Liquid Cooled PSU ,FSP Introduces the Hydro PTM+

ahhming

FSP together with  Bitspower created this psu, the Hydro PTM+ is a unique, patented liquid cooled PSU.

FSP claims that the the Hydro PTM+ is the world's first 80 Plus Platinum-certified, mass-produced liquid cooled PSU.

Features LED lighting, which FSP says achieves a combination of great looks with amazing performance. The unique liquid cooling system, once enabled, increases the power rating from 1200W to 1400W. But, with an array of integrated sensors, the Hydro PTM+ also excels at efficiency, when running in silent mode (below 50% load) it still delivers 600W without the use of a fan for cooling, thus remaining in complete silence. 

No price and date release yet but more information will be revealed at computex.

fe32d8a67f4f.jpg

Source:

https://www.techpowerup.com/233590/fsp-introduces-the-new-hydro-ptm-liquid-cooled-psu

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

If its watercooled

Why does it have a fan

so it can run without a loop too i assume

this is stupid, if the block fails anywhere the PSU is fried and will probably take most of your computer with it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Wonder how well it's implemented. This concept makes sense given how much of a PSU often goes to cooling. Flex form factor combined with high power seem to indicate that this was the motivation behind it.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

If its watercooled

Why does it have a fan

Imagine the rads you would need to put in your rig to use this kind of psu without fan in full load... The watercooling solution is for mid-low load (600w)

I've literally never had an instance, not even with this itx rig running overclocked hardware, where my PSU ran hot enough to warrant water. 

The fact that thing is massive and not even Titanium rated is disgusting.

Ehh, no thanks FSP, staying away from this. For obvious reasons...what are they even thinking..

43 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I've literally never had an instance, not even with this itx rig running overclocked hardware, where my PSU ran hot enough to warrant water. 

The fact that thing is massive and not even Titanium rated is disgusting.

Though it can do 1200W fan only, 600W passive and 1400W watercooled?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

so it can run without a loop too i assume

this is stupid, if the block fails anywhere the PSU is fried and will probably take most of your computer with it

Given the fact that FSP are amongst the most respected PSU makers on the planet I find it hard to believe they haven't already thought of that. Its possible to waterproof a phone these days so I'm damn sure they can isolate the water loop from the power circuitry in such a way that any leak will be contained for long enough to trip a breaker or fuse before the entire thing explodes.

You really think this thing would be on sale if it wasn't certified by every 1st world country on the planet?

I'm old enough to remember the fuss everyone caused when the idea of watercooling a PC first became mainstream, literally over half the tech community went nuts claiming we would be seeing exploding rigs everywhere. Did that ever happen? (To be fair I was amongst the people saying it wasn't a good idea but I was only a teenager at the time)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Considering most PSU's are pretty much silent this is completely pointless and I Imagine fairly expensive. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

39 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Though it can do 1200W fan only, 600W passive and 1400W watercooled?

Hmm but mine can do 1650W and it's not water cooled or even that new.... but I still want a water cooled PSU just so I can add it to the list of components in my PC that are :P

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Given the fact that FSP are amongst the most respected PSU makers on the planet I find it hard to believe they haven't already thought of that. Its possible to waterproof a phone these days so I'm damn sure they can isolate the water loop from the power circuitry in such a way that any leak will be contained for long enough to trip a breaker or fuse before the entire thing explodes.

You really think this thing would be on sale if it wasn't certified by every 1st world country on the planet?

I'm old enough to remember the fuss everyone caused when the idea of watercooling a PC first became mainstream, literally over half the tech community went nuts claiming we would be seeing exploding rigs everywhere. Did that ever happen? (To be fair I was amongst the people saying it wasn't a good idea but I was only a teenager at the time)

i feel safter with haveing one component die then potentialy my house burn down because of a minor manufacturing error. while i see your point here and FSP make good PSUs i still would not use this unit. passive aircooling is what i would want on my PSU, a fan if it needs it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I think water cooled PSU would be great in a datacenter that is trying to reclaim lost energy in certain places where that is encouraged.

As a licensed electrical worker i will add this does not appear to comply with regs. The entire PSU needs to be sealed.

I cant tell but there needs to be double insulation between any 110/240VAC parts and the water and case, this may explain why there is a fan on top (a seperate way to cool the 240VAC parts).

Bonus fact: there are power stations that use water cooling, but they use super pure water in their generators.

Bonus bonus fact: the cray super computer was built like a fountain but ran on some sort of mineral oil or fluoride coolent, i cant remember you can google it, its caveat of the bonus bonus fact that i give you loose details.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

8 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I think water cooled PSU would be great in a datacenter that is trying to reclaim lost energy in certain places where that is encouraged.

A water cooled rack that absorbs generated heat and dissipates that heat outside is much safer, easier and cheaper though. Direct chip/component water cooling in datacenters is much more rare than the rack option.

1 hour ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Ehh, no thanks FSP, staying away from this. For obvious reasons...what are they even thinking..

FSP is one of the BEST Brands if it Comes to powersupplies , they are a Major oem and know what they are doing , id put em on the same Level as SEASONIC

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

From what i have read on french website.

It's full passive until 600W.

Not bad at all , but water and psu... nope i pass.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

A water cooled rack that absorbs generated heat and dissipates that heat outside is much safer, easier and cheaper though. Direct chip/component water cooling in datacenters is much more rare than the rack option.

I dont know how much you know about commercial air-con. theres a big plant room in basement or roof that refridgerates water. that water gets pumped around the building. Facebook or google was experimenting with pumping that water direct to the CPU instead of cooling the entire room. I dont know how that experiment went.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

28 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I dont know how much you know about commercial air-con. theres a big plant room in basement or roof that refridgerates water. that water gets pumped around the building. Facebook or google was experimenting with pumping that water direct to the CPU instead of cooling the entire room. I dont know how that experiment went.

Some do it, IBM was the first to really explore that type of thing. IBM was also planning on putting DC's in the basements of buildings and using the servers to pre-heat the hot water, so a double win.

The main issues with direct to chip water cooling is the higher cost and increased risk, the risk is mainly when you are adding/removing servers/blades.

The other problem is that water cooled racks are also extremely efficient and much cheaper. As Linus mentioned on the WAN show there will be a video coming up soon where he visited a Canadian university doing just that and hopefully it'll be a good watch. I'm really looking forward to it.

Also chilled water for server cooling isn't really that power efficient and there is a lot of energy transfer in the pipes, even well insulated.

Not that where I work is anywhere near this kind of stuff. The main DC is 20 year old design housing 20 ish racks, secondary is a containerized DC and the third one is really small and only a few racks of stuff.

Edit:

Also water cool racks work on storage arrays and networking equipment too so overall they are more useful

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The main issues with direct to chip water cooling is the higher cost and increased risk, the risk is mainly when you are adding/removing servers/blades.

About 15 years ago I worked on the flight simulator near auckland airport. they have this mad hydraulics room downstairs. Upstairs in the computer room there were some units about the size of a computer cabinet but they were for controlling humidity. They blasted out steam when needed but room cooling came from the ceiling ducts.

Has anyone done a blade server cabinet that is built like a fridge with a built in process cooler? I think LTT did a computer in a fridge video but they only did one computer.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Well, back when watercoolingbwas a 100% custom job people water cooled their power supplies. 

Bad idea then, bad idea now. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX