£800 Build - Draft #2, Any Thoughts?

Here we are again, I have done some soul searching, haggled 100 quid extra for the budget and have come up with a new plan and as I haven't built a rig for ages, I want to know what all of you think on my plan.

First off, the reason for building a new computer is the mobo on my old one is kapout so hence the excuse for buying a new computer.

However, I am able to recover the SSD and PSU from the old build hence why they are marked as purchased in the build, but I've been hearing that the PSU I have is a bit crap and as I'm building this new computer with longevity in mind, I want to know if it is worth getting a newer, better one.

To most people, getting a H440 at this tier of build seems like a waste of money, but I love the H440, so I feel it is essential to get one now that I can afford one.

In addition, the mobo and CPU cooler seem like odd choices but I feel style is, for me anyway, very important in a build and so I am going with a white/black themed build hence the choice of said items.  Also that mobo is sexy af.

I have gone with Intel and Nvidia for this build also as at least when I built my last computer, AMD had a bad rep and so I stayed away from them, however I know they just released a bunch of new stuff and so I would like to know if there is major benefits to switching to the red side but if there isnt significant gains for the price, then I would rather stay blue and green.

Finally, I should mention that I like to do a bit of everything with my computers and so versatility is important.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£215.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£31.97 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£151.06 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston - Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (£65.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Sandisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£41.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB ARMOR OCV1 Video Card  (£221.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: NZXT - H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£99.74 @ Ebuyer) 
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For £50.00) 
Total: £917.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-07 14:16 BST+0100

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

I would just get a new psu, the psu you have isn't very good.

I would recommend a 580 8gb instead, it performs similarily and has more vram for better futureproofing.

I'd recommend a 1600 instead, as it's cheaper and while it has lower averages the minimums are higher (which are arguably more important).

Also, why a C7? It's for SFX cases.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Also, why a C7? It's for SFX cases.

Cause I like the colours and the super low profile - It's like a better functioning, better looking stock cooler which was kinda what I was going for.

get rid of the expensive case, overclookable cpu, and z170 mainboard.

go for i5 7500 and an H110 Chipset Mainboard. and maybe look for a used gtx1070 ?

1 minute ago, MachmirIndiehos said:

get rid of the expensive case, overclookable cpu, and z170 mainboard.

go for i5 7500 and an H110 Chipset Mainboard. and maybe look for a used gtx1070 ?

whats wrong with an unlocked CPU?

Also I thought about getting used parts but I want this rig to last like 5 years and I'm not sure if a used part could do that.

because they are expensive and dont really benefit your performance.

16 minutes ago, xvantok said:

Here we are again, I have done some soul searching, haggled 100 quid extra for the budget and have come up with a new plan and as I haven't built a rig for ages, I want to know what all of you think on my plan.

First off, the reason for building a new computer is the mobo on my old one is kapout so hence the excuse for buying a new computer.

However, I am able to recover the SSD and PSU from the old build hence why they are marked as purchased in the build, but I've been hearing that the PSU I have is a bit crap and as I'm building this new computer with longevity in mind, I want to know if it is worth getting a newer, better one.

To most people, getting a H440 at this tier of build seems like a waste of money, but I love the H440, so I feel it is essential to get one now that I can afford one.

In addition, the mobo and CPU cooler seem like odd choices but I feel style is, for me anyway, very important in a build and so I am going with a white/black themed build hence the choice of said items.  Also that mobo is sexy af.

I have gone with Intel and Nvidia for this build also as at least when I built my last computer, AMD had a bad rep and so I stayed away from them, however I know they just released a bunch of new stuff and so I would like to know if there is major benefits to switching to the red side but if there isnt significant gains for the price, then I would rather stay blue and green.

Finally, I should mention that I like to do a bit of everything with my computers and so versatility is important.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£215.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£31.97 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£151.06 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston - Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (£65.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Sandisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£41.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB ARMOR OCV1 Video Card  (£221.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For £50.00) 
Total: £917.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-07 14:16 BST+0100

1. Why Cryorig C7? Get H7 instead, the C7 can only handle light OC

2. Mobo a bit overkill but that's fine

3. 8GB RAM for this budget? Seriously? You should get 16GB

4. Get RX 480/580 8GB at a lower price

5. PSU mediocre, get a better one

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Surely overclocking has worthwhile benefits

Will benefit in games.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

1. Why Cryorig C7? Get H7 instead, the C7 can only handle light OC

2. Mobo a bit overkill but that's fine

3. 8GB RAM for this budget? Seriously? 4. You should get 16GB

Get RX 480/580 8GB at a lower price

5. PSU mediocre, get a better one

Ok, is 8 gigs of RAM worth it? Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to put more money into a part that can't be upgrade easily (i.e CPU/GPU/Mobo) and then buy abother dimm down the line?

I get that the RX480/580 are cheaper but isn't the 1060 6 gb better?

1 minute ago, xvantok said:

Surely overclocking has worthwhile benefits

You won't be doing much overclocking with a C7 as it won't handle it.

Just now, lee32uk said:

You won't be doing much overclocking with a C7 as it won't handle it.

Fair enough.  

Just now, xvantok said:

Ok, is 8 gigs of RAM worth it? Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to put more money into a part that can't be upgrade easily (i.e CPU/GPU/Mobo) and then buy abother dimm down the line?

I've already encountered multiple people on this forum so have had stuttering issues due to 8gb ram. It's worth it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

I've already encountered multiple people on this forum so have had stuttering issues due to 8gb ram. It's worth it.

Decent - So should I  just grab a 2x8gb kit then?

1 minute ago, xvantok said:

Decent - So should I  just grab a 2x8gb kit then?

Definitely.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, xvantok said:

RX 580 8GB > 1060 6GB (8 or 9 Gbps)

Also, get a r5 1600, performs similarly, but is cheaper when paired with a B350 mobo.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£199.98 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£39.35 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£106.57 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£119.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB PULSE Video Card  (£225.59 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £923.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-07 14:44 BST+0100