Jump to content

Does enabling Hardware Virtualization affect performance in any way?

Hey i got an android emulator and it says that i should enable Hardware Virtualization to gain more performance in the emulator.

My question is could enabling this affect my system's performance in a negative way?

 

I have an i5-6600k Overclocked to 4.5GHz with an Asus Z170A mobo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, its a separate set of features (called VT-X by Intel) and has no impact on performance outside of virtualised environments.

 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/06/25/understanding-vt-d-intel-virtualization-technology-for-directed-io

 

Ignore that, it covers VT-D and not VT-X.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it just allows VM's to send commands straight to the cpu instead of going through the host OS. It's a sort of side door you open. Front door is for your windows system and the back door should be shut :P

 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

No, it just allows VM's to send commands straight to the cpu instead of going through the host OS. It's a sort of side door you open. Front door is for your windows system and the back door should be shut :P

 

 

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nope, its a separate set of features (called VT-X by Intel) and has no impact on performance outside of virtualised environments.

 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/06/25/understanding-vt-d-intel-virtualization-technology-for-directed-io

 

Ignore that, it covers VT-D and not VT-X.

 

7 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

No, it's a HW feature as far as I know.

I see thanks everyone! :)

Also this is off topic but is there a way to reply to everyone without creating a giant wall of quotes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Amateur Gamer said:

 

 

I see thanks everyone! :)

Also this is off topic but is there a way to reply to everyone without creating a giant wall of quotes?

You can tag them, for example @Amateur Gamer :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you dig through Group Policy there is also some Virtualization settings that are Windows based on the Software side of things. like App-V this may effect preformance as it's sometimes running as background proccess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

emulators like virtualbox need VT-D or VT-X enabled to have them work properly.

 

VT-D is an extension of VT-X.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×