My Dad's Laptop WiFi can't access the interwebs

Go to solution Solved by dcb-z,
1 hour ago, Muirj101 said:

If all fails, there are some ok wifi cards on amazon for $10

Can't really install a wifi card into a laptop, you'd need something like a USB dongle for that.

My dad can't connect his laptop to the internet with our home WiFi and I tried to call the telephone company to troubleshoot the problem but it's been 3 long days and they didn't respond. 

So I came here asking for help if you guys know how to resolve this problem. I just want to add that when I looked at the properties of the networks and connections(not sure if that's the exact name) and I noticed that the IPv6 shows No Internet Connection but the IPv4 has Connection.

My dad's laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C850-B830 and has Win7 btw (dunno if that matters)

Your help would be very much appreciated! THANK YOU

Have you tried reinstalling drivers?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

30 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Have you tried reinstalling drivers?

Can I do that without internet? I'm sorry I don't have the knowledge on the WiFi stuff

try to uninstall the WiFi drivers via Device Manager, then reboot. Chances are, Windows's driver will work. If not, you might wanna use another PC or connect it via hardwired Ethernet to download the WiFi drivers via Toshiba support.

1 hour ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

try to uninstall the WiFi drivers via Device Manager, then reboot. Chances are, Windows's driver will work. If not, you might wanna use another PC or connect it via hardwired Ethernet to download the WiFi drivers via Toshiba support.

Will do! Thanks dude you might be the savior of the laptop:) 

1 minute ago, Memorizer said:

Is this the WiFi drivers? (Sorry for the potato photo) 20170531_214208.thumb.jpg.19ab16990dc691a9e6cc12248353853f.jpg

The one that says Realtek Wireless LAN is the one you should un-install. Then reboot, Windows will then install the driver that it has, and hopefully, you can connect to the internet.

2 minutes ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

The one that says Realtek Wireless LAN is the one you should un-install. Then reboot, Windows will then install the driver that it has, and hopefully, you can connect to the internet.

Oh. Derp hahaha

22 minutes ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

Oh no, is this a problem? It's been there for about 10 mins1496239770981-1742384575.thumb.jpg.12f98ee6756e7a407a2ca3ecea8e4562.jpg

2 minutes ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

Its okay, Windows is looking through its own files for its own WiFi driver. Give it time.

Phew... thanks, I thought this will run for an eternity :)

53 minutes ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

Its okay, Windows is looking through its own files for its own WiFi driver. Give it time.

After an hour or so, yep it still scanning for drivers; It's already 11:00 in the evening :(

2 minutes ago, Memorizer said:

After an hour or so, yep it still scanning for drivers; It's already 11:00 in the evening :(

Don't close that window, but rather reboot the machine. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Don't close that window, but rather reboot the machine. 

Will do. If it doesn't work this time, I'm done for now :/

Update: just rebooted the system and the driver is gone; it says "No driver found". I might get the drivers from another computer :(

10 minutes ago, Memorizer said:

Will do. If it doesn't work this time, I'm done for now :/

Update: just rebooted the system and the driver is gone; it says "No driver found". I might get the drivers from another computer :(

Does the laptop have an ethernet port?

Totally don't have links in my signature

3 minutes ago, Muirj101 said:

Does the laptop have an ethernet port?

Fortunately, yes but I have to find my litte ethernet cable because I haven't used it in a while. Will do it tomorrow :)

I had this issue with my PC's onboard ethernet and wifi card. I just reinstalled the drivers by sharing my internet from my S7 to my PC (It uses the internet connection of your phone either data or wifi depending on what you are connected to) 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

18 minutes ago, Memorizer said:

Fortunately, yes but I have to find my litte ethernet cable because I haven't used it in a while. Will do it tomorrow :)

1 hour ago, Muirj101 said:

Can't really install a wifi card into a laptop, you'd need something like a USB dongle for that.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

39 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

that's what I meant. Razer core works too

10 hours ago, dcb-z said:

Yeah, the telephone company people came into my house, an they said it needs a USB dongle