Comprehensive Memory Overclocking Guide

Now that I'v seen this post again, I have to sit down and tinker with this 3600 and see how the memory behaves

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering if my IMC is faulty on my 6700k with z170 board. I cannot use more than 1.150v for VCCIO however VCCSA can go all the way up to 1.35v no issue. If i set VCCIO to anything over 1.150v the audio becomes completely distorted and unbarable. The system also appears to lose its snappy-ness?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

10 hours ago, Benji_w said:

I'm wondering if my IMC is faulty on my 6700k with z170 board. I cannot use more than 1.150v for VCCIO however VCCSA can go all the way up to 1.35v no issue. If i set VCCIO to anything over 1.150v the audio becomes completely distorted and unbarable. The system also appears to lose its snappy-ness?

VCCIO isn't something that provides stability the higher it gets. It's actually very sensitive to "voltage holes" where certain values (both low or high) are simply unstable. For example: I've had scenarios where 950mv was stable but 1000mv wasn't. 50mv difference resulted in complete instability. 1050 was just as stable as 950.

I do not like the modern trend of throwing more VCCIO/VCCSA at things for stability, but I am seeing it far more often with most memory overclockers these days. My testing just doesn't show good scaling. The same can be said with VDDP on AMD. If you pay attention to AM5 and the latest 1.0.0.7B AGESA firmware, they actually lowered VDDP from 1.15V down to .9V on most boards because vendors were throwing way too much voltage at XMP kits, resulting in instability and higher boot times. People attributed faster boots to MCR, but it was actually the VDDP voltage.

For your issue in particular, might be worth trying a different BIOS. The noise you are hearing can be caused by impedance which would explain why VCCIO is impacting the noise. I would also recommend experimenting with lower VCCIO voltages, I promise you can find stability just as easily with less voltage.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 8/1/2023 at 2:31 PM, MageTank said:

VCCIO isn't something that provides stability the higher it gets. It's actually very sensitive to "voltage holes" where certain values (both low or high) are simply unstable. For example: I've had scenarios where 950mv was stable but 1000mv wasn't. 50mv difference resulted in complete instability. 1050 was just as stable as 950.

I do not like the modern trend of throwing more VCCIO/VCCSA at things for stability, but I am seeing it far more often with most memory overclockers these days. My testing just doesn't show good scaling. The same can be said with VDDP on AMD. If you pay attention to AM5 and the latest 1.0.0.7B AGESA firmware, they actually lowered VDDP from 1.15V down to .9V on most boards because vendors were throwing way too much voltage at XMP kits, resulting in instability and higher boot times. People attributed faster boots to MCR, but it was actually the VDDP voltage.

For your issue in particular, might be worth trying a different BIOS. The noise you are hearing can be caused by impedance which would explain why VCCIO is impacting the noise. I would also recommend experimenting with lower VCCIO voltages, I promise you can find stability just as easily with less voltage.

I wasn't aware of that, does VCCSA follow the same trend? if so i'll do more testing with that. As for my VCCIO voltage i think i've found the sweet spot for it so will just leave it pinned there. My board has the current available bios and i won't be getting any updates now as its Z170.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

5 hours ago, Benji_w said:

I wasn't aware of that, does VCCSA follow the same trend? if so i'll do more testing with that. As for my VCCIO voltage i think i've found the sweet spot for it so will just leave it pinned there. My board has the current available bios and i won't be getting any updates now as its Z170.

It does, but to a lesser extent. When I used skylake, I didn't exceed 1.15v on either rail, but once I got my OC dialed in, both were stable at 950mv. VCCSA tends to scale a little better though, so having it be higher than VCCIO wouldn't be uncommon, just make sure you avoid pushing too high. Most of the people recommending 1.3-1.35v on VCCSA back then had no idea about IMC longevity on Skylake, they were just taking a guess at it, lol.

As for the BIOS, newest isn't always the best, especially when it comes to memory stability. If it supports rolling back, might be worth trying a different BIOS from an earlier version. I don't know if people discuss BIOS testing when it comes to memory OC on LTT, but the OCN forums might have older threads where this was investigated on the Intel CPU's sub-forum.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.