Ryzen has another instruction implementation problem, VME is broken

zMeul

AMD already stated upfront that there is no support for win 7 and below. So this is news?

On 5/13/2017 at 1:33 PM, Master Disaster said:

VMs are a thing though. Imagine the chaos if AMD were selling server CPUs to farms running VM clusters?

were not talking server platform, we're talking consumer grape chips here. so if AMD has a few bugs for a 5 gen old os, on consumer platforms it's not that big of a deal. If this happened on the new server lineup then it would be a HUGE deal

54 minutes ago, BaRoMeTRic said:

AMD already stated upfront that there is no support for win 7 and below. So this is news?

do you have any idea how VMs work? apparently not

were not talking server platform, we're talking consumer grape chips here. so if AMD has a few bugs for a 5 gen old os, on consumer platforms it's not that big of a deal. If this happened on the new server lineup then it would be a HUGE deal

consumer?!

please tell me the difference between the consumer Ryzen and the enterprise Ryzen version

54 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

Sorry for telling it the way it is.

AMD forced launched a product which was not yet ready for consumers.

While the processors themselves may not have an issues, the issue lies with the motherboards which were not ready for release.

Thus I called it, a beta product. A product which is still in development. And the price of buying Ryzen right now, is that people get to be beta testers.

So, would you also classify those Intel products mentioned as beta?  Just curious.

51 minutes ago, BaRoMeTRic said:

Actually, that's not technically true.  I was on one of the marketing Webinars from AMD, and I asked them if Windows 7 drivers would be available.  I was told that yes, they would be, since the chipset design was actually based on an existing chipset (I can't recall which one).

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

So, would you also classify those Intel products mentioned as beta?  Just curious.

X99? Yes.

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Actually, that's not technically true.  I was on one of the marketing Webinars from AMD, and I asked them if Windows 7 drivers would be available.  I was told that yes, they would be, since the chipset design was actually based on an existing chipset (I can't recall which one).

Actually both of you are correct.

AMD said that Ryzen won't be supported on Win7.

And AMD said that Ryzen will be supported on Win7.

This was one of those moments where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

consumer?!

please tell me the difference between the consumer Ryzen and the enterprise Ryzen version

Naples and Snowy Owl are the enterprise products not Ryzen.

Naples:

• More CCX modules
  • 64 PCIe lanes
  • 8 Channel memory
  • Socket SP3 (4094 pins)
  • LGA not PGA

Still these all use the Zen architecture so it's likely this bug is in the Naples/Snowy Owl engineering samples and will be fixed before launch. Good to know that the advice I was giving to not use Ryzen for virtual hosts was correct.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Naples and Snowy Owl are the enterprise products not Ryzen

please cut the crap

businesses can't use i3, i5 or i7s because they're not Xeons?

if AMD already started production of Naples, they had no knowledge of this issue and won't be fixed on the production line

assuming this is micro-code fixable

Just now, zMeul said:

please cut the crap

businesses can't use i3, i5 or i7s because you're not Xeons?

Um what? The statement you responded to was specifically stating Ryzen is not the server platform which is true. Naples and Snowy Owl are the server platforms which is all I said.

The origin of the point you responded to was that a bug that effects virtual machine hosting would be far more catastrophic on the server platform, this isn't dismissing the issue on the desktop side.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

please cut the crap

businesses can't use i3, i5 or i7s because they're not Xeons?

if AMD already started production of Naples, they had no knowledge of this issue and won't be fixed on the production line

assuming this is micro-code fixable

Enterprise =/= buisness

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, leadeater said:

Um what? The statement you responded to was specifically stating Ryzen is not the server platform which is true

what?

currently there is no server platform for Zen - if a business out there wants Zen, there's only Ryzen

Just now, zMeul said:

what?

currently there is no server platform for Zen - if a business out there wants Zen, there's only Ryzen

He was speaking about server use, not buisness

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Just now, zMeul said:

what?

True but there are no Ryzen servers other than custom built ones out of parts which no sensible business would do and as I stated I've already been advising not to use Ryzen for VM hosting.

Enterprise for a tech company is generally servers. Take HPE for an example. A small buisness would never buy from them because HP - ENTERPRISE isnt for buisnesses its for SERVERS

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

He was speaking about server use, not buisness

please point to me where the server grade Zen based CPUs are available

Just now, zMeul said:

please point to me where the server grade Zen based CPUs are available

They arent available, that was the point. Jesus

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

True but there are no Ryzen servers other than custom built ones out of parts which no sensible business would do and as I stated I've already been advising not to use Ryzen for VM hosting.

it matters not what you advise but what the market actually does

I also advised people to stay away from Ryzen for at least 6-12 months because of the launch issues and other issues that might be uncovered during exploitation

how was this discovered? by people running VMs ..

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

They arent available, that was the point. Jesus

geez .. they are not!

good god!

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Still these all use the Zen architecture so it's likely this bug is in the Naples/Snowy Owl engineering samples and will be fixed before launch. Good to know that the advice I was giving to not use Ryzen for virtual hosts was correct.

zMeul you're literally looking for a fight. Your reply had nothing to do with his original post

Spoiler

AXIOM

14 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

zMeul you're literally looking for a fight. Your reply had nothing to do with his original post

Well at least I found it amusing how massively the point was missed, and great example of making sure you read posts fully and correctly otherwise comprehension of the point may be severely impaired.

16 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

When is he not looking for a fight on a topic that's AMD related... It's like he lives for this

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Some zMeul stats (this is what being objective is all about):

Topics created in the 2 month - 31 topics

Topics about AMD - 8

Topics which may be considered negative towards AMD - 3

Topics which may be considered POSITIVE towards AMD - 1

So about 25% topics created by zMeul in the last 2 months were about AMD, and 10% were negative. The rest were either positive or neutral (like "recent W10 patch shows improvements for Ryzen" and "Microsoft blocks updates for Ryzen and Kaby Lake on Windows 7")

90% of his topics were not shitty on AMD, and yet a large group of people on this forum brings up the remaining 10% whenever they get the chance. And you say he is the one that is being a fanboy/biased? Come on...

I think you're using inaccurate data here. You're saying that only 10% of topics posted have been negative towards AMD, but that number doesn't help at all because every topic that isn't about AMD can't be negative toward the company anyway (not unless it's off-topic bashing which is ill advised).

I think the number that matters is that 3 out of 8 topics about AMD were negative, which constitutes 37.5% of all topics.

I won't comment on whether that reveals a bias or not. But I also believe you're not being objective in that analysis even though you claim to, because labeling a topic positive / negative is a process that requires a value judgment which can never be objective. It would be objective to say that "X topics out of Y about AMD included one of the following negative words directed toward AMD: incompetent, mistake, problem, broken (...)".

So if I may, how did you choose which topics were negative, neutral and positive?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

54 minutes ago, zMeul said:

geez .. they are not!

good god!

Are for real today? FUCK! He said there are NONE AVAILABE, and you replied with your wrong there not available. Please take a midol and stop this nonsensical arguing. This is you arguing "See I told you its not xyz... its xyz stupid, jEEZ"

/

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

1 minute ago, jasonc_01 said:

Are for real today? FUCK! He said there are NONE AVAILABE, and you replied with your wrong there not available. Please take a midol and stop this nonsensical arguing. This is you arguing "See I told you its not xyz... its xyz stupid, jEEZ"

that was the whole fucking point of the argument - that they do not exist

and it wasn't his point, it was mine

Just now, zMeul said:

that was the whole fucking point of the argument - that they do not exist

and it wasn't his point, it was mine

Thats exactly what he SAID! Quote "They arent available, that was the point. Jesus" and you replied with Quote "geez .. they are not! good god!". 

Dude this isn't hard to comprehend, you corrected him with his own answer! 

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

1 minute ago, jasonc_01 said:

Thats exactly what he SAID! Quote "They arent available, that was the point. Jesus" and you replied with Quote "geez .. they are not! good god!". 

Dude this isn't hard to comprehend, you corrected him with his own answer! 

Better to quit while you are ahead... This will be pointless and a waste of your time

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)