How bad is it going to be?

crazydog2580

It's not bad in general, but it's terrible in price to performance.

Alienware would be a better deal than this.

Or Origin PC.

believe me i know..

believe me i know..

I feel bad for you and the potential brain aneurysm that this may cause you.

if she NEEDS a mac, make a hackintosh... it not just build her a normal human pc and not something that uses the back panel as a heat spreader

Character artist in the Games industry.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Get a white bitfenix phenom and a pretty screen (lul)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I do not own an iMac but from my understanding expect the gaming experience will be adequate. Don't expect ultra settings, and you should be happy. Remember this is a mobile graphics card. The processor is fine and the fusion drive will only really affect load times over mechanical. Maybe less AA and a native resolution.

Are you planning on running boot camp to game? I find windows runs surprisingly well on a mac.

If you are building your own gaming pc in the new year, then you could always save a few bucks and stick with the default graphics card. Unless she will get something from the graphics card upgrade such as gaming or hardware accelerated applications.

From a macrumor forum post, it might give you an idea.

I installed BF4 on my iMac and did some multiplayer gaming. Fraps was used to record the frames (limited to 5min of recording, multiple recoding within the same map, results viewed via Fraps Benvch Viewer)

iMac:

i7

GTX780M (+200MHz Core, +300MHz Memory using MSI Afterburner)

32GB

1TB SSD

Windows 8.1

Nvidia 331.58

Battlefield 4 settings:

1920x1080

Ambient Occlusion: SSAO

AA: 2 x MSAA

AA Post: High

Rest: Ultra

BF4 Maps / fps:

Paracel Storm (64/64 player on the map): Average fps per recording: 72, 70, 71, 67

Zavod 311 (64/64 player on the map): Average fps per recording: 59, 60, 62

Golmud Railway (32/32 player on the map): Average fps per recording: 69, 66

Ooooof that $2000 premium OP.

Just get it for the woman anyway, Apple products are like diamonds to most women. You can get your way with her for awhile after that.

Edit: Wait, if she just wants one for the looks.. why not go with the lowest configuration? She probably wouldn't even need the performance.

thanks for all the suggestions but she is just not interested in a pc build she just wants a clean simple machine. we have looked at a ton of other all-in-one set ups. i have told her there a rip but she still wants one so what can ya do. give her what she wants then i can have the same budget for my self. I intend on building a pc probably early in the new year   

Then frankly I think you should pretend it is a pretty sculpture with some cool tricks it can do.  It sounds like you are in a financial position and love her in a way that you would buy her a $3k sculpture as a gift anyway so no big deal. 

The truth is that over the years, do to a family member who loves Apple and a college major that used them, I have used Macs over the years and honestly I think the iPhone is the only positive experience.  Usually I quickly start longing for a PC again and frankly often feel like they are trying so hard to be different they don't care about "better" vs "worse". 

I currently have this iMac as a hand me down.  My better half was trapped in the hospital for almost two weeks with a post op infection last year. . .  I brought him the IMac.  It was really nice to have everything in one nice box and was actually no issue to get set up in the hospital room.  My better half was very grateful to have a computer to use, but shared the growing feelings of we are just PC people.  We did not do much gaming on it.  He did play some emulators on it and I *think* we did manage to get two Logitech F310 controllers going at the same time in co-op but . . . . well hospitals can be hazy.  So err that is one kind of gaming you can certainly do.   We were very grateful to have had it at the hospital, but really have had little urge to bust it out again since, we are just not Mac folk. 

My feelings on Macs are that you should really only get them if you know what a Mac is, and know you want a Mac, not a PC, but specifically want a Mac.  Don't expect a Mac to be a PC, because it is not.  In your GFs case she knows iMacs are pretty, knows she wants pretty, so it works for her, it is what she wants.  

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

Then frankly I think you should pretend it is a pretty sculpture with some cool tricks it can do.  It sounds like you are in a financial position and love her in a way that you would buy her a $3k sculpture as a gift anyway so no big deal. 

How is this any different then those who modify their pc (aesthetically) or buy specific parts so colours match, even if it costs more or takes a performance hit? I assume you hold the same attitude towards those that make their PCs pretty? In no way am I saying all customizing of a PC is the same as customizing for aesthetics, or that it is terrible for one to do so. I am not trying to get into a Mac vs PC argument here, and I assume that was not the intention of the OP, especially on a PC centric forum.

Buy a mac mini and throw it inside a 900D and have your ports come out a PCIe slot or something then build a PC.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Give your better half what she wants and she'll be happy.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

i have suggested this idea not keen...

I do not own an iMac but from my understanding expect the gaming experience will be adequate. Don't expect ultra settings, and you should be happy. Remember this is a mobile graphics card. The processor is fine and the fusion drive will only really affect load times over mechanical. Maybe less AA and a native resolution.

Are you planning on running boot camp to game? I find windows runs surprisingly well on a mac.

If you are building your own gaming pc in the new year, then you could always save a few bucks and stick with the default graphics card. Unless she will get something from the graphics card upgrade such as gaming or hardware accelerated applications.

From a macrumor forum post, it might give you an idea.

Ooooof that $2000 premium OP.

Just get it for the woman anyway, Apple products are like diamonds to most women. You can get your way with her for awhile after that.

Edit: Wait, if she just wants one for the looks.. why not go with the lowest configuration? She probably wouldn't even need the performance.

the only reason for the upgrades is well why not i will be using it as well every now and than? if i have to buy one why not make it the best model i can. she will get into photo/video editing soon she has taken a lil more interest in the nikon D90 we have.   

and no one needs to tell me a pc will out perform a mac with editing i know.  

How is this any different then those who modify their pc (aesthetically) or buy specific parts so colours match, even if it costs more or takes a performance hit? I assume you hold the same attitude towards those that make their PCs pretty? In no way am I saying all customizing of a PC is the same as customizing for aesthetics, or that it is terrible for one to do so. I am not trying to get into a Mac vs PC argument here, and I assume that was not the intention of the OP, especially on a PC centric forum.

yeah im definatly starting to rethink my post about a mac on this forum

i have suggested this idea not keen...

What about getting her the monitor i linked and a ~500$ mac mini? the minis are small enough i dont think it would bother her (if it does i guess your sol and have to get an imac xD) or what about buying a 2011/12 model off ebay and saving a bit?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

you can build her a sweet PC for cheaper and get an Apple monitor, install one of billions of Linux OS's out there that happens to look like apples crap and tell her its an iMac

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

the only reason for the upgrades is well why not i will be using it as well every now and than? if i have to buy one why not make it the best model i can. she will get into photo/video editing soon she has taken a lil more interest in the nikon D90 we have.   

and no one needs to tell me a pc will out perform a mac with editing i know.

Makes sense to me.

I assume you read the post regarding bf4 frame rates, not sure what games you play, but it does give you an idea. It will work adequately for playing games on. When I say adequate I am not meaning poor, just given that it is using a mobile gpu and that expectations shouldn't be ultra. It will actually perform the editing stuff quite well.

It's not really that different.  I would argue customization has an element or creativity and artistic expression, as well as a hobby element, that buying an off the shelf Mac does not have, but that only goes so far in justification.  My point was that if you can afford it and it makes you happy, get it.  Just don't expect a $3k Mac to act like a PC, it is still a Mac.  There are women that spend $3k on purses and shoes and those make them, this not that different, and neither is a water cooled system.  There is a limit to how much I am going to argue PC customization is practical, and likewise there is a limit to how much I am going to argue that a Mac is a good option to be used as a pretty netbook. If you can afford it and want, by all means, get it and enjoy it, but don't expect it to be something it is not.

The OP asked how bad this is going to be, and then talked about gaming.  Frankly I think the advice given is not unfair given the question.  Mac is not going to be a good option there.  Had they asked "is this a good Mac" or "what accessories, bonuses, extras do I need for a Mac that a PC guy may not no about"  I suspect a lot of us would have reacted differently.  He did not, and still does not seem too happy about it, but is planning to because she wants it and loved her.  I felt it would be better for him to look at this thing as an art piece rather than try to justify it for practicality.  A Mac is not practical, (well it was easier for lugging to a hospital, but that is not what most of us judge a computer by) it is however very pretty, and does look nice on a desk. 

I think you have the idea that I see buying a $3k sculpture or statue as wrong.  I don't many people do this normally and enjoy it and good for them so long as they can afford it.  I have little interest in how others spend their disposable income, I am sure many would scoff at my choices and I don't like hypocrisy.   I might scoff if they start trying to defend it as an investment, or otherwise try to justifiy the expendature beyond "it's pretty and I like it"  but if they like art and like a pretty 3D thing on their desk, I am glad it makes them happy.  It sounds very much like she wants something pretty for her desk more than a computer, so what is wrong with getting her what she wants, and thinking of it as what it is? I think he is going to by much happier come Christmas morning if he is expecting to get a big warm smile from the woman he loves  rather than a gaming computer. 

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

Well its really worth it for the Apple Magic Mouse.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

It's not really that different.  I would argue customization has an element or creativity and artistic expression, as well as a hobby element, that buying an off the shelf Mac does not have, but that only goes so far in justification.  My point was that if you can afford it and it makes you happy, get it.  Just don't expect a $3k Mac to act like a PC, it is still a Mac.  There are women that spend $3k on purses and shoes and those make them, this not that different, and neither is a water cooled system.  There is a limit to how much I am going to argue PC customization is practical, and likewise there is a limit to how much I am going to argue that a Mac is a good option to be used as a pretty netbook. If you can afford it and want, by all means, get it and enjoy it, but don't expect it to be something it is not.

The OP asked how bad this is going to be, and then talked about gaming.  Frankly I think the advice given is not unfair given the question.  Mac is not going to be a good option there.  Had they asked "is this a good Mac" or "what accessories, bonuses, extras do I need for a Mac that a PC guy may not no about"  I suspect a lot of us would have reacted differently.  He did not, and still does not seem too happy about it, but is planning to because she wants it and loved her.  I felt it would be better for him to look at this thing as an art piece rather than try to justify it for practicality.  A Mac is not practical, (well it was easier for lugging to a hospital, but that is not what most of us judge a computer by) it is however very pretty, and does look nice on a desk. 

I think you have the idea that I see buying a $3k sculpture or statue as wrong.  I don't many people do this normally and enjoy it and good for them so long as they can afford it.  I have little interest in how others spend their disposable income, I am sure many would scoff at my choices and I don't like hypocrisy.   I might scoff if they start trying to defend it as an investment, or otherwise try to justifiy the expendature beyond "it's pretty and I like it"  but if they like art and like a pretty 3D thing on their desk, I am glad it makes them happy.  It sounds very much like she wants something pretty for her desk more than a computer, so what is wrong with getting her what she wants, and thinking of it as what it is? I think he is going to by much happier come Christmas morning if he is expecting to get a big warm smile from the woman he loves  rather than a gaming computer. 

yeah your right i probaly asked the wrong questions. and all the advise i have gotten is fair and i agree with

I WILL GO MAC one day, I went pc because I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and a mac pro. So no games run on it so whats a fella to do with all this spare time and ONLY creative tools? of course lets just write a few crap screenplays that will never come out but sure lets release a trailer... So I sold my mac and got a pc purely to pass the years away until I can get out and get a job get busy and finally not have loads of time on my hands. In a few years time i'll prolly be back rocking some kind of mac mini in a video editing job and have no time for gaming. And i'm really looking forward to getting back where I belong.

http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=664370

78962661_d0de5a3812_z.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

you can build her a sweet PC for cheaper and get an Apple monitor, install one of billions of Linux OS's out there that happens to look like apples crap and tell her its an iMac

Idiots like this and the person that liked your comment. Jesus christ did you not learn to read in school?

Did he not say she doesn't want a PC tower? Reading through these comments is making my brain hurt. Just buy her the Mac if she wants it, this forum is mostly browsed by brain dead morons who seem to lack basic reading comprehension skills. And people saying "tell her to stfu and build a PC" ugh, grow up.

If she wants the Mac and you don't mind spending the money get it for her, and yes it would be fine for most games med/high.

people in the forum ignoring what you've said, ergh

Get it, you'll be fine on mid and high, and you won't find a better AIO. which obviously no one else understand is what is desired.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Idiots like this and the person that liked your comment. Jesus fucking christ did you not learn to read in school?

Did he not say she doesn't want a PC tower? Fuck, reading through these comments is making my brain hurt. Just buy her the Mac if she wants it, this forum is mostly browsed by brain dead morons who seem to lack basic reading comprehension skills. And people saying "tell her to stfu and build a PC" ugh, grow up.

If she wants the Mac and you don't mind spending the money get it for her, and yes it would be fine for most games med/high.

panties in a bunch much?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

For that price I'm with the other users saying to build a machine.  You can build a very, very high end Desktop and include a 27" IPS monitor for the same amount of money and end up with a more powerful system by far...

Unless she is doing something that specifically requires MAC OS, you should very patiently explain that you can get a much longer lasting build for less money with a PC.  People with a bias for/against a particular platform are often just uninformed and don't understand that even the proprietary programs often have an equivalent.  The only exception would be if she is doing high end 3d modeling and has a program she is an expert with and needs a Mac for that...in which case just buy her the Mac and be done with it.