watercooled gtx 780 ti or r9 290x

FeltyKat

which of this is better when watercooled & overclocked like balls to the walls

GTX 780 Ti, especially if it gets more vram

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

GTX 780 ti since the R9-290x has already been over clocked quite quite hard.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

780Ti, it will murder the 290X

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I don't any part in the performance conversation but I believe M-ursu's r9 290 did something like 1250 on the core with the stock cooler(loud), so they should oc. But the performance question I have no answer

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

xvbj.pngjxt1.png

Take it with a grain of salt as the silicon lottery does play a huge role but it seems from the cards that this guy got that the R9 290X significantly outperforms the GTX 780 ti.

Both are on water btw.

Taken from this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790016

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

oh and well never use unigine benchmark as reference for AMD performance.  Search Firestrike because  both sides release drivers to optimize it's performance...since it's used in world benchmark competition 

also hitman absolution = amd optimized

BF4 = both almost same

Bioshock infinite = nvidia do better ...even if it's AMD title

crysis 3 = same as above

tomb raider = amd

it's what you'll find if read some reviews... also most of other games or are not optimized for both sides or you'll have performance above 60fps for both sides...even maxed with 8xAA 

Go amd there building a empire this year

The best option is 2 watercooled 290s

The best option is 2 watercooled 780 Ti (or 3 or 4)

jxt1.png

Take it with a grain of salt as the silicon lottery does play a huge role but it seems from the cards that this guy got that the R9 290X significantly outperforms the GTX 780 ti.

Both are on water btw.

Taken from this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790016

Read the stuff you post, before you post it. That is a 780, not a 780 Ti

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I go with the GTX 780 Ti watercooled for now.

But I will try my R9 290X as well once Mantle is out. And then I'll OC it balls to the wall and see which GPU I'll keep in my gaming rig.

As it was said before it's sometimes all about the silicon lottery either you win or loose.

GreetZ Naj

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

As Linus said on the last live stream, the good thing about AMD and Nvidia right now is, you can't go wrong with either platform.

To answer your question, a 780Ti will perform better at 1440p or less. A 290X will perform better at 1080p*3 or more (see Anandtech reviews). However, the most cost effective method is two 290 cards (non-X). You just cannot beat performance for that price right now.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Apparently the R9 will overclock a lot more if you can get those temperatures down. Heat is the limiting factor of the R9's performance so if you have an exceptional WC setup and you don't live in an oven; try the R9 as you should be able to overclock it a lot more. Although I see you live in India which if I am not mistaken, it can be pretty hot there. What is your ambient room temp?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

The 780Ti will murder the 290X air cooled... So it will still murder it watercooled and OC'd.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The 780Ti will murder the 290X air cooled... So it will still murder it watercooled and OC'd.

The problem here is that the 290x is being throttled, and then compared to the ti. When you remove the throttling with even decent air coolers (accelero x3) it still manages 1200mhz. On the reference cooler, it throttles around 760-800 mhz. That's a 50% clock speed increase.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Apparently the R9 will overclock a lot more if you can get those temperatures down. Heat is the limiting factor of the R9's performance so if you have an exceptional WC setup and you don't live in an oven; try the R9 as you should be able to overclock it a lot more. Although I see you live in India which if I am not mistaken, it can be pretty hot there. What is your ambient room temp?

my temp is about 85C

which of this is better when watercooled & overclocked like balls to the walls

depends on what screen resolution you are using and what games you are playing.

W/C a 780 Ti will likely not gain you much over a good non-reference air cooler from ASUS, Gigabyte etc as heat is not a huge limiting factor on that card but I have not seen any numbers yet on W/C. Here is a non-reference 780 Ti - http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/62537-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-oc/

Heat is a huge factor in determining the performance of the R9 290/290X so W/C one of these will give you a big jump in performance as already discovered by those who have installed EK waterblocks over on Overclock.net forum as mentioned previously. Some are over 1300Mhz

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club

Dual W/C R9 290 will likelybe your best bet if you must W/C for an extra $200 but I would wait for all the non-reference coolers on both sets of cards to get a better idea.

----------------

Only as old as you game!!

Gaming since PONG invented in '70s

my temp is about 85C

If your ambient room temperature is 85C then you really do live in an oven. :P

Is 85C the temperature of your gfx card under load? What I wanted to know is what is the average temperature of the room you keep your PC in. If your room is always very warm (25C +) you are not going to be able to cool your gpu really really well therfore hindering the massive overclock this card could reach. Like I said earlier, the colder you can keep this card, the more you can push the limits. The 780 isn't limited by heat. Not sure what it is limited by but it ain't heat. Remember the overclocking of the newest cards is done automatically by the gpu software. The R9 will overclock till she hits 95C.

This is all according to linus's videos/wan show anyway.  I haven't put that much research into these cards so don't take what I say as gospel.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

2 290s

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight