Nah I agree, but it's obvious Intel is afraid of what Threadripper might do to their bottom line so this was clearly a reactionary move on their part. But Intel doing this reactionary crap isn't going to hurt them but I hope it makes them realize they need to stop being incremental af.

That was the hope for Ryzen, which Intel knew incrementally they would beat out Ryzen eventually but threadripper prevents them from being incremental like normal.

If you were running a business you'd be doing the bare minimum required to maximize profits too.  Companies that sell shit at cost aren't in business for very long, and sure as hell won't have the capital to support sustained growth and R&D required.  It's actually a concern for AMD right now that they won't have enough money for Zen+ because of their shit profit margins (32% vs. Intel's 61%) and continuing to lose money every quarter.

16 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

AMD needs all the meme points they can generate from friendly content creators; their share prices and market stance are shit and their margins are abysmal. 

Consumers love gettig things for cheap but how long can AMD sustain giving up dozens of percentage in margin just to get some goodwill? That margin is what let's them invest back in RD. 

People love to shitpost about how Intel doesn't do anything. Intel spends in RD what AMD will never make as a company. Billions upon billions, not including the billions they spend on bringing modern fabs online. 

I mean, the "lazy" attitude is disgusting. Intel spent their way to realize that Moore was full of shit, that silicon has reached its end, and efficiency is the only thing they can get actual increases out of until the next fancy process using graphene shows up. Intel hasn't been sitting pretty, they've been stonewalled by physics. 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

3 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Uhh, no. No one gets weeks to cover major product launches like new CPUs or GPUs, at least not if they care about hitting NDA. All the major players in both markets give reviewers a few days, maybe a week max, to get shit done and ready. There is a reason a lot of sites have to do follow up reviews or articles on different things they simply didn't have enough time to get to in order to meet NDA. If a reviewer goes outside of the manufacturer and gets the product from another source they might have more time to play with it, but they're also not bound by any NDA agreement so they can release their reviews and articles before anyone else so they probably don't really get that much more time to play with the hardware.