Budget In-Desk PC

So I've always really wanted an in-desk pc with a glass top and cool rgb lighting effects (I know, I've succumb to the fad), but every in-desk pc "case" is $1000+ O.o

So here's my idea:

I want to buy this desk. I would then have the local shop cut me boards (which I would then paint black) the exact size of the sides, except ~5" tall instead of the ~3.5" included ones, and use those so there is at least 5 inches between the wooden level and the glass. I could mount the hardware to the wood similar to this video except on the top of the wooden layer. I probably wouldn't use a PCIE riser cable at all since I want to use more than 1 slot. Then, I would have them cut a similar piece for the back, except with holes/cutouts for my I/O, radiators/fans, graphics card, other PCIE cards, etc. Finally, I would have them do similar for the front, either in wood or plexiglass depending on how good it looks, with another cut out for front I/O (if I can find a good standalone) and MAYBE a 5.25" drive.

Obviously I would need to do A LOT of measuring and find out EXACTLY where everything is going to go before I do any cutting/purchasing.

But is the idea feasible? I know it would be a bit of a pain in the A, but I have some free time this summer, and more importantly I can't think of a reason why it WOULDN'T work.

Thanks!!! 9_9

Yes!! Do it, and post pics! And Linus has some videos somewhere about how him and his dad (I think?) made his desk PC. Defo watch it for tips and inspiration!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i3 12100F

Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S

Motherboard: ASRock Z690 ITX/ax

RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz Team Group T-CREATE DDR4

GPU: Intel ARC A770 16GB LE

Storage: 1TB MP34 + 2x 1TB MX500

PSU: EVGA 850W GM

Case & Fans: Fractal Design Node 304 - 2x Noctua NF-A9 + Noctua NF-A15

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 15" M3 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch