AMD Laptop Trying to Melt itself

Inb4 "typical AMD furnace"

I'm just cleaning out a laptop for someone, they said it was getting really really hot and running fans at full whack when doing basic shit like sitting on a webpage. After a quick google i can see that many people with this CPU (amd a10 5745m) say that it does run surprisingly hot at idle, but i can't tell if this is because this chip is naturally just stupid-hot by design, or if there is a design flaw at play, like if the heatsink has lifted up off the chip due to physical stress.

It's a heinous scumbag clam-shell design that required removing the keyboard assembly to get inside it, so the prospect of digging all the way down to the CPU and checking the heatsink is not super appealing to me at the mo.

Does anyone else have this chip or this laptop (HP Pavilion that for some reason doesn't have a specific product name on it) and do you know if 80 degrees at idle is acceptable, im kinda a bit ignorant to AMD laptops and how they behave, usually if i see AMD on a laptop i throw it at a wall (this will change with ryzen M) so i have no reference.

Thanks for the help 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

I have an older HP Envy 15 with an A8 CPU in it and it's my experience that without a cooling pad you'll get some pretty hot temps. I don't know specific temps though.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I have an older HP Envy 15 with an A8 CPU in it and it's my experience that without a cooling pad you'll get some pretty hot temps. I don't know specific temps though.

yeah that makes sense, i was kinda irritated to see that the motherboard is not only hidden under the keyboard, but it's also upside down with the CPU right up against the bottom of the laptop, this thing would bake your nuts if you put it on your lap !

i was going to run P95 on it but im kinda scared to in honesty, expecting the thing to hit 150C and swiftly die.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Though my friend has an MSI laptop bought around 1-2 years ago with a Broadwell i7-5700HQ and it goddamn runs at over 80 degrees when watching a movie or watching youtube...

It's more down to how the cooling system in the laptop is built and not because of the chip itself. Blame the laptop manufacturer for not making a sufficient cooling solution for the chip. Besides, this is probably an old laptop so the thermal paste is probably dried up.

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i have an lenovo laptop with an amd a6 apu, and no matter how hard i stress it it never goes above 60 degrees...

Exactly my point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

You might need to apply more thermal paste, my brother had to do that with his Alienware (it has an i7 in it). It might be worth a look because he said the temps were insane before he replaced it and afterwards the temps dropped significantly even at full load.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

You might need to apply more thermal paste, my brother had to do that with his Alienware (it has an i7 in it). It might be worth a look because he said the temps were insane before he replaced it and afterwards the temps dropped significantly even at full load.

yeah, that could work. 

She/Her

muffled 'burn, baby, burn' plays distantly

replace that paste, it's probably fucked

and that'll require you to essentially rip the laptop apart because HP™

idk

Replace the thermal paste. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

59 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Though my friend has an MSI laptop bought around 1-2 years ago with a Broadwell i7-5700HQ and it goddamn runs at over 80 degrees when watching a movie or watching youtube...

It's more down to how the cooling system in the laptop is built and not because of the chip itself. Blame the laptop manufacturer for not making a sufficient cooling solution for the chip. Besides, this is probably an old laptop so the thermal paste is probably dried up.

Exactly my point.

the thermal paste did cross my mind, but as i said i would literally have to take this laptop down to base components in order to even see the heatsink, and it's a free fix for a mate soooooooooo fuck that haha

Home PC:

Work PC:

2 hours ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

I am assuming that you mean 80C. In which case, no. On Intel U series APUs 80C is the threshold for throttling; right when you hit 80C cores are undercloked, or one is almost* shut down entirely. I'm not sure on the AMD side, but 80C is seriously hot, and no computer should idle at that temp.

no, 80 Celsius. I'm aware of Intel's typical thermal properties but i'm not familiar with AMD chips, hence the question including the qualifier "AMD Laptop"

As i said, after a bit of googling i found a few people saying that either the exact same laptop, or other laptops with the same APU, are also idling at 80 degrees C.

Home PC:

Work PC:

Kinda funny that this video got uploaded today considering this topic: 

-KuJoe