ATH-M40x? or go back to the Cloud 2s?

StareX
Go to solution Solved by StareX,

OK, I RMA'd my Cloud 2's, got a new one. Feels awesome. horrible headsets but meh. Love em still.

My next headphones are DT770 80ohms for sure. Lemme get money first :3

So people! 

My HyperX Cloud 2's have finally broken down, they broke for me and no longer work.

They were really great, comfortable and I really loved listening to music with them, they sounded horrible to be fairly honest with you even though they were the best sounding headphones I've worn since my:

Siberia Elite (ehw)

Corsair Vengeance 1500 .. another ehw

Plantronics RIG and Gamecom 780 .. both nah..

So.. the Cloud 2's served me well, even tho they were absolutely shit. Im an audiophile..

I have tried the ATH-700x something.. I didnt like them, they were too big to my head, and meh, they didnt sit comfortably on me.. they sound good tho.

I have also tried the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO, but ... even if they were nice.. I dont LIKE GAMING. NAH!

So I've came across these! the ATH-M50x's.. but then heard they were.. meh, and the M40x? Apparently they are killing the m50xs?... even though I love Bass, DOES IT MATTER?

Does the M40x really ARE good? worth it? aka.. should I buy THESE? not the M50x's?... halp.

Yes I have been thinking about the DT770s, but uhh, I want cushions!.. and it's hard to buy the DT770s in where I live..

So uhh.. M50x's or M40x's? .. Oo

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I have the m50 and m50x and theyre uncomfortable to wear long term. Theyre closed back and the band squeezes your head into oblivion after some time. If I had to choose between the two, i'd go for the m40x. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Okay, because comfort is above all, second is sound because freaking hell I loved the Cloud 2's, they were comfortable as ffffffff

@Scruffy90 tho.. people said the M50x's are comfortable.. what makes the m40x's different?

Ask me anything.

The m40x is more neutral while the m50x is more bassy. I'd recommend other headphones but you said you like bass and what I was gonna recommend were neutral ones (like the 598cs). Also, you said the dt 770 wasn't an option so that's unfortunate as well.

Just now, Mirdon said:

The m40x is more neutral while the m50x is more bassy. I'd recommend other headphones but you said you like bass and what I was gonna recommend were neutral ones (like the 598cs). Also, you said the dt 770 wasn't an option so that's unfortunate as well.

OK, Lets say the DT770 ARE an option.. I've heard the HEAD BAND, hurts your head.. but the earcups are nice.

Listen, SOUND QUALITY is a must for me.. I really want good headphones. I listen to Pop, Rap, and Electronics.

I AM A HEAVY PC Gamer, and I DO listen to music every single day. and watch movies, I want immersion in them too. I love Bass, but not toooo much where it starts to clack.

Ask me anything.

Just now, StareX said:

OK, Lets say the DT770 ARE an option.. I've heard the HEAD BAND, hurts your head.. but the earcups are nice.

Listen, SOUND QUALITY is a must for me.. I really want good headphones. I listen to Pop, Rap, and Electronics.

I AM A HEAVY PC Gamer, and I DO listen to music every single day. and watch movies, I want immersion in them too. I love Bass, but not toooo much where it starts to clack.

That's weird, I've heard the contrary about the headband, in fact, I've heard the total opposite about them and rarely (by rarely, I mean that this is the first time I've encountered this) seen people dislike them. But you may never know, so it would help if you can try one out.

I think v-shape headphones (like the m50x, dt770) would serve you more on that genre.

45 minutes ago, Mirdon said:

That's weird, I've heard the contrary about the headband, in fact, I've heard the total opposite about them and rarely (by rarely, I mean that this is the first time I've encountered this) seen people dislike them. But you may never know, so it would help if you can try one out.

I think v-shape headphones (like the m50x, dt770) would serve you more on that genre.

Not the M40x's?

Ask me anything.

35 minutes ago, StareX said:

Not the M40x's?

The M40x is neutral and it usually sounds better on classical, jazz. With pop, electronics and rap, v-shaped headphones are generally preferred since there are varying highs and lows. One thing to note though is that m50x's bass, based on what I've read, is tight and not boomy. I personally haven't used the m50x so I can't say, I'm just basing on what I've read. At the end of the day, the best thing is to try your choices and pick the one you like.

I can't try them. One flaw I have here :(

Ask me anything.

35 minutes ago, Mirdon said:

The M40x is neutral and it usually sounds better on classical, jazz. With pop, electronics and rap, v-shaped headphones are generally preferred since there are varying highs and lows. One thing to note though is that m50x's bass, based on what I've read, is tight and not boomy. I personally haven't used the m50x so I can't say, I'm just basing on what I've read. At the end of the day, the best thing is to try your choices and pick the one you like.

Meh I might go with the M50x's then.. 

Ask me anything.

My #1 concern with the M40x is the comfort. I mean look at these tiny & hard pads! 

It might be a good sounding headphone, but you'll probably have to buy better pads for them.

8 hours ago, StareX said:

Meh I might go with the M50x's then.. 

Oh sorry, I didn't see your earlier post that you can't try them out. The m50x is good, just make to sure to replace the pads with some brainwavz hm5 like what kokakolia said.

I own the m30s and I like them I have no idea about the m40s but just try them and if you don't like the return it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just curious, if you're in the states, shouldn't it be easy for you to get the dt770?

I mean amazon/ebay has plenty of them.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

10 hours ago, Mirdon said:

the M40x aren't neutral at all, not even close. They just have a smaller bass boost than the M50x's and maybe that is why some people call them neutral. They are very much still a V shaped headphone, just not as much as the M50x's.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

the M40x aren't neutral at all, not even close. They just have a smaller bass boost than the M50x's and maybe that is why some people call them neutral. They are very much still a V shaped headphone, just not as much as the M50x's.

That's what I meant, if you've seen my earlier post, I used the term "more neutral" and later just used the term neutral to distinguish the two.

1 hour ago, Mirdon said:

That's what I meant, if you've seen my earlier post, I used the term "more neutral" and later just used the term neutral to distinguish the two.

good good, just wanted to clear it up

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 hours ago, nicobombai said:

Just curious, if you're in the states, shouldn't it be easy for you to get the dt770?

I mean amazon/ebay has plenty of them.

I live in Israel.

Again uhmm, I would really love the DT770, it's easy for me to get them ofcourse.. but 80ohm? 32ohm? heard the 32 is NAH!.. 80 or 250 are nice..

But I want bass, ok? I want to listen to a movie and be like "EPIC!!" .. with "BAM!" explosions and shiet. also at the same time I would love to listen to music. but I DONT want it to be muffled.

Muffled music is no. If there's no muffle then.. Im GOOD with anything. as long as this headphones dont break on me after 2 weeks of usage. 

Ask me anything.

13 hours ago, StareX said:

I live in Israel.

Again uhmm, I would really love the DT770, it's easy for me to get them ofcourse.. but 80ohm? 32ohm? heard the 32 is NAH!.. 80 or 250 are nice..

But I want bass, ok? I want to listen to a movie and be like "EPIC!!" .. with "BAM!" explosions and shiet. also at the same time I would love to listen to music. but I DONT want it to be muffled.

Muffled music is no. If there's no muffle then.. Im GOOD with anything. as long as this headphones dont break on me after 2 weeks of usage. 

Oh your location says otherwise..

DT770 80 ohms are great, i love that headphone. Very fun, great imaging, nice soundstage for a closedback and bassy headphones. Built quite sturdy actually.. You should be good with it imo.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

OK, I RMA'd my Cloud 2's, got a new one. Feels awesome. horrible headsets but meh. Love em still.

My next headphones are DT770 80ohms for sure. Lemme get money first :3

Ask me anything.