Are Sennheisers game zero's crap? Or is it just my on board sound...

So I'm currently looking for an amp/dac(adc?) preferably with a mic input, to drive my new Sennheiser game zero's because they sound pretty muddy/just worse than my old headset (steelseries sibera v2) with my Z170-A's on board sound (crystal sound 3) and I'm wondering if this Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD would be any good? Or am I better off getting a FiiO - E10K and just use an extension cable to plug the mic into my PC's onboard sound? I don't know much about audio, to be honest, but what I do know is I prefer my 13€ sony earbuds to this headset so I'd like to at least try an amp/dac before I return them to amazon.

I have the g4me one's (which are just the open back version) and I have them directly plugged into a PS4 via a usb adapter, they dont sound muddy at all. I dont belive they need a DAC/AMP, they should be powered fine on their own?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, Xarvz said:

-snip-

Those headphones shouldn't need a amp. They're designed to run on normal devices (16 ohm or less)

I did try my HD600 headphones on my cousin's X99 board with Crystal sound 2 as well. While it wasn't as loud as my sound card, it still was clear to me.

You only need a amp if your current solution isn't loud enough. On my sound card, 40% volume is plenty good for me. However, on my server onboard, I can literally go from 20 to 90% and hear no increase in volume because my server's onboard isn't so great (well, server board...didn't expect much).

Have you plugged it in the right input in the back?

If you have, try the front input or vice versa.

Have you tried them with a different source (phone, or other PC)?

1 hour ago, Xarvz said:

So I'm currently looking for an amp/dac(adc?) preferably with a mic input, to drive my new Sennheiser game zero's because they sound pretty muddy/just worse than my old headset (steelseries sibera v2) with my Z170-A's on board sound (crystal sound 3) and I'm wondering if this Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD would be any good? Or am I better off getting a FiiO - E10K and just use an extension cable to plug the mic into my PC's onboard sound? I don't know much about audio, to be honest, but what I do know is I prefer my 13€ sony earbuds to this headset so I'd like to at least try an amp/dac before I return them to amazon.

Do they make a good seal on your head. My pair dont make a good seal on my head and sound totally different to when i position the cups so they make a good seal. If this is the case its just design flaws and size of heads.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 PM, TVwazhere said:

I have the g4me one's

I might try them instead.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:06 PM, scottyseng said:

You only need a amp if your current solution isn't loud enough.

I've decided on not wasting my money on a DAC. They can be pushed to ear bleeding volume already.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:07 PM, MVPernula said:

Have you plugged it in the right input in the back?

If you have, try the front input or vice versa.

Yes and yes.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:43 PM, HydraGaming said:

Have you tried them with a different source (phone, or other PC)?

Yes.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:06 PM, Ahoy Hoy said:

Do they make a good seal on your head.

I think so, the sound of my own voice is pretty muted.

17 hours ago, lw88 said:

The siberias may have had over-emphasised treble in comparison to the sennheisers. Give them a week or more before you make the decision.

That's one week too many.