rumor has it both nVidia and AMD arel preparing dedicated crypto currency mining cards

source: https://videocardz.com/70162/amd-and-nvidia-preparing-graphics-cards-for-cryptocurrency-mining

it is known that the crypto currency mining craze has hit both nVidia and AMD quite hard with the launch of the new generation

chinese coin mining farms have bought video cards in bulk just to use them in coin mining while gamers were desperate to find cards in stores

according to VideoCardz, both nVidia and AMD are preparing special Pascal and Polaris cards dedicated solely to compute tasks

NVIDIA is said to launch GeForce GTX 1060 with GP106-100 GPU, a custom edition for mining. This card would lack display connectors and most likely not support any gaming at all. According to our sources, these cards, unlike normal editions, would only have 90 days warranty. The good news is that these cards will be cheaper than same models for gamers. These cards will be sold by add-in-board partners.

AMD is also planning Polaris based model for mining, except the details are yet unknown.

90d warranty I think it's not attainable in certain markets where products must have a minimum of 1y warranty - depends on the country

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Miners will still buy the gaming version for resale value. If the mining edition has no connectors it has less potential uses.

no one in their right mind buys cards that were used for mining

Just now, zMeul said:

no one in their right mind buys cards that were used for mining

You don't get it...

If I buy the gaming card and mine on it I can re sell it, yeah you wouldn't knowingly buy a card used for mining but good luck telling what I used it for when I just say "games and im upgrading to the next generation".

If I buy the mining card I have almost no warranty, I can't really resell it at all other than to another miner and I can't game on it if I decide I want to.

To be worth it these cards need to be heavily discounted.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

You don't get it...

oh yeah I get it and there are simple ways to see if the card has been used for mining 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

oh yeah I get it and there are simple ways to see if the card has been used for mining 

Like?

EDIT: Googled for a sanity check:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2191202/gpu-bitcoin-mining.html

"There'd be no way to tell if it's been used for mining without the person who owns it saying so. There's no digital footprint on the video card that shows how hard it was worked over time or anything like that. Not something anyone but the manufacturer would have access to anyway. It's just like buying anything else used, you're not sure what you're getting until you use it. It would be like asking a person selling a car to you if they've ever drag raced it...You either get an honest answer or you don't, and it's up to you to judge whether you believe it or not."

Either way my point still stands the gaming cards have far better resale value, warranty and can play games. If this rumour is true which I doubt then these cards will need to be 30-50% cheaper or they won't sell.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

-

sure mate, whatever you say xD

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Like?

dont buy second hand from china

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Like how? curious.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just in time for that bitcoin H110 board

AsRock-Bitcoin-motherboard.jpg

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

are you peeps for real!?

• fan(s) will rattle
  • the back of the PCB under the GPU will be slightly charred
  • etc

And you can tell all these before buying? 

heavy static load vs. heat cycle - you decide what kills electronics faster. 

it is only a matter of time until nvidia and amd do market to miners - the demand on the crypto networks is HUGE! Etherium network has 37TH/s - equivalent to roughly 1.5million rx570's running all at once.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are you peeps for real!?

• fan(s) will rattle
  • etc

- Not necessarily (don't think it would happen and even at all tbh and even if it did that is mechanical age not necessarily mining related)

- Only if it was in a house fire

- etc (I can't think of anymore points but 3 is better than 2)

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are you peeps for real!?

• fan(s) will rattle
  • etc

Why would the fan rattle? I never had a GPU do that even after mining for a year.

it being charred? you can't char something at 90c lol

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are you peeps for real!?

• fan(s) will rattle
  • etc

I hate it when my mining cards catch fire and char up... 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I've used my dual 290X's for mining but good luck being able to tell, they have full cover EK water blocks and back plates ;).

Edit:

Oh and my system is on 24/7/365.

intel-knights-landing-xeon-phi-100630231

?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Good board but not for Bitcoin, ASIC's have killed that for gpu miners. Zcash or Etherum is where its at :P 

zMeul be mining zCash I guess :D

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

intel-knights-landing-xeon-phi-100630231

?

It's so blueeeeeeeeeee! @deXxterlab97 doesn't it look amazing?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402