Windows 10 Game Mode Tested

Didn't know that existed

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well... Err.... 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, nicklmg said:

Today... I think it's important to note that lately we've been doing more than one video a day, not less :P 

yeah, the multiple videos a day made things a bit unpredictable especially the mix of trade show videos and regular videos and I know Linus isn't much a fan of multiple videos in a day due to how Youtube does it's thing (as he has mentioned during WAN Shows and other stuff several times).

Game mode does far less than the across the board improvement you get from disabling unneeded startup items, services, and windows telemetry.

Most applications that add startup items, don't need them to be fully functional. Some applications use startup items to simply partially or fully load the application at startup so they appear to load faster when you actually want to use them.

Overall instead of using game mode, simply disable every single startup item and service that you don't need. And disabling as much of the spying that windows does will also improve performance as most of the microsoft spying runs at the highest priority levels, and can readily perform interrupts.

Short answer.

It makes it worse.

I think gamemode is because they can´t figure out how to stop Windows update and telemetry starting and chugging hard on the CPU while doing tasks that is battery critical or performance critical. Now they "fixed" the performance critical part but I think that telemetry management is still going to pop up at 80% cpu when i'm doing CAD on my laptop on battery so it runs out while i'm on the train with no outlet. 

Just fix your recourse management microsoft. It worked so well in W8.1 why not in W10?

All 3 systems were Intel and Nividia systems. ffs the bias is so clear :/ good job you tested on 50% of the hardware available.

How on earth you can argue a budget system is the i3 7350k instead of the R5 1400 I have no fucking idea...

Also 1050Ti is garbage compared to the very similarly priced RX 470/570

Microsoft stated themselves that Game Mode wasn't going to magically improve the performance of anything unless it was a game running on the Universal Windows Platform, and even then, not all that much. Win32 apps wouldn't get much of an improvement at all because they're already talking pretty "low level" as far as the kernel/userland interaction is concerned.There was a reason why Microsoft kept this pretty low key.

If the OS is only chewing up say 0.5% of the CPU time doing background tasks, you really think you're going to get a 10%+ performance boost?

I didn't watch the video yet, but I hope he tested on older hardware aswell since that's where you will see a difference. Not on new hardware.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

RIP ryzen test bed 

Looks like they got a stern talking to and slap on the wrist by the Intel/Nvidia syndicate.

Is anyone else having problems getting the video to play? I tested out other YouTube videos, and they're working fine, but this particular one says it's "restricted" and I should "Sign in with a different google account."

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Holy shit it's like Microsoft can't make anything right. So turning off "game mode" actually makes games perform significantly worse, regardless of if you have a high, mid or low end system?

As in, it should never be enabled regardless of what system you are using?

That is so bad... And they have the guts to actually have it enabled by default.

I guess that if you are running on a really old computer, and you got a billion malware and other programs running in the background you might see a slight benefit.

43 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Microsoft stated themselves that Game Mode wasn't going to magically improve the performance of anything unless it was a game running on the Universal Windows Platform, and even then, not all that much. Win32 apps wouldn't get much of an improvement at all because they're already talking pretty "low level" as far as the kernel/userland interaction is concerned.There was a reason why Microsoft kept this pretty low key.

If the OS is only chewing up say 0.5% of the CPU time doing background tasks, you really think you're going to get a 10%+ performance boost?

Except you know... The UWP game ran significantly worse with game mode on.

Turning game mode on DROPPED the FPS from 91 to 32 in the UWP game.

There is a similar third party product on the market called Process Lasso.

If also features a game mode, and things it does are:

- Enable high performance power profile. (eg: no multiplier speedsteps or core parkgings)

- Put the game process in a higher scheduling priority.

What Windows could add here are:

- Clear more RAM by moving other stuff to the pagefile.

- Disable the Windows button.

In general, a "game mode" won't make any difference if all your PC is doing is gaming.

But if you PC is also downloading stuff, or even the complete worse you can do during a game, run a full heuristic virus scan.

Both above solutions can put the virus scan to the lowest priority ever, making all the resources available to the game.

The benchmarks performed in this video are therefore deceiving, and don't show much research into the subject. It's just a waste of time to perform those benchmarks.

Instead, try the benchmarks again, but now with prime 95 running on 75% of the cores.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That is so bad... And they have the guts to actually have it enabled by default.

Ugh, I didn't realize it was enabled by default.  Sneaky sneaky.  Thanks for pointing that out.  For those wondering, Settings > "Gaming" > "Game Mode" tab on the left > Toggle "Use Game Mode" switch.  Not sure if it was actually enabled in any of my specific games, but it certainly won't be now.  

Turning game mode on DROPPED the FPS from 91 to 32 in the UWP game.

The 99.9% results to be precise.  Still really awful, though!  :|

On my absolutely shitty laptop with a A6-4400 APU, it did noticeably make a RPGMaker game run better. The game was hitching every few seconds, but after I turned game mode on the hitching disappeared.

My hypothesis is that this shit is made for APUs in laptops, possibly helps keep the temps down on both the GPU cores and the CPU cores.

You'd think having it run through the game bar would just add extra proccesses anyway?