Need a new desk. Where to look?

ZimFreak

I need a new desk, mine is bowed in the middle because it's thin cheap particle board. I need a new desk, preferably with a sliding keyboard tray and no hutch or any nonsense on top. I initially started looking on Craigslist but everything is either old as hell and too small or way too expensive. Anything around the $100 range that's any good? I don't need solid mahogany hardwood but something sturdy and attractive at least. And where should I even start shopping? Furniture stores? Best Buy? Walmart? Amazon? Craigslist/Ebay? No Ikea near me unfortunately.

I've never shopped for a desk before. 

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

there's no general answer -  ikea offers solid tables, craigslist is also a good place to look for used stuff. I'm not from the US so i can't tell you exactly where to look elsewhere. But you also can find offerings at furniture stores i guess.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Now I dont normally comment on stuff outside of the odd floatplane thing... But this made me curious if anyone does what I do for a desk, especially since I do all kinds of stuff on my desk - like stuff that might catch fire all kinds of stuff and heavy stuff.

So my "desk" is actually a cheap, plain wood fire door (not the super thick ones), they're <£30 at times from wickes/B&Q in the UK. Prop that up on a filing cabinet (one of the 3 door ones) or one of the ikea desk things (the alex(?) is actually pretty sturdy for the hate ikea stuff gets) and on the other side I have a truss type thing that holds my tower made from a bunch of screws and some cheap wood I bought along with the door.

Result: 180x60cm of fireproof, solid, plain wood surface (that can be sanded is you ever mess up with epoxy or whatever) that has drawers and space to hold my machine for under £50 (I had the filing cabinet).

Of course, given that much space its a total mess so no pictures, but its a door on a wood frame type thing and a filing cabinet so...

6 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

there's no general answer -  ikea offers solid tables, craigslist is also a good place to look for used stuff. I'm not from the US so i can't tell you exactly where to look elsewhere. But you also can find offerings at furniture stores i guess.

Unfortunately I live in the only place in the world that doesn't have an Ikea nearby, New York (not NYC)

4 minutes ago, code_glitch said:

So my "desk" is actually a cheap, plain wood fire door (not the super thick ones), they're <£30 at times from wickes/B&Q in the UK. Prop that up on a filing cabinet (one of the 3 door ones) or one of the ikea desk things (the alex(?) is actually pretty sturdy for the hate ikea stuff gets) and on the other side I have a truss type thing that holds my tower made from a bunch of screws and some cheap wood I bought along with the door.

That's fascinating and actually not a terrible idea. What do you do about the hinges and door handle though? 

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

"we" got right now two different desks from Ikea, my wife wanted a Hemnes due to the containers it has and it is a comfy size. I went for Arkelstorp and am quite happy with that. Though both haven't got a keyboard tray to pull out. Arkelstorp is right now around 180€ but it's worth it from what I can tell from using it many hours per day.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

2 minutes ago, ZimFreak said:

Unfortunately I live in the only place in the world that doesn't have an Ikea nearby, New York (not NYC)

That's fascinating and actually not a terrible idea. What do you do about the hinges and door handle though? 

Remove hinges, built in cupholder!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

office depot has sales pretty frequently, for example, about a month ago they had an L shaped desk on sale for around 180$, after the sale was over it went back up to $300, this week its down to around $280, I'm going to wait till it goes back down to 180. but I'm sure they have smaller desks for cheaper. this is the desk I'm currently using http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/891544/Realspace-Dawson-60-Computer-Desk-Brushed/   its on sale for 140, and its decent, its still composite fiber board or whatever but it does not sag with weight on it, I have a dg-87 x99 2x1080sli rig and 3x 24" on a tri monitor mount on it.

Just now, ZimFreak said:

Okay so this a plain door and by plain I mean like *plaaaain*. So no detail, no holes, hinges, handles or anything. Its pretty much just a slab of wood *stuff* (wood frame and panels filled with what appears to be some fire-retardant wood-material like stuff). Exhibit A: http://www.diy.com/departments/flush-ply-veneer-internal-unglazed-door-h1981mm-w762mm/42692_BQ.prd

Not the exact one I got since I had just moved in and needed a door so I popped down to the local wickes and found this one on sale but it gives you an idea of what you can find.

2 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Remove hinges, built in cupholder!

lol cup holder is unique didn't think of that. good one.

4 minutes ago, ZimFreak said:

afaik they do ship their stuff too, at least where I live ;)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

afaik they do ship their stuff too, at least where I live ;)

How have I never thought of that? Looks like you're right though. That's amazing, Ikea has so much great cheap stuff. Definitely checking them out now.  Thanks

3 minutes ago, shawnhovde said:

lol cup holder is unique didn't think of that. good one.

Thanks, I try.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Side note on using a door: Check if you want one thats hollow or has an internal frame. Hollow is obviously less strong, but should usually be fine for actual normal desk stuff. Just had a skim on that link and its a hollow door so theres that. For what its worth, mine is 1.8-2m tall, is not framed and only has some MDF type stuff inside and I can stand on it (I weigh about 80kg) provided I dont have all my weight in the middle. Though I don't test it too often given my machine is under it and my screens and things on top. But whenever I need to get a spider/change a bulb I have no reservations standing near the ends instead of getting the stepladder (lazy)

I KNOW YOU DON'T HAVE AN IKEA NEARBY, HEAR ME OUT

My desk is the (not sure if I'm spelling this correctly) Ikea Linnmon table top (the big one, can't remember the exact measurements) with a pair of Alex Drawer units. This will cost around $200 but if you don't need the drawers, you can get just the table top and some (Adils?) legs for it for around $80. Also, I believe that Ikea does shipping, but I don't remember where to and prices.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I bought some plywood and had my carpenter cut it for me, my setup looks like this:

Spoiler

pc.png.fa2d807f8fdada1a1d374b1ef4da2c1b.png

(Middle) Space below the monitor is for my keyboard and mouse when I want to store them while I use my drawing tablet or for when I'm eating

(Right) Space below the printer is for my notebooks, pen, paper and the area in front of it is where I draw/write (which reminds me, I need to buy a lamp)

(Left) Space below the router and avr is for my extension and cables

5 minutes ago, Mirdon said:

I bought some plywood and had my carpenter cut it for me, my setup looks like this:

Hide contents

pc.png.fa2d807f8fdada1a1d374b1ef4da2c1b.png

(Middle) Space below the monitor is for my keyboard and mouse when I want to store them while I use my drawing tablet or for when I'm eating

(Right) Space below the printer is for my notebooks, pen, paper and the area in front of it is where I draw/write (which reminds me, I need to buy a lamp)

(Left) Space below the router and avr is for my extension and cables

Look cool. What did you use to seal or finish the plywood top?

I actually did a similar thing to Mirdon.

Because I'm cheap and ghetto, I ended up doing a similar thing with some odd bits and bobs from ikea to raise mine up since I spend waay to much time at my desk and it was taking it's toll on shoulders/neck. I know some people hate ikea, and this shelf is probably why, but one Lack shelf and some of those metal cabinet feet later and you get the thing described here: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/12/10cm-lift-desk-shelf-monitor-stand.html

Its not built into the desk, or very high but it works well enough and looks un-offensive and almost decent. Its an ikea 'hack' thats pretty cheap and minimal effort if people want to duplicate it however they like (you get matte/gloss shelves in that line of varying lengths and colours) and its basically just a bit of measuring plus 16 screws.

For reference, this is the only part of my desk that is socially acceptable to post a picture of right now. Usually has more beer in view, and I know (unity peasant here, I am not getting into why). Part of strut for stand visible. Dust is a problem, cable management too but Im equal parts OCD and lazy so there...

IMG_20170513_171121.thumb.jpg.a64a45ae005bd4f1fb6ef64a487ac710.jpg

Just now, ZimFreak said:

Look cool. What did you use to seal or finish the plywood top?

There are two screws underneath for each leg to connect them to the base. For the connection between the legs and the top surface, I think my carpenter either used a strong glue or nails, I'm not sure since I wasn't present while he was doing it and got back when the entire table and surface were already laminated. This is what it looks like disassembled:

Spoiler

59173233d8178_pcdisassembled.png.b30743243b1bc5002d800d36304ea69f.png

1 hour ago, Mirdon said:

There are two screws underneath for each leg to connect them to the base. For the connection between the legs and the top surface, I think my carpenter either used a strong glue or nails, I'm not sure since I wasn't present while he was doing it and got back when the entire table and surface were already laminated. This is what it looks like disassembled:

Hide contents

59173233d8178_pcdisassembled.png.b30743243b1bc5002d800d36304ea69f.png

I was more concerned about using plywood as a desk surface. I guess if it's a thick laminate it would be fine but how does the finish look?

10 hours ago, ZimFreak said:

I was more concerned about using plywood as a desk surface. I guess if it's a thick laminate it would be fine but how does the finish look?

Unfortunately I wanted to stay anonymously as possible (hence me trying to evade your first question :D), I don't want any photo on the internet that can be associated with me (reason I went to the trouble of modeling my setup).

The plywood is 2cm thick, the surface is very smooth and there's no dents, lumps or any other deformities, it looks like a regular laminated computer table.

13 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I KNOW YOU DON'T HAVE AN IKEA NEARBY, HEAR ME OUT

My desk is the (not sure if I'm spelling this correctly) Ikea Linnmon table top (the big one, can't remember the exact measurements) with a pair of Alex Drawer units. This will cost around $200 but if you don't need the drawers, you can get just the table top and some (Adils?) legs for it for around $80. Also, I believe that Ikea does shipping, but I don't remember where to and prices.

The Linmom requires freight shipping which is something like $200, it's not worth ordering directly from IKEA since the tabletop itself is so cheap.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz