NVidia displaying 4-way VR at GTC, project for Luke?

WMGroomAK

At the GPU Technology Conference (GTC), NVidia has presented an interesting concept system which allows for four-way Virtual Reality.  The system itself is powered by four Quadro P6000 GPUs and creates four Virtual Machines in order to drive four HTC Vive Business Editions.  According to the Article at Guru 3D

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-showcases-multi-users-vr-system-concept.html

Multi-user systems open up opportunities to use VR in everything from amusement parks and arcades to military and first responder training, to manufacturing and design. The setup minimizes the space, power and cooling required, making the system portable and quick to deploy. This is particularly advantageous for the growing market for location-based VR environments, the customized VR spaces popping up at cinemas, shopping malls and elsewhere.

The system’s compact size brings full-featured VR capabilities into tight or unconventional spaces, like naval ships and mobile command centers, where simulation training can add tremendous value.

Initially, the reason for developing this system was to figure out a way to support multi-user VR. However, other interesting use cases began to emerge, including a mixed-reality spectator view, where some virtual machines drive head-mounted displays for participants, while others drive virtual cameras for observers.

“The possibilities are endless,” said Tom Kaye, a senior solutions architect at NVIDIA who helped develop the system. “With the addition of remote management and reliability features, such as multiple templates, clone on boot and remote rebuilds, we could see system builders working to create a robust, ready-to-deploy multi-user VR appliance.”

untitled-1.jpg.c753dcb0c374d787e5c10fe8a58c4497.jpg

I could think of some neat gaming setups for this where you could have everyone in the same room for a Multiplayer VR experience.  Now if you could have a truly wireless VR setup with this in a large space (like a warehouse) that could make for a great time with some future potential games. xD  So how about it @Slick or @LinusTech, do you think you could get NVidia to loan you some time to play with this?

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GTC-17-NVIDIA-Demos-Professional-Multi-User-VR

Alright, zMeul, stop taking all the cool tech stories for yourself.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Linus said on the wan show last week (I think it was last week) that nvidia just ignores his requests for the new Titan xp..p.. So I think they would just ignore that request as well. 

7 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Linus said on the wan show last week (I think it was last week) that nvidia just ignores his requests for the new Titan xp..p.. So I think they would just ignore that request as well. 

even jay had to beg them for the titan Xp's for the terry crews build, before that it was looking to be easier to get them...

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

New 4 VR gamers one computer video here we come

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

26 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

I do wonder if they would have to go with the Quadro cards or if it could be done with four 1080Ti.  Does the VR setup that they are implementing require the full Quadro card with all 24 GB of GDDR5X?  

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I do wonder if they would have to go with the Quadro cards or if it could be done with four 1080Ti.  Does the VR setup that they are implementing require the full Quadro card with all 24 GB of GDDR5X?  

No, it doesn't. Most VR games only use 4-5GB max. They likely did it as a PR boost.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Well that's not exactly special is it? O_o

It's 4 gamers 1 cpu basically. With the VR tech of today this is stupidly easy...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I have to wonder if it's worth it though, especially considering that each of those Quadros is more than enough for an entire VR-ready PC

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have to wonder if it's worth it though, especially considering that each of those Quadros is more than enough for an entire VR-ready PC

I think it's easily a PR move by Nvidia. GPU pass-through would work on nearly any video card that can work with VR.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

16 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I think it's easily a PR move by Nvidia. GPU pass-through would work on nearly any video card that can work with VR.

You mean that NVidia want to sell people on a $30,000 system when this could be done on about $10,000 worth of hardware? (slight sarcasm?)  Would love to see this done on a system with four 1080 Ti or even Titan Xp.  It still seems like a neat concept to have a single system running four VR setups together, especially if the system can ensure that there is a lagless experience for all the users.

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

You mean that NVidia want to sell people on a $30,000 system when this could be done on about $10,000 worth of hardware? (slight sarcasm?)  Would love to see this done on a system with four 1080 Ti or even Titan Xp.  It still seems like a neat concept to have a single system running four VR setups together, especially if the system can ensure that there is a lagless experience for all the users.

Why sell the $300 GPU when you can easily sell the $1000 GPU?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

Well idk what the intent of this is.  Quadros exist for a reason - there are certain companies that will buy them for certain situations where the make sense, like how sometimes you want/need ECC RAM.  But if it's not that, and it's something anyone could do on desktop hardware, I think your sarcasm is rightly placed :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Well that's not exactly special is it? O_o

It's 4 gamers 1 cpu basically. With the VR tech of today this is stupidly easy...

Thats basically what i read it as. Sure its kinda cool that they were able to pass through the VR systems to the VMs, but its hardly groundbreaking and it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the hardware itself.

CoolStoryDude.jpg but doesnt really change much. Possibly it could give arcades the idea they could have some sort of VR booths (Hackers-1995 anyone?) but other than that its a tech demo that has little impact on the real world.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

It's neither a PR move or intended for the consumer market, this is very much intended for the larger scale professional uses by enterprise partners who want the reliability of Quadro and can afford the premium.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

6 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Thats basically what i read it as. Sure its kinda cool that they were able to pass through the VR systems to the VMs, but its hardly groundbreaking and it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the hardware itself.

CoolStoryDude.jpg but doesnt really change much. Possibly it could give arcades the idea they could have some sort of VR booths (Hackers-1995 anyone?) but other than that its a tech demo that has little impact on the real world.

I actually meant VM, only now i spotted my error :D

VR, VM, whatever. It's not a big deal.

Even the template and clone stuff is literally a 1-click job or a very little wizard to make sure the name and location is right.

Anyway, it is indeed a possibly good option for booths. Issue is however that 1 hardware failure takes out the complete thing which isn't ideal.

I really don't know who exactly are they targeting here. Every person that has potential interest in this probably also knows how this works and knows it's not very special.

Anyway, if this boosts the VR marketshare, good job nvidia, but that's not something i'm expecting to happen.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

if I remember correctly Nvidia only allows GPU passthrough with quadro/tesla cards, as the drivers will detect it running inside a VM. Of course there are many ways around the issue, but they wouldn't want to show anyone themselves.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Just as a note, the pictured setup is likely aimed at design professionals. For instance, if you are making a massive 3D map for a project site, all of those GPUs would likely get utilized. I do not think that this is a PR thing, but is aimed at extremely high-end professional users like cartographers or others that work with utterly massive real-world design projects, like architects.