Speaker Making High Frequency Sound

I have some fairly old speakers(2) from Logitech. They are powered by a single USB and 3.5 headphone jack cable from my motherboard. Every time I launch a demanding application such as Watch_Dogs 2 or even Minecraft, the speakers begin to make a high-frequency noise. The noise disappears when I close the application. The pitch and loudness changes when I move my mouse. While the computer is idling or being used for nothing demanding, the speakers have an audible hum/squeal. 

Any suggestions as to why this might happen would be much appreciated. Please note, this didn't happen when I used these speakers with a laptop

They're picking up noise, probably from your graphics card. Either EMI or more likely line interference in the power delivery on your motherboard. You might try enabling a FPS limiter and/or v-sync jus to see if that helps with the issue.

It's probably the speakers.

But, if this doesn't happen when plugged into another another 3.5 mm jack on another device, then it's probably your motherboard's build in audio circuity. 

Myanimelist | F@H stats |

Spoiler

| CPU: I7-4790k OC'D to 4.5Ghz | GPU: GTX 970 | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2 x 8 GBS (stock 2133Mhz) OC'd | Case : NZXT Phantom 410 | Displays: Asus VG248QE 24" & VE228TR 21.5" | PSU: Corsair CP-9020077-UK 650W | CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H55 | Storage: ? Kingston 240 GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB  | Keyboard: Logitech 213 Prodigy | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Headphones: Sennheiser hd380 pro | Mic: MXL 550 | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

12 hours ago, Faster_Speeding said:

It's probably the speakers.

But, if this doesn't happen when plugged into another another 3.5 mm jack on another device, then it's probably your motherboard's build in audio circuity. 

The speakers are absolutely fine until a demanding application is opened?

How do you deduct that the speakers are at fault?

This is way more likely EMI within the PC than the speakers.

After looking up your motherboard (MSI Z77 Mpower listed on your profile), it's very likely at fault. (the motherboard's onboard audio circuity doesn't seem to be isolated from the rest of the motherboard, which can cause what SSL described.

But to eliminate the speaker from the speaker from the issue, you could just try plugging it into another device and attempting to reproduce the same effect.

Buying and using either a usb or pcie soundcard should eliminate the issue. (I'd recommend testing the speaker with other equipment, e.g. phone or other pc, before buying a soundcard and I'd also recommend usinga pcie soundcard)

Myanimelist | F@H stats |

Spoiler

| CPU: I7-4790k OC'D to 4.5Ghz | GPU: GTX 970 | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2 x 8 GBS (stock 2133Mhz) OC'd | Case : NZXT Phantom 410 | Displays: Asus VG248QE 24" & VE228TR 21.5" | PSU: Corsair CP-9020077-UK 650W | CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H55 | Storage: ? Kingston 240 GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB  | Keyboard: Logitech 213 Prodigy | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Headphones: Sennheiser hd380 pro | Mic: MXL 550 | OS: Windows 10 Pro |