Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steam Hardware Survey Hyperthreading

According to the "Steam Hardware & Software Survey: March 2017" it appears that most users are using quad cores, with 50.08% with a quad core and 43.84% with a dual core. (I am assuming that when the survey says "CPU" they mean core, because I assume that most users don't have multi-socket and CPU setups.) Although the number of users with dual cores is quite high in my opinion, it isn't all that surprising. What I can't wrap my head around is that somehow they claim that 54.39% of those who took the survey have hyperthreading, this number can be found under "Other Settings (Windows)" at the bottom of the page. That is a higher number than the sum of the percentages of all the CPUs with more than two cores, which comes out at 54.47%. So therefore at least about half a percent of all users have hyperthreaded dual cores, and that is assuming that all triple cores or higher have hyperthreading. Maybe I am wrong and there are actually that many users with hyperthreading dual cores and quad cores, but I somehow feel this number is inaccurate. Is there another meaning of hyperthreading that I am not understanding? Does it merely mean multiple threads according to the survey, but that doesn't make since to me because then it should be about 98%? If anyone could explain what this means I would appreciate the assistance.

Also I am using the numbers from the "PC Physical CPU Details" (only Windows) section for the CPU count information instead of from the graphs, which also for some reason vary slightly, although I assume due to OSX and Linux.

Steam does know the difference between logical and physical cores according to the System Information section. Below is a snapshot of my build:

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.c6d2e0d26bf3c456e8ef0cf2fac44b50.PNG

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Core i3 and core i7 processors (for desktop) have hyper-threading for the last couple of generations, so not really surprising that about half of the people have hyper-threaded CPU's

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

9 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

Core i3 and core i7 processors (for desktop) have hyper-threading for the last couple of generations, so not really surprising that about half of the people have hyper-threaded CPU's

I can vouch for laptops having hyperthreading for several generations now as well as it's more power efficient to more effectively utilize fewer cores than to underutilize more cores.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

fyi hyperthreading gives a approx. 3-10% bonus to a core. its a virtual core (not real),software realted

Just now, FAQBytes said:

I can vouch for laptops having hyperthreading for several generations now as well as it's more power efficient to more effectively utilize fewer cores than to underutilize more cores.

I'm fairly certain though that Steam is only looking at physical cores, rather than including logical cores, considering the title of the section is "Physical CPUs." Logical cores are not physical, and if you look at the 8 CPU area, it looks really low, like "hyper-threading is not included" low.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

5 minutes ago, jools said:

fyi hyperthreading gives a approx. 3-10% bonus to a core. its a virtual core (not real),software realted

depends on use, but its about 30% for vm's and 3d rendering and other cpu compute tasks.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

depends on use, but its about 30% for vm's and 3d rendering and other cpu compute tasks.

yes totally agree , its a pass off processing for when cores become inactive. the real question is how many programs or games are written with hyper threading in mind. let me tell you, not many.

just rendering , encoding and not gaming. thou I must disagree with your 30% estimate, the reviews ive read state that hyperthreading only gives a max of 10% better performance but only with progs that utilise this feature......don't believe the hype

Just now, jools said:

yes totally agree , its a pass off processing for when cores become inactive. the real question is how many programs or games are written with hyper threading in mind. let me tell you, not many.

just rendering , encoding and not gaming. thou I must disagree with your 30% estimate, the reviews ive read state that hyperthreading only gives a max of 10% better performance but only with progs that utilise this feature......don't believe the hype

I have tested it my self and gotten 30% gain in 3d rendering.

You don't write a program to use hyperthreading or smt, you write it to use multiple threads, and the kernel decides what executes it.

correct again, but I wont argue semantics(write a program to use hyperthreading vs multiple threads) . programs written for single cores run better without HT enabled while number cruncher progs (encoders/renderes) do. and yes my adobe progs run great with HT but we only disagree over 20% . I am currently looking for these earlier reviews ive read concerning this issue, they were quite in depth and covered single quad and ht quad cores