Corsair Power Supply HELP ME PLEASE

Bryce2254

So i finally got all my computer parts and put it all togethter, After it was all setup i turned the power supply on and the motherboard and gpu had power, I clicked the power button but it didnt work so i did the screw drier trick and it still didnt turn on, i did the paper clip and green wire trick with 2 fans in my case and right after i turned the psu on i heard a loud pop so i turned it off but i saw 1 fan spin for a little, i turned it back on and the power supply fan spun but my case fans didnt. Bad PSU?? Are my case fans dead now too??

Thanks for help in advance! 

Oh ya and also the PSU has a bunch of white stuff that i think should be there but theres also i think its a capacitator or something its a big block that isnt connected to anything its behind held by the white stuff 

9 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

A picture might help as well to show this 'white stuff'

Uh i cant atm but you can google it

28 minutes ago, Bryce2254 said:

Uh i cant atm but you can google it

The white stuff is just glue.

I do think the PSU is bad potentially. It definitely shouldn't make a loud pop.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

The white stuff is just glue.

I do think the PSU is bad potentially. It definitely shouldn't make a loud pop.

Already filed a ticket :/ sucks i was so excited 

Just now, Bryce2254 said:

Already filed a ticket :/ sucks i was so excited 

Haha, hopefully your PSU replacement doesn't go as bad as mine did...I somehow managed to collect all the bad AX860is...three RMAs....six PSUs later, finally got two that worked. I kept getting ones with faulty temperature probes (the PSU would think it's hotter than it is and shut down randomly / get stuck in a boot loop).

Do note you have two options, the standard RMA, which is sending them the PSU and cables back to them, or letting them place a hold on a credit card where they send you a PSU first, and then you send the old one back (It also saves you the time of having to unwire your PC that you probably spent hours cable managing...).

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Haha, hopefully your PSU replacement doesn't go as bad as mine did...I somehow managed to collect all the bad AX860is...three RMAs....six PSUs later, finally got two that worked. I kept getting ones with faulty temperature probes (the PSU would think it's hotter than it is and shut down randomly / get stuck in a boot loop).

Do note you have two options, the standard RMA, which is sending them the PSU and cables back to them, or letting them place a hold on a credit card where they send you a PSU first, and then you send the old one back (It also saves you the time of having to unwire your PC that you probably spent hours cable managing...).

What does that mean? Hold on a credit card? Do they charge you?

What does that mean? Hold on a credit card? Do they charge you?

They temporarily place a charge on your credit card, but they don't process it. They do that to ensure your credit card has the money (You aren't giving them a bad card / run off with a new PSU). When the old PSU arrives, they will remove the hold.

Yeah, it sucked because I had wired both my and my brother's PCs for the AX860i. I was like...what...I have to unwire it and then rewire the old PSUs back to send a standard RMA...

I just did the advanced RMA and instead of unwiring the PCs, I just plugged the new PSU in and just sent back the old PSU with the cables the new PSU came with.

Oh, this only works if you have a modular PSU (not sure which you have). If it's not, then you'll have to unwire the PC anyway...

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

They temporarily place a charge on your credit card, but they don't process it. They do that to ensure your credit card has the money (You aren't giving them a bad card / run off with a new PSU). When the old PSU arrives, they will remove the hold.

Yeah, it sucked because I had wired both my and my brother's PCs for the AX860i. I was like...what...I have to unwire it and then rewire the old PSUs back to send a standard RMA...

I just did the advanced RMA and instead of unwiring the PCs, I just plugged the new PSU in and just sent back the old PSU with the cables the new PSU came with.

Oh, this only works if you have a modular PSU (not sure which you have). If it's not, then you'll have to unwire the PC anyway...

I have semi modular but like i already un wired it. Meh i hope they refund me for my 2 fans that their 2 psus broke!

1 minute ago, Bryce2254 said:

I have semi modular but like i already un wired it. Meh i hope they refund me for my 2 fans that their 2 psus broke!

They usually will. Corsair is really good with RMA / replacing things that are broken due to the corsair part. Seen people get whole PCs replaced due to a AIO leak.

Ah, that sucks...Yeah, for me, I was wasting hours on having to replug / test / hope the AX860i I had wasn't a dud...because the boot looping / temperature probe issue was very random...sometimes it worked for days on end, and sometimes it only lasted 10 min...not to mention data loss as well (since sometimes it would shut down when I was working).

Have you tried plugging the fans into another PC (At least if you have one) to see if it works?

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

They usually will. Corsair is really good with RMA / replacing things that are broken due to the corsair part. Seen people get whole PCs replaced due to a AIO leak.

Ah, that sucks...Yeah, for me, I was wasting hours on having to replug / test / hope the AX860i I had wasn't a dud...because the boot looping / temperature probe issue was very random...sometimes it worked for days on end, and sometimes it only lasted 10 min...not to mention data loss as well (since sometimes it would shut down when I was working).

Have you tried plugging the fans into another PC (At least if you have one) to see if it works?

No I dont rlly have another one only laptops

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

But ya hopefully 

@Bryce2254, Sorry to hear that man. What Corsair PSU is this? The loud pop sound is definitely not a good sign. It's good to hear that you've contacted our RMA dept as soon that it happened, that way they can evaluate your case right away. Did you tell them about your 2 fans that might have gotten damaged during the paper clip test? We do normally compensate our customers in situations where it's proven (with data to back it up) that our product caused the damage to another hardware in a build.  

I am sure that our RMA dept/customer service will handle your case professionally. If you run into any issues during the process, feel free to contact me. 

On 6/5/2017 at 10:42 AM, Corsair Joseph said:

@Bryce2254, Sorry to hear that man. What Corsair PSU is this? The loud pop sound is definitely not a good sign. It's good to hear that you've contacted our RMA dept as soon that it happened, that way they can evaluate your case right away. Did you tell them about your 2 fans that might have gotten damaged during the paper clip test? We do normally compensate our customers in situations where it's proven (with data to back it up) that our product caused the damage to another hardware in a build.  

I am sure that our RMA dept/customer service will handle your case professionally. If you run into any issues during the process, feel free to contact me. 

Hey thank you so much for your reply but i think i've just figured it out, I plugged in my whole computer and put it all together i didn't know what to do with the fans but then i used the molex cable and plugged that into the cables and i thought that the 4 pin fan connector could plug into my Mobo to control the fans but i think that's why it wasn't starting and i didn't unplug that connector when i did the paper clip test and then i heard the pop, My motherboard does have overvoltage protection but i'm not sure about on the fan connectors or the fans, I think the fans are fried and if my motherboard is fried too would that be covered? I submitted a ticket but still no response after almost 3 business days. Thank you for your response!

On 6/5/2017 at 10:42 AM, Corsair Joseph said:

Also it's CXM 550 or Cx550m semi modular

On 6/4/2017 at 5:03 PM, scottyseng said:

Do you know if a Mobo can be friend if you plug in the 4 pin fan connector onto the 4 pin fan plug on a motherboard

1 minute ago, Bryce2254 said:

Do you know if a Mobo can be friend if you plug in the 4 pin fan connector onto the 4 pin fan plug on a motherboard

Potentially, but the motherboard would've had to been really faulty or been hit by a severe surge / high voltage....I'm doubtful it killed your fans though.

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Potentially, but the motherboard would've had to been really faulty or been hit by a severe surge / high voltage....I'm doubtful it killed your fans though.

I mean the 4 pin connected from a psu i can take a picture if needed you can probably find it on the Corsair site

On 6/4/2017 at 5:03 PM, scottyseng said:

Here's a pic actually the one in the bottom smaller than the other 2

IMG_1957.PNG

5 minutes ago, Bryce2254 said:

I mean the 4 pin connected from a psu i can take a picture if needed you can probably find it on the Corsair site

That's not a 4pin for fans...that's a legacy power connector for floppy drives.

Don't tell me you plugged that into the motherboard fan 4 pin slot...take a picture of the connector on the motherboard so I can verify.

7 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

That's not a 4pin for fans...that's a legacy power connector for floppy drives.

Don't tell me you plugged that into the motherboard fan 4 pin slot...take a picture of the connector on the motherboard so I can verify.

I did it had the label Cha_fan 1 o no :( did i fry my gpu and cpu and mobo 

I did it had the label Cha_fan 1 o no :( did i fry my gpu and cpu and mobo 

Potentially, but ah, does it work if you unplug the floppy disk connector? Or still dead?

Some PSUs may detect a short and refuse to turn on, but I'm pretty sure yours turned on so I'm not 100% sure on what might've gotten damaged. I do think the motherboard is fried, but it's hard to tell without testing each part 1 by 1 with another PC.

5 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Potentially, but ah, does it work if you unplug the floppy disk connector? Or still dead?

Some PSUs may detect a short and refuse to turn on, but I'm pretty sure yours turned on so I'm not 100% sure on what might've gotten damaged. I do think the motherboard is fried, but it's hard to tell without testing each part 1 by 1 with another PC.

it has overvoltage protection will that help my chances i'll try now

5 minutes ago, Bryce2254 said:

it has overvoltage protection will that help my chances i'll try now

The overvoltage protection I believe is for incoming AC voltage from the wall. Not so useful for outgoing DC voltage from the PSU.

Do try though. Hopefully nothing is damaged (aside from the motherboard fan headers...those I think are dead...at least CHA1 should be)

Yeah, looking at the pin outs for the connectors:

PWM:

1: Ground

2: +12V

3: Signal (Fan RPM)

4: PWM (Fan control for 4pin)

Floppy Disk

1: +5V

2: Ground

3: Ground

4: +12V

You probably just caused a short with the +5V to ground / +12V to ground / sent +12V into the PWM controller.

23 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Omg it showed power!!!!!! Should i hook it back up??

Omg it showed power!!!!!! Should i hook it back up??

I would, I hope it's still alive...