Networking Book's Suggestion

Hey all, Networking student here and I was wondering if there are some suggestions of some good books out there.  Obviously there is a tons of books out there but I was more curious on personal experience and personal suggestions of maybe something you always keep in your office either as a reference or a reminder. 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

What are you studying? Cisco, Juniper or any other subjects?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitor: 24" Acer S240HLBID | OS: Win 10 Pro.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 Hyper-V Server 2022 | Dell OptiPlex 9020 Hyper-V Server 2022 | TP-LINK TL-SG108E | Cisco Catalyst C2960CG 8 Port Switch | HP MicroServer G8 SCCM Server | 2x Dell PowerEdge R630 Hyper-V Server 2022

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

What are you studying? Cisco, Juniper or any other subjects?

More of general knowledge however Cisco is in mind currently. 

Just now, Nikolithebear said:

More of general knowledge however Cisco is in mind currently. 

Well, do you know the basics of networking? There's a ton of videos online other than books. But you could search dummies books on Amazon. :) 

For Cisco:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cisco+for+dummies&sprefix=cisco+for+d%2Caps%2C222&crid=18QJALLAVQNQ1

General Networking:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=networking+for+dummies&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anetworking+for+dummies

There's a ton of books you could choose from. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitor: 24" Acer S240HLBID | OS: Win 10 Pro.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 Hyper-V Server 2022 | Dell OptiPlex 9020 Hyper-V Server 2022 | TP-LINK TL-SG108E | Cisco Catalyst C2960CG 8 Port Switch | HP MicroServer G8 SCCM Server | 2x Dell PowerEdge R630 Hyper-V Server 2022

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Well, do you know the basics of networking? There's a ton of videos online other than books. But you could search dummies books on Amazon. :) 

For Cisco:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cisco+for+dummies&sprefix=cisco+for+d%2Caps%2C222&crid=18QJALLAVQNQ1

General Networking:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=networking+for+dummies&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anetworking+for+dummies

There's a ton of books you could choose from. :)

Nice!  Ill add them to the list.  Im taking a more advanced routing and switching class later this year so I thought Id cover some of it before hand to get ready.  Plus networking in generals just awesome. So theres that too :) 

Just now, Nikolithebear said:

Nice!  Ill add them to the list.  Im taking a more advanced routing and switching class later this year so I thought Id cover some of it before hand to get ready.  Plus networking in generals just awesome. So theres that too :) 

Yeah. I'm currently doing my CCNP. I've completed my CCNET AND CCNA. :D 

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Yeah. I'm currently doing my CCNP. I've completed my CCNET AND CCNA. :D 

Awesome!  I'm extremely tempted to go for those however the company I've been interning for is a direct competitor with them so Im not sure how that would look haha. 

6 hours ago, Nikolithebear said:

Awesome!  I'm extremely tempted to go for those however the company I've been interning for is a direct competitor with them so Im not sure how that would look haha. 

So long as it's not Arista I won't have to shun you :P

It's been a while since I took my CCNA and CCNP for R&S so I don't have any book suggestions but I can give you advise on how to practice.

1) Buy a server for like $300 on ebay, get a bunch of virtual routers (CSR1000v is a good choice), and configure away

2) Get VIRL from Cisco and then look at Packet. Packet is a online hosting provider and for like $0.05/hr you can load up to 20 routers/switches and go to town. You just point VIRL at your Packet instance and you're good to go pretty much.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 hours ago, Lurick said:

It's been a while since I took my CCNA and CCNP for R&S so I don't have any book suggestions but I can give you advise on how to practice.

1) Buy a server for like $300 on ebay, get a bunch of virtual routers (CSR1000v is a good choice), and configure away

2) Get VIRL from Cisco and then look at Packet. Packet is a online hosting provider and for like $0.05/hr you can load up to 20 routers/switches and go to town. You just point VIRL at your Packet instance and you're good to go pretty much.

Funny enough I actually have a server rack in my basement with a few switches, 4 Servers running esxi, windows server, linux etc for testing and config purposes and a cisco 3825ISR.  However I haven't heard of the CSR1000v, Ill defiantly look into that! 

3 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

Funny enough I actually have a server rack in my basement with a few switches, 4 Servers running esxi, windows server, linux etc for testing and config purposes and a cisco 3825ISR.  However I haven't heard of the CSR1000v, Ill defiantly look into that! 

Yah, you just need an account and they are free to download if you don't care about throughput, I think it's limited to something like 10 or 100meg of throughput without a license which is more than enough for config and testing :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Gotta say, the website Cybrary is pretty good for this type of stuff

On 5/21/2017 at 10:57 PM, Lurick said:

Whats wrong with Arista

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Whats wrong with Arista

They are evil!

(Plus I work for Cisco so, yah :P)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

23 minutes ago, Lurick said:

They are evil!

We use HP and Huawei, pure evil!! muahaha

48 minutes ago, leadeater said:

We use HP and Huawei, pure evil!! muahaha

Yes, much evil there as well :P

I work mainly in the data center and security spaces though so I don't see much of those guys

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yes, much evil there as well :P

I work mainly in the data center and security spaces though so I don't see much of those guys

Interesting, we use HP in our DC's and HW for campus networking or more correctly moving from HP to HW for that.

To be specific:

ToR: HPE 5900AF-48XG-4QSFP+

Distribution: HPE 7904

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Interesting, we use HP in our DC's and HW for campus networking or more correctly moving from HP to HW for that.

To be specific:

ToR: HPE 5900AF-48XG-4QSFP+

Distribution: HPE 7904

Yah, I've been focused on supporting just one customer for the past couple of years and they've threatened to go HP for edge stuff but that's about it and once we got things fixed they stuck with us (for now, lol). I hear others talk about HP in the Data Center space but for me it's been mostly Juniper and Arista as the main competitors. Mostly dealing with Nexus 9K product line :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, I've been focused on supporting just one customer for the past couple of years and they've threatened to go HP for edge stuff but that's about it and once we got things fixed they stuck with us (for now, lol). I hear others talk about HP in the Data Center space but for me it's been mostly Juniper and Arista as the main competitors. Mostly dealing with Nexus 9K product line :)

I wouldn't recommend switching to HP, like at all. You can even reference this post if you like, don't go there from something like Cisco. We were Cisco.....

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I wouldn't recommend switching to HP, like at all. You can even reference this post if you like, don't go there from something like Cisco. We were Cisco.....

Ah, interesting. Well if your company ever switches back or thinks about it and you need design validation or solutions testing then let me know, I can point you to the right people since that's why my group does :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

They are evil!

The people I'm interning for are direct competitors with Cisco in the European and Asian Markets o.O (Alcatel-Lucent AKA Nokia now) You are the EVIL one ;) 

1 hour ago, Nikolithebear said:

The people I'm interning for are direct competitors with Cisco in the European and Asian Markets o.O (Alcatel-Lucent AKA Nokia now) You are the EVIL one ;) 

Ah, not very knowledgeable on those markets.

I am very evil >:D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: